This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <sigh> the All-Star Game

I olny work one day a week at the hotel nowadays. And, strangely, i find myself missing the wayward, suckassery i used to deal with on a day to day basis. Some days even go by without even the smallest problem or harsh word, or misunderstanding. Then again..

Looks like i made up for lost time today:

"What All Star Game?"

Me: Thank you for calling.. blah blah blah...
    Clueless Lady: Yes i need a reservation for Sunday through Thursday.
    Me: We have a room for tomorrow night but we're sold out of everything for Monday and Tuesday nights.
    CL: Oh! My goodness! Why?
    Me: The baseball All Star game is in town those days.
    CL: Oh well i'm staying on business, i'm not going to that.
    Me: Ok...
    CL: ...
    Me: ...
    CL: Do you need a credit card or my name or something?
    Me: Oh, uh... Well we don;t have any rooms for the nights you need.
    CL: But i'm not there for the stupid game! This is BUSINESS RELATED.
    Me: I'm sorry but we don't have any rooms available for any purpose.
    CL: Whatever. This is stupid!

"What's Mine is Obviously Yours."

I brought a Snapple iced tea to work today for lunch because soda, although tasty, is evil and it is killing me... Our desk is tall and my side is just below the customer's writing surface. I put my unopened, ice cold, inviting Snapple up on my side of the desk to check someone in when some middle aged guy with an Oakley shaped sunburn on his face walks up, takes it and says:

Sunburn Guy: "Nice, Snapple, thank you very much!"
    Me: Sir, i have some bottled water back here.
    SG: No i'm cool with this thanks.
    Me: But i brought that from...
    SG: Hold on a sec <and he answers his phone and walks off, drinking MY tea>
    First Customer: Do you have any more of those?
    Me:

"Two beds are better than one."

Walk in sucky customers are way worse than phone sucky customers for obvious reasons. This illustrates it.

Lady: I need a room with two beds for tonight.
    Me: We're sold out of doubles tonight, i';m sorry. We have single kings.
    Lady: No, i need a double.
    Me: Wish i had one. They're all reserved or occupied.
    Lady: No. Double bed.
    Me: Yeah, sorry, i only have Kings.
    Lady: <glares at me, then yells at husband who wandered off toward the pamphlet racks> THEY ONLY HAVE KINGS! NO DOUBLES
    Man: Sonovabitch! <and he drops the Branson brochures he picked on the floor>
    Man: I TOLD you to make reservations! Dammit! <and they then start some Jon and Kate Plus 8 style argument on the way out the door.>

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post

I brought a Snapple iced tea to work today for lunch because soda, although tasty, is evil and it is killing me... Our desk is tall and my side is just below the customer's writing surface. I put my unopened, ice cold, inviting Snapple up on my side of the desk to check someone in when some middle aged guy with an Oakley shaped sunburn on his face walks up, takes it and says:

Me:
    What a dick! If this is like any hotel desk, I'm assuming that he had to reach over to get it? That alone should have told him it wasn't his to take!
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

It's a shame you didn't have another canned beverage... to wing at him

Seems like suckyness also comes in short, controlled bursts (inside joke)

Hope you get another break from it, at least.
      I like things that go *bang!*

Comment

I am not even a baseball fan, and I have known the All Star game has been coming for...weeks, months? Anyway, a while now. I wouldn't even want to venture into St. Louis around this time. Guh, people are idiots.
        --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

When the All-Star game was in Milwaukee (the year it ended in a tie. Only in Milwaukee!) the hotels were full up to my city, I heard.

The hotels got similarly packed for the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits (super-duper-mega-uber nice golf course less than half an hour away from me, that one of my co-workers works at), and they're going to be having the PGA Championship there again next year (I think), along with the Ryder Cup in a few years.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It's not just sporting events that will create hotel fill-ups out the wazoo . . .

In my area, twice a year we have the International Home Furnishings Market (in nearby High Point) and every hotel and motel will be filled as far east as Burlington and west to Winston-Salem.

And on top of that, there are people who will rent out their homes for the 10 day event to make extra cash. I image even some of them have seen some SC's . . .

