This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delusions of Adequacy (Long, sorry)

I was at a job today that was an 8 storey multi unit building. We were told to load the job, and prepare the equipment for work Monday, then we could go home for the day (Yah - early day!), so we were all moving fairly briskly. As I was jogging up the stairs, with a 35lbs bag of material over each shoulder, I ended up stuck behind this guy, who was with another trade on site. He was plodding very slowly and was large enough that I couldn`t go around him on the stairs, so I had to trudge up behind him at sloth speed until we got to the landing on the third floor - thank god, my load was getting heavy. He stopped to take a breather. He really needed it too, he placed his hands on his thighs (he was empty handed), he was panting and red, and looked like he`d just run a 1/2 marathon. He offered me to pass him, so I smiled a thanks and carried on.

I ran into him later on, as I was headed down the stairs to get more materials. I got in behind him on the stairs just past the 5th floor. At the third floor landing he again stopped for a breather. Going down the stairs. I made a comment about him to one of my coworkers, in the vein of - is he going to make the day? He`s exhausted already, and it`s 11:00. He replied that he had noticed him earlier, sweeping up sawdust, and he needed a breather from that also.

So when we are finished loading, we start getting the equipment ready to run, on various floors. I`m on the sixth floor working alone on one particular piece. He sees me stationary and decides to come over for a chat.
    DoA: So those guys are making you do this? What a bunch of assholes eh?
    Me: No, I assigned them all to do something else, I got this. It`s all good.
    DoA: They look like a bunch of assholes, are they really mean to you?
    Me: No, they are pretty good to me, it`s a pretty good group really.
    DoA: Well I wouldn`t be mean to you if I worked with you. I wouldn`t be an asshole.
    Me: Ok, great. So I should get this finished (Hint, go away, hint hint)
    DoA: Yeah, they`ll probably get really mad if you don`t get finished in time right? Bunch of assholes. I`ve got work to do too, those assholes want me to clean out the fifth floor for them. Stupid assholes. I'm not doing that, that's just a stupid job to give me. So see you.

Ok, well that was weird and uncomfortable.

We needed a couple parts to get the last two machines up and running for this particular set up, so I sent most of the guys home and went with one to town to get parts. Then we went back to site and went back to work, and I was on the eighth floor. Along comes my new bestest buddy.

DoA: Yeah the guys I work with are assholes too.
    (Now I know a lot of the guys he works with, I`ve seen them on site, and they all seem alright to me, but I don`t actually have to work with them, so I can`t be sure.)
    Me: Really, which ones.
    DoA: All of them! They are such jerks, I`ve been there almost 6 months and they are all awful to me, and they won`t even let me do most things. They make me sweep and carry things, and do all the stupid things anyone could do. It`s horrible.
    Me: Wow, that`s weird. One of our guys used to work there, he seemed to really like it. Did you have much experience before starting?
    DoA: No, but it`s really easy work, I caught on to everything right away, but they wouldn`t let me keep doing things, because I showed them up, I did things so much faster than them and better.
    Me (Okay, well I`ve seen you walking around, you are as slow as they come, but sure why not): So where did you work before?
    DoA: At (factory). It was horrible, everybody there was a total asshole. I had to quit they were so awful. Like the guys you work with. I can`t believe they left you here to do this alone, what mean guys eh?
    Me: No, they are good, I sent them home, this isn`t really an eight person job. So everyone at the factory was an asshole?
    (Note, there are about 250 people working at that particular factory)
    DoA: Oh, yeah. There wasn`t anyone there I could stand. So how is it to work here? I think I would like working here. The guys seem like total assholes though, but you are ok.
    Me: Ok, well thanks.
    DoA: Oh, great! So I am going to send a resume to you guys, so I can use you as a reference right?
    Me: Um, no, not really. I don't really know you at all, or if you would good. I'm not really comfortable giving you a reference.
    DoA: Oh, well that's okay, just tell your boss what a great guy I am. I'm really great to work with, I wont be an asshole to you. I've got to go, those assholes I work with are going to be looking for me, they want me to bring some more tools up from the truck. Like I'm going to do that for them, stupid assholes!

And off he goes.

So, you just asked me for a reference, or at least to put a good word in for you. I don't know your name. I don't know what you know how to do, what your work ethic is like, or if you are capable of learning new skills.

Things I do know about you:
    - You cant climb three flights of stairs without sounding like you are going to die; either there is something wrong with you or you are seriously out of shape, either way, you are not going to keep up.
    - The people you work with don't trust you with difficult tasks
    - You wont do tasks you are assigned
    - Everyone you have met (except me apparently) in the last two years is a total asshole; yes I'm sure the problem is all of them, and not you in the least
    - You would rather hide out and talk to people then to do your work
    - Your conversations make me uncomfortable

Why wouldn't I be happy to provide you a reference? This guy suffered from the worst case of delusions of adequacy I have seen in a long time. And I'm there for the next couple of weeks, unless I get assigned something else. *crosses fingers, hopes for powers of invisibility*
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
    I don't know what you know how to do, what your work ethic is like,

Things I do know about you:
    - The people you work with don't trust you with difficult tasks
    - You wont do tasks you are assigned
    Looks like you contradicted yourself. You do know - and it's negative information about him.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
      - Everyone you have met (except me apparently) in the last two years is a total asshole; yes I'm sure the problem is all of them, and not you in the least
      He needs this poster:
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yep, one thing I've always said is, if everybody you know can't stand you, the problem isn't them, it's you. Sounds like this guy fits that description.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
        X