This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Just Too Nice

We get tech calls all the time for stuff we don't make. Customers think owning a license for our software entitles them to free support on everything.

I know it's a common problem for every company which provides free tech support on their product.

But what really steams me is that other manufacturers in our industry actually foist their tech calls onto us. It's bad enough when the customer is actually using our product with theirs. Even if the problem isn't with our product, there's at least the fact that the customer is trying to use our product.

But today, I got a call from a customer who owns our product, but wasn't using it when he ran into a problem...

Me: What can I help you with?

Caller: I'm having trouble getting [Software Product C] to work well with [Hardware Device A].

Me: OK. Do you have [the product we make] open?

Caller: No.

Me: [Software Product C] and [Hardware Device A] are both made by [Inept]. This is [Awesome Software]. You'll need to contact [Inept] for support with their products.

Caller: So the scripts you guys wrote for [Software Product C] don't work on [Hardware Device A]?

Me: No. We wrote those scripts to make only our own product work better with [Software Product C]. It's up to other manufacturers and [Inept] to work out scripts for their products.

Caller: Well I called [Inept] and they told me you wrote the scripts and to call you about the problem.

Me: I'm sorry, but we don't support [Inept] products unless you are having trouble using them with our product.

Caller: So you won't even try?

Me: I can send you through to Carl, in case he has some insight I don't, but it sounds to me like you'll have to contact [Inept]. One moment, please...[transferred].

If this was the only call of that sort, I'd think the customer was lying about trying [Inept] and being told to call us. But [Inept] foists their tech support onto us all the time. I don't know what to do about it either. Unlike the above example, it's often not clear that which company's product is causing the issue, so we can't just say "no" most of the time. [Inept] just won't even try. Jerks. :angry:
    Last edited by Dips; 02-20-2007, 04:46 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Used to have this issue even though we didn't provide free support with my first job. I eventually got fed up with it and conference called the company. Fortunately though I knew I could trust my client to remain silent while I did the talking.

I did this a few more times whenever we got calls foisted off on us from this same particular company. I'd say maybe 1 in 50 calls the customer was lying about having tried them which they got caught out on in the call. Other times the other company was just being lazy. We were also small company, which it sounds like your in a similar situation Dips, so I managed to convince the other techs to start doing the same thing any time they sent a problem over to us that wasnt our issue we would conference call them and do the tech call from there. It was even more delicious if the customer knew who they had spoken to at said other company so we could ask for them by name

Anyway they eventually got the hint and stopped sending problems our way. Just one thing ya might try and I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Chanlin; 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM. Reason: somone (not me hehe) needs to learn to proofread

Comment

[Inept] foists their tech support onto us all the time.
      come ooooonnnnn name inept, youre killing me with who never to go to!

Comment

Quoth yahurd View Post
        come ooooonnnnn name inept, youre killing me with who never to go to!
        How about not?

Obviously, the OP chose not to name names for a reason, such as the possibly of getting us or herself sued. Even if it's highly unlikely, it's better to be safe than sorry.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

It's a general piece of advice on this site that we try to obfuscate where we work. There are some companies who search for mention of themselves so they can rid themselves of disgrunled employees. It's quite easy to say that you work at, for example, MacDonald's, since there are so many of them around that it's easy to be anonymous.

Rapscallion

Comment

Roger that red leader
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I remember having hundreds of customers come into my store at Chesterfield, and ask "Do you guys have *insert popular, unreleased video game here*?"
              M: "No, seeing as we are a video store, and as such, do NOT sell video games. Game Stop is down the hall and on your right."
              "Oh, I went there, they told me to come here."
              M: "No, they didn't. They're in here all the time, they know we're a movie store, not to mention, that game isn't out yet. Now then, if you're looking, perhaps, for Star Wars, that I can help you with."
              "Nope... I'm looking for *game*."
              M: "Again, out the door, turn left, walk to the escalator, turn directly right, enter store, ask for *Jeff*. He can help you at least reserve the damn game."
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
              X