Don't try to get anywhere on Interstate 40 or 85 during those days . . . you can't stir the traffic with a stick. And don't try to go out to a restuarant anywhere . . . I made that mistake many moons ago and we (me and a now ex) had went to 3 different places and they all had at least an hour and a half wait.

Sometimes it's better to just stay home.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Regarding the ass who stole the drink, I'd have called hotel security and had him ejected. The police wouldn't likely come out for petty theft, but he should have at the least not been allowed to remain there.
              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Me:
                Also, I think the first words out of your mouth were too polite.

The first words out of my mouth would've been 'That's mine, sir!' Then, if he continued to take it, it would be a clear cut case of theft.
                The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
                  Also, I think the first words out of your mouth were too polite.

The first words out of my mouth would've been 'That's mine, sir!' Then, if he continued to take it, it would be a clear cut case of theft.
                  Yeah, I think I would have at least made a comment that he'd have to pay for it. And then charged about 10 times the actual price.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"What All Star Game?"

Me: Thank you for calling.. blah blah blah...
                    Clueless Lady: Yes i need a reservation for Sunday through Thursday.
                    Me: We have a room for tomorrow night but we're sold out of everything for Monday and Tuesday nights.
                    CL: Oh! My goodness! Why?
                    Me: The baseball All Star game is in town those days.
                    CL: Oh well i'm staying on business, i'm not going to that.
                    Me: Ok...
                    CL: ...
                    Me: ...
                    CL: Do you need a credit card or my name or something?
                    Me: Oh, uh... Well we don;t have any rooms for the nights you need.
                    CL: But i'm not there for the stupid game! This is BUSINESS RELATED.
                    Me: I'm sorry but we don't have any rooms available for any purpose.
                    CL: Whatever. This is stupid!

.>
                    who cares WHAT you what the room for (HMMMMM business huh). yeah try that one during Packer Training camp later this month. at least in the past the 25 hotels my pizza place services are PACKED to the gills. now you have to remember that Green Bay and the surrounding area is not that big of a town. heck they fill the hotels on a game day sometimes all the way down to Oshkosh

AND right before training camp the EAA has its annual fly in convention/air show/get together. and just the masses from literally all over the world that come for that fill the hotels for a 50 mile radius
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I wouldn't have been all that nice if someone took my drink I brought from home....nope nope nope. I would have told that guest that I had bought that myself from home a bit quicker, and far more harshley becaue I go from nice happy desk person to "wtf lady" in .1 second. lol

One time my maintenance person left her strawberry mentos at the desk, I ran around the corner to get something, and some jackass of a guest had just picked it up off the desk & starting eating it. I came around stunned & said, "Those aren't even mine!" He said he didn't care....fucking jackass. He didn't have a reservation and I quoted him a super high rate cuz I didn't want to rent to the dick.
                      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I had a somewhat similar problem with my food.

I had a just opened bag of goldfish right beside the computer, which under normal circumstances most people would not be able to see, but not this guy, no. He just sensed my food with his power of douchebaggery.

He reached over the counter, stuck his hand in my bag and processed to "pretend" to steal my food.

I think I gave him a look of horror and I can't even remember what I said I was so pissed, but I threw the bag away after that. I am not eating food after some rudeass stranger stuck his hand in it.

I swear, hotel go-ers seem to think that everything really is theirs just because hotels are supposed to feel like "home". Pfft, if someone did that to me at home I'd have chopped their hand off. -.-

Comment

If it was me I would have told him to give it back right now. If he would have walked away like that I would have called security. He would have been made to leave AND he would have a $49.95 charge on his card for the drink.

He agreed to the price when he stole the drink in my opinion.

Comment

Oh, I think the Snapple-stealing jerk knew exactly what he was doing. Asshole.

Oh, and Getout, what sort of establishment are you running there? Did you miss the memo on how you're supposed to bump leisure travelers when there's someone coming ON BUSINESS? Sheesh! It's much more important than some stupid baseball game, after all, and a hotel's business is to cater to business travelers, not -- God forbid! -- fill all rooms to capacity! Eleventy!

Comment

I get to work to work the Home Run Derby tonight. I'm sure I will have some tales to tell, hopefully not too sucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X