Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people are too busy to do necessary things.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When people are too busy to do necessary things.

Hello! Long time no sandwich. I've been working in receiving constantly since Hurricane Sandy, thank Celestia et al, so I haven't really had any chance to experience any specific nastiness other than the result of my own innate deafness. I miss you all! I say that as a potentially anonymous face, but whatever. :P I still miss y'all bunches. ^_^

Today was a rather hectic day. Basically I'm the individual that locates the special orders and puts them to the side, and does all the screen repair (Not frames - Just the screen fabric) and then makes a list of all of their names and numbers to give to the registers and customer service folks to call.

Except I also have a ton of other obligations to do which are all getting done. Receiving logs, paperwork, truck handling, transfer goods delegation, store-wide item dispersal, (I really wish I had a cannon, or a trebuchet.) and I build wheelbarrows, patio sets, swing sets, and other large items. Plus everyone, myself included, is only working four days a week, less than 30 hours. About half of those hours are definitely going to be truck-related.

So I barely get any time to do the screen repair. I do my best to make a list at least once a week, but it's not always the most possible thing. It can take a while, because people seriously do not like to pick up their stuff. They pay for things, and they're still in the special order / hold--aside bay a month later, with their receipt taped to the box. Everyone knows to only grab the item from that bay, too, and it's an extremely in-your-face area of the back room. There's no way they're grabbing anything from the floor.

Oh god I am rambling. I apologize. Anyway, the Customer Service folks definitely have occasional lapses in customers, during which time they place the phone calls. It usually happens on a Monday or Tuesday. Possibly Friday. If the load of special orders or screens is extremely large, and it has been, then my time might be better off spent finding the items or fixing the screens than making a list that will end up being vastly incomplete anyway, and is merely a repeat of people who have already been called.

I can't ask my coworkers for help with this list-making because either they can't make screens (refuse to learn) and they are repeatedly inept with these two particular tasks, bringing back the wrong items with a similar description, or being asked to do something else by some other uninvolved party.

---------------------------------

This is where the real meat of the topic comes into play. The cashiers haven't been calling everyone, apparently. Or maybe they have, and the answering machines are just eating all the messages. Because we just got a call from a person who says he had to get a message saying his screens are done four weeks after he sent them in. (I had them done the very afternoon I got them. They were tiny.) He complained, the call got escalated to corporate, and the cost of his screens were refunded plus a fifty dollar gift certificate.

His name went on my lists twice.

I'm not calling anyone from my cell phone. The receiving phone is for incoming calls only. Bossman doesn't want me out on the floor because the customers recognize me as being excellent, and they all seem to know me somehow, and I don't get back to receiving until an hour later, depriving him of his most loyal minion.

Oh I probably just needed to rant. Not sure how you made it this far. Congratulations! Ten points to Hufflepuff.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
    Oh god I am rambling. I apologize.
    Nothing wrong with rambling as long as you eventually reach the intended final destination of your story. Besides, sometimes it makes the journey more interesting.
    Last edited by EricKei; 06-20-2014, 02:36 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

"It can take a while, because people seriously do not like to pick up their stuff."

THIS. I work in a photo department of a well-known drugstore. We keep photo orders for SIX DANG MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!! We call the people, the automated system calls the people, and still they don't come get their orders. After six months, the order is destroyed and costed out in our system. Here's a prime example .....

A woman - who used to work for my store - ordered a photo for Father's Day. It was a picture of her and her father on her wedding day. It was really cute - the caption said "Happy Father's Day to the man who stole my heart first". Since she used to work here, she knows how things work here.

Father's Day was last Sunday. Today is Thursday. She has NOT picked it up. Really???? You "forget" to pick up the photo which was your ENTIRE present for your father on Father's Day?

And that's not to mention the ones who come into the store 8, 10, 12 months later and get MAD that we don't still have their photos!

Sheesh!

Comment

You are not allowed onto the sales floor.
        Because the customers all know you are really really good at your job.
        Pardon me for a moment...

*hahahahahhahaha*

Sorry about that, I believe you. It is just that I have never seen a manager prohibit a really good employee from going onto the floor because it would overload that person with work. That is just awesome.

As to the other part, I think someone is not calling or hanging up when they get a machine. Or not trying again after the first attempted call.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
        X