This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird and wonderful first day

So I started my new job today...by wading in paperwork.

Seriously, we were that overstaffed today it wasn't even funny. (4 educators for 20 children. This service averages out to around 50 children. The ratio is 1 adult per 15 kids, we were 1 adult to FIVE today) I spent most of it reading up on the paperwork, which while it wasn't better than what I'd done at my old job, at least I was actually getting TRAINED...everything was also spelled out clearly for me in my job (that is, I was required to give this much notice for calling out sick etc.)

One of the things that made me go though was the food. They apparently had no issue with an 11-year-old cooking (fully supervised of course!) chicken penne pasta (the coordinator cut up the chicken for him and we supervised the actual cooking, but he did the rest himself). They provide more for afternoon tea than the kiddies at my previous services ever got. (we provide fruit and an actual afternoon "food").

They also had "applecarts." For the unfamiliar, this is basically a small platform on wheels. The kids had fun with those racing each other. I set up a course for them. It's actually quite nice being able to have some degree of flexibility and not feeling so constrained. The coordinator is awesome

Oh and the kids were SO MUCH MORE POLITE. Seriously, even though the 11-year-old mentioned above was struggling with boredom at one point, he didn't take it out on the kids. He told me he was going to the high school located near the school I'll be working at come start of term (we're on holidays right now).

Oh and one other happy benefit: I DON'T HAVE TO MAKE UP STAFF RECORDS. Everything I did today was scanned/sent over to the coordinator at the school I'll be working at come Term 3, so I can start playing with the kids from Day 1.
    She also printed out a new roster for me

I think I'm going to like working for this company
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    They apparently had no issue with an 11-year-old cooking (fully supervised of course!) chicken penne pasta (the coordinator cut up the chicken for him and we supervised the actual cooking, but he did the rest himself).
    This is great! Children can do a lot, if only the adults would let them! Looks like you can give them the room for growth in your new job.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Wowser - an eight smiley-face post. I guess you DO like the job! 'grats.

Comment

Sounds fantastic, I'm so happy for you!
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          They apparently had no issue with an 11-year-old cooking (fully supervised of course!) chicken penne pasta (the coordinator cut up the chicken for him and we supervised the actual cooking, but he did the rest himself).
          That, and all the rest of it is awesome! My nephew, who is eight I believe, baked a cake on his own a couple of months back. Some weird homework assignment he got, I basically just watched and double checked his measurements as he made them; he followed the recipe and made it on his own.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

11 and in high school? No wonder he was bored, he sounds like a precocious kid.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
              11 and in high school? No wonder he was bored, he sounds like a precocious kid.
              Oops, I should've made it clearer. He's currently attending one of the schools that this service looks after, but next year he'll be going to the high school near my soon-to-be workplace.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
              X