Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's going to be fireworks of SOME sort...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's going to be fireworks of SOME sort...

So I recently was pulled off GSR duty to become Wedding Coordinator's temporary assistant, and we have our first big wedding this weekend (we've had smaller ones where we hosted either the ceremony or reception...this one is bigger and we're hosting the entire event), and it's going to get...interesting.

The Bride chose July 4th to get married. She wants a beach wedding. She booked our beachside terrace for the ceremony, which is a popular space.

Immediately adjacent to the terrace, the lawn was booked for our July 4th celebrations, including live music, face painting, a bouncy castle, etc. It's a public event open to both hotel guests and community members.

Apparently, neither Wedding Coordinator nor the people planning the July 4th party knew about the other event until this week.

Meaning The Bride will be walking down the aisle while children scream and jump around a bouncy castle and a band plays rock covers right nearby.

Wedding Coordinator is throwing a fit. Me, I figure hey, if it would my wedding I would totally claim that and tell people I ordered a bouncy house for my wedding! (In fact, now I kind of regret not thinking of that earlier...)

I'm not sure The Bride will buy it, though. Apparently she dropped by last Friday to look around at things some more. We have BBQs every Friday night that are normally outdoors but it rained last time so they set up inside our big tent, which is the same one The Bride is using for her reception. She saw it and flipped out thinking that that is where we normally have the BBQs and was afraid she was going to have to share her reception with the BBQ party. Like yeah, we're totally going to invite the public into your reception space.

No, that's just going to be for the ceremony...

Anyway, we've established the Bride is a bit high-strung. We can stop the party music for the ceremony, but we'll need to try and come up with a creative diversion to draw the public (read:screaming kids) away from the beach for about an hour during the festivities. I'm not sure this bride will be okay with a large extra audience or not.

Yeah. Whoops.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Scavenger hunt? Followed by hot dog/marshmallow roast?

I can't think of anything else that would keep a large group of screaming kids diverted for an hour.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post

I can't think of anything else that would keep a large group of screaming kids diverted for an hour.
      Capture the flag. Then steal both team's flag. Worked wonders when I pulled that on my troop at camp one year. Best practical joke ever.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
        Scavenger hunt? Followed by hot dog/marshmallow roast?

How about a hefty dose of Nyquil?

I hope Bridezilla doesn't have a meltdown when she learns of all this!

Comment

Communication is great. Your resort staff should try it sometime.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Turns out I was mistaken, it is only the rehearsal on the 4th and the ceremony is on the 5th, so we dodged a bullet. Maybe. Considering how The Bride freaked out when she caught us using the reception space for a different function two weeks before her wedding, I can only imagine how horrified she'll react when she sees a bouncy castle in "her" wedding space the day before.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I was kind of hoping for at least an amusing story, if not video, of Bridezilla's head exploding when forced to realize that other people exist and have their own activities and celebrations that do not revolve around Her Bridal Majesty.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The odds of me ever being married are about the same as me ever adopting a pet unicorn, but, if I ever DO get married....

I'm going to do it in a bouncy castle
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

FTR, here is the inflatable bouncy...ship, actually!

And to the left, you can see the arbor and white chairs where they were set up for the rehearsal

(Clicky to enlarge)

I feel bad for banquet manager. We'd arranged for the wedding party to have complimentary admission to the BBQ tonight. The way it normally works is you get a wristband from the cashier station which gives you access to the buffet. The bride thought they were tacky, though, and insisted they get access without the wristbands. So it sounds like they're going to have to sign-in the wedding guests every time they go to the buffet.

Also, the BBQ was moved into the tent again tonight due to rain. I unfortunately am not there to see the bride's reaction.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                    We'd arranged for the wedding party to have complimentary admission to the BBQ tonight. The way it normally works is you get a wristband from the cashier station which gives you access to the buffet. The bride thought they were tacky, though, and insisted they get access without the wristbands. So it sounds like they're going to have to sign-in the wedding guests every time they go to the buffet.
                    I'd say that you guys did your part when you arranged for the wedding guests to get complimentary wristbands for BBQ admission. They think the wristbands are tacky and don't want to wear them? Fine - but unless they wear them, they can't get into the BBQ.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      I'd say that you guys did your part when you arranged for the wedding guests to get complimentary wristbands for BBQ admission. They think the wristbands are tacky and don't want to wear them? Fine - but unless they wear them, they can't get into the BBQ.
                      Oh, that's what we'd love to do. They're spending, like, a LOT of money with us, though (think in terms of five nicely solid figures...we are not a cheap venue), so they got in.

Comment

Oh I love the idea of a paint the face/bouncy castle/BBQ summer wedding! But then again my first wedding was 15 minutes in the middle of the all-division housewarming for our apartment, and the 'uniform of the day' was tahiti camo.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

That looks like my closet. https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...38649880_n.jpg
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X