This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate like me

At work, I am in charge of the internal employee newsletter.

Yesterday morning, first thing I get a phone call. From Corporate HR. *gulp*

HR: "Are you the one who does the newsletters for your property?"
    Me: "Yeah, pretty much." (thinking: is this about the Sia quote I hid in the last one?)
    HR: "I just want you to know I really enjoy them and it's something we want to do at other properties, so I just wanted to take some time to talk about your process."

Awww yeah, head office likes me!

(My "process", as I described it to Corp HR, was "I pester the other departments until they give me content for the newsletter.")
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Yay! Good for you!
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Nice to be noticed for a good thing I'm sure.

And you basically now have Corporate backing you to give your pestering more weight.

Comment

Ah, but then you convert their stream-of-consciousness babble into interesting newsletter snippets. And THAT is a skill that's worthy of note.

If you can figure out how you do it, do write that down for the corporate rep who contacted you. Similarly, write down any formatting tips and tricks, and how you 'pace' your newsletter.
        (EG: no more than two informative pieces in a row, at least one funny or human interest bit of news, a quote that seems to tie in with the lead informative item....)

Making something like a newsletter that's GOOD is a skill. You have it. Don't disregard it.
        And if you can contact the corporate person with a more detailed answer than 'I pester people until they give me content', that can go into your file. And you can go on record as having produced a 'template' for your company newsletters.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          'I pester people until they give me content',
          'I conduct interviews with members of other groups in order to obtain information that our readers might find relevant, and then I rework the info into articles that I believe they would find interesting to read...'
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            'I conduct interviews with members of other groups in order to obtain information that our readers might find relevant, and then I rework the info into articles that I believe they would find interesting to read...'
            "I carry a hammer and a reputation."
            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
            "What IS fun to fight through?"
            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

And if you feel like a spare hour without some of that pesky work,you can just carry around some files and if anyone notices,'doing work for the newsletter'...
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
              X