This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule #1? Did I miss the joke?

I keep seeing people referring to forum members "breaking rule #1". This is said in a joking way, as opposed to a serious way, so I'm taking it that is isn't actually a RULE, so much as it is a shared joke that I can't find the origin of. My question is, what IS rule #1, and how are these people breaking it - and what are the rest of the rules?
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Rule #1 is: Never drink something while reading CS.
    Breaking rule one mean there is coffee all over the keyboard .

Comment

So what are the rest of the rules? Are there any?
      Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

It's not a formal rule, it's just a gag AFAIK; If you're worried about formal rules & regs, there's always the FAQ link at the top of every page.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Oh, I'm not worried about formal rules, I read those and I do my best to follow them every time I post. It's just that, as you said, the rule #1 thing was a gag, and I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any of the rest of the joke!

Comment

It's mainly used as a sort of humorous disclaimer when someone says "You owe me a new keyboard!" or something to that effect.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I believe there has only been one time where someone's thread wound up with a running count of how many times rule #1 was broken....

Here it is.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I think I was the one that came up with that "rule." I remember reading some really funny story on here while I was drinking something, and almost choked on my drink from laughing. I made a comment along the lines of, "We need a rule on here about not drinking anything while reading posts. I almost spewed beer all over my keyboard!" Next thing I knew, this became the famous "Rule #1."
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I can think of some new 'rules'

Rule #2 - Common sense and a SC/EW never the twain shall meet

Rule #3 - SC/EW(s) will always use "Customer Standard Time" (CST), which has no bearing on actual time ... at all.

Rule #4 - All rules and numbers can change depending on tides and time. As the members will it, so shall the rules and numbers be.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

And I'll be happy to help CS.com members follow Rule #34.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      And I'll be happy to help CS.com members follow Rule #34.
                      Between you and sheldonrs, I think that one is very well covered....
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        I think I was the one that came up with that "rule." I remember reading some really funny story on here while I was drinking something, and almost choked on my drink from laughing. I made a comment along the lines of, "We need a rule on here about not drinking anything while reading posts. I almost spewed beer all over my keyboard!" Next thing I knew, this became the famous "Rule #1."
                        I seem to remember a rule involving monkeys.....
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                        X