This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been kidnapped!

So Monday was a little weird. I was woken up with a call from Bossman asking if I could come in early, like as soon as I could make it there (I was scheduled to work swing shift). So that threw a wrench into my plans for the day, but I was able to make it in about two and a half hours early.

When I arrived, Supervisor asked if I could switch a few shifts around. Okay, no problem. I mentally rearranged plans.

Then Bossman called me into his office, along with Manager. They shut the door. Have I ever mentioned how intimidating Bossman is? He doesn't have to try to be; he just is. Gulp.

Turns out, our wedding coordinator is overwhelmed, and they wanted me to serve as her temporary assistant until a permanent one can be hired. They said they chose me based on my performance and skills. I hope that's a positive comment and not their way of saying they just want to get rid of me (the sales offices are tucked away upstairs on the other side of the resort from the front office).

So Manager was frustrated because she didn't realize Bossman had called me in early and had been coordinating with Sales Director on my schedule for the day. Then Sales Coordinator called and told me to go up and shadow Wedding Coordinator. Then Manager said she had just gotten off the phone with Sales Director and said no they weren't ready because they didn't have a computer for me yet, and had to call him back to decide that yes I could shadow until they found a computer for me. So I didn't actually start until about half an hour before I normally would have anyway (which was okay...I still had to put together July's newsletter so that gave me some time to crunch a bit of that out).

So that's Supervisor, Manager, Boss Man, Sales Director, and Sales Coordinator all basically pulling me in different directions at once. (Wedding Coordinator was not actually involved in this...she was too busy going insane in her office, which is a typical day for her.)

Of course, with such short notice they didn't have anyone to cover the reservations shift I was originally scheduled, so even though I came in early I only had time for a little bit of training on the sales systems before I had to be back downstairs to stay for the rest of my originally scheduled shift. A coworker had to be called in Tuesday to cover my shift for that day, and I felt bad because he was supposed to be cleaning his place to move out that day. Also, Supervisor now has to completely redo the schedule she already re-did (and I have to re-plan my week around a completely new schedule).

I guess they just crossed me off the front office schedule yesterday, because I had a panicked email this morning from Night Auditor wondering what happened. He thought I had quit! Nope, I've just been kidnapped by another department for an indeterminate amount of time.

I wonder how many more panicked emails I will get from coworkers who see me crossed off the schedule... is it wrong that I kind of want to not say anything just to screw with them?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Sounds like you're the center of attention! Just so long as the bosses don't keep crossing each other up over you every day, I suppose it's forgivable. Since you're so competent, you might also want to wangle for a raise...

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      S...I wonder how many more panicked emails...
      A freshly raised mound with a wooden cross in a far corner of the golf course sounds fun...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        Since you're so competent, you might also want to wangle for a raise...
        They might make me stay up there, though. It's okay, but it's tedious, office work, doing the little busy bits that Wedding Coordinator (and other sales staff, when they can snag me) don't have time to or want to do. I'd prefer to be downstairs at the hub of it all!

GM keeps asking me if I like it up there. I don't want to flat-out say no, but I don't want to sound like I want to stay there.

The other day, my Front Office Manager asked if I liked it. I said it was okay. She laughed and said "That means no!"

I don't mind it and it's nice to learn the sales systems and gain insight into their whole process (and they have coffee in their office, which the front desk can't have), but I don't want to do it for an extended time.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
        X