This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn to ask for luck

So I'm going for a job interview next week at a place in NSW. While I had no issue obtaining some semi-regular work in NSW, I don't know how long that'll last. I also need something a bit more regular so I'm not forking out so much in bus fare.

I applied and got an buzz the following day for an interview. The interviewer was EXTREMELY accommodating when I mentioned I wasn't in NSW just yet...I was NOT expecting that. She wanted me to go in today (Thursday). I told her that I would not be in NSW until the following week. She actually offered another time!

This school is a fairly small school (they only run up to Grade 2), so I'm only looking at around 35 kids max. The hours are fairly good (almost full-time).

Now here comes the all-important questions:

-I've put on my resume that I was due to complete my degree in June. This has changed, but I failed to correct it. If it comes up, what do I need to say?
    -I'm looking into the possibility of doing a traineeship so I can say that "yes I'm qualified" (at this stage, to work in after-school care in NSW you DO NOT NEED to be qualified) and my degree will not count towards that. I'm looking into the option of doing a traineeship since the place I'm looking at charges the EMPLOYER and the employer receives funding from the government so they don't lose out on costs. Woudl it be rude of me to bring this up in the interview? (the traineeship I'm looking at is for school-aged children since the early childhood one would require me to work in daycare and the daycares tend to be too gossipy)
    -What the flipping heck do I wear since this is a childcare interview?!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

On the schedule change -- If you have some sort of documentation that explains the change (especially if the school flat-out told you "things have changed on our end"), bring that letter or what have you, saying that it was a recent change that happened after you sent out your resume.

Perhaps leave out the "charges" part of training, but explain your existing qualifications and experience, and let them know that you are always willing to undergo additional training, in order to make yourself even more of an asset to their school/nursery/whatever. (As opposed to "becoming" an asset -- make sure they know you already are one!)

Clothes -- Yeah, interview clothes, nice and neat, but comfortable. Just as an aside (this is from an interview skills-type mini-course I once had to take), consider limiting the amount of accessories you wear (this goes for guys, too) -- preferably under ten total. This includes glasses (counts as two), earrings (ditto), watches, ties, rings, bracelets, belts, jackets or sweaters -- anything visible that is not part of the "clothing" itself. The general idea is not to appear "cluttered".
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Good luck good luck good luck!
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        -What the flipping heck do I wear since this is a childcare interview?!
        Jammies with wallaby feet.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Clothes -- Yeah, interview clothes, nice and neat, but comfortable. Just as an aside (this is from an interview skills-type mini-course I once had to take), consider limiting the amount of accessories you wear (this goes for guys, too) -- preferably under ten total. This includes glasses (counts as two), earrings (ditto), watches, ties, rings, bracelets, belts, jackets or sweaters -- anything visible that is not part of the "clothing" itself. The general idea is not to appear "cluttered".
          Question about accessories: for a woman who wears wedding/engagement/anniversary rings on the same finger, does that count as one or three?
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

O_o I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing or not.

I got an email today from the regional manager (the woman who is interviewing me). She asked me for an interview change. Given I've done the same on my end, I wasn't surprised, but it was the fact that she was basically heaping praise on my end for being OK with said change. (It wasn't a big one, just brings the interview a day forward and is on one of my days off)

Comment

Seanette -- At least, according to that teacher: each ring counts as "one," even if they're on the same limb/digit. e.g., a set of four really slender bangles on one wrist counts as four.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

OK, thanks for the info.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  consider limiting the amount of accessories you wear (this goes for guys, too) -- preferably under ten total. This includes glasses (counts as two), earrings (ditto), watches, ties,
                  Why do glasses count as two? Earrings are normally worn in pairs, and in a "must wear a suit" environment, a tie is pretty much mandatory (and doesn't everyone wear a watch?). Sounds like in a formal office environment, someone with poor eyesight is already nearly halfway to the limit (glasses, watch, tie) before they even start on optional stuff. If you also count the pen in their pocket (good idea to always have a writing implement handy), they are halfway to the limit.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

So the interview went well. It got off to a funny start though: I had envisioned the interviewer as someone wearing a uniform or dressed in formal business attire.

Nope.

Neither of us had realised that the other person was the one we were meant to meet.

Either way, I'm doing one trial shift to see how I go before it's determined if I get the job or not. The only reason why I didn't object to said trial shift was because it's only for 2 hours and will be kind of like my introduction into the school community. If all goes well, I'll have a job out of it. (I also haven't resigned from the company I'm working for yet) It also turns out that unpaid work trials are legal IF they are used to demonstrate your skills and knowledge and you're supervised at all times.

She also explained that because the school is so small, there's a hell of a lot more community involvement (80 children, the OSHC program takes 35) and she would like me to meet the P&C committee (Parents and Carers) as well. I'll also be working at the holiday care program that the company runs through another school.
                    Last edited by fireheart; 06-25-2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I got the job.

I start next week, so I'm going to call and resign from work tomorrow, still work out my Friday shift and then take 2 shifts in the following fortnight at one location. Saves me money in the long run (only one bus fare and it's for a shorter trip, I'm walking the other trip) and also means I'll actually get paid my final pay (pending a call to the labor board first: work has said 2 weeks notice, I'm casual so technically I'm not required to do so by law)

I'm actually helping run the school holiday program out at another service (unfortunately not the one that my brood attend), but I then start at my new school late July. It's a TINY school, 80 kids, around a third of them use the service. The school only goes up to Year 2.

Comment

Congratulations! Hope the job goes well.

Comment

Good show! Best of luck in your new position!
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Thanks y'all. I'm so excited.

The only downside is an early start in the mornings (much to the chagrin of my partner ), but otherwise it's all good.

We're celebrating by ordering pizza

I got my roster for the vacation care I'll be working at during the holidays. Holy smoke, I have more hours in the next two weeks than I received from my previous company. The only catch is that two of those days are split shift, which is a pain in the ass, but doable. I'm not doing any excursions this time around, which is fine by me as I would rather do excursions with children I HAVE worked with before, rather than complete strangers.
                            Last edited by fireheart; 06-27-2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X