This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish. Your. Food.

In some East Asian cultures, it's considered bad luck and manners to not eat every bit of rice from your bowl. So after working in a restaurant and motel the amount of food waste I've seen is frankly shocking.

I kind of see this peak during busy times like about two weeks ago during the holiday season. When I work mornings, I sometimes take out the dirty sheets and bins from the used rooms. You can see where I'm going with this.

Half eaten Chinese, pizza boxes with literally half the pizza still in there....
    Ich.
    Don't get me started on the opened alcohol.

I've only ever had one room infested with ants because of a half finished pizza so I should count my blessings.

Sometimes guests who stay for longer periods get groceries like bread and milk and leave them in the room when they leave. I've found full milk containers, energy drinks, alcohol and one time a tub of melted ice cream in a takeaway container.

Like seriously people, how much money do you have to burn if you order $30 worth of food and don't even eat half of it? When you eat, you either finish what you order or order only what you can eat. Admittedly however, I do sometimes buy fruit and vegetables that ends up spoiling in my fridge because I can't find a way to use it. But I don't cook something I made myself just to toss half of it out.

As a side note, pizza boxes aren't recyclable IF THEY STILL HAVE PIZZA IN THEM.

I agree with you, food waste is a huge problem. Especially when so many people are hungry. Restaurants and grocery stores feed into it too. They would rather throw food away than give it away.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The hotel I work at sees a LOT of half-eaten takeaway. The housekeepers are happy when the guests put the leftovers into the garbage instead of leaving it tucked away somewhere in the room for them to find. Half-full cans and bottles get dumped and put into a recycling bag and the housekeepers take turns cashing them in. Unopened bottles and cans left behind are treated as tips by the housekeepers, or they give them away if they don't like/drink whatever the can or bottle is.

I sometimes miss hotel housekeeping, but when the housekeepers call me to inspect a room where the guests somehow got pizza sauce on the ceiling it makes me glad that I'm guest services these days. I do sometimes strip the rooms out for the housekeepers to give them a hand, but thankfully I haven't had any 'surprises' since I started doing that.

Comment

I blame a lot of that on portion sizes. Most people really cannot eat a full serving of anything anymore. I can't remember the last time I cleaned my plate in a restaurant. When I'm at home, I always eat the leftovers in a day or so, but if I'm traveling there often isn't a practicable way to do that.

I can't imagine stashing food all over the room I'm going to be sleeping in, that would just be ick.

I am guilty of putting leftover food in the fridge because I don't want to smell it in the trash all night and then sometimes forgetting to put it in the trash in the morning. I like to think that my habit of always tipping the maid buys me a little forgiveness for that.

Comment

I'm a big eater, so portion sizes are not a problem for me, but just for the sake of my own decency, I make a point of keeping things clean and tidy. When I'm in a hotel, I don't even like having the finished containers with me because of the remnants left in them and the critters that may attract. I try to find an outside bin that I can properly dispose of such things.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            I agree with you, food waste is a huge problem. Especially when so many people are hungry. Restaurants and grocery stores feed into it too. They would rather throw food away than give it away.
            My store is really bad for that, although perhaps this attitude is not prevalent with a lot of the public. Dented can? Unless it's absolutely punctured (or obviously puffy -- BOTULISM ALERT!! -- I would take it.) Ditto for opened cardboard carton (as long as the interior container isn't punctured or ripped open). Hell, the other day we had a cellophane-wrapped package of pasta that had a rip in it. Customer didn't want it. I'd take it.

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            I blame a lot of that on portion sizes. Most people really cannot eat a full serving of anything anymore. I can't remember the last time I cleaned my plate in a restaurant. *snip*
            That's a real problem for me as well. I tend to spend most of my eating-out time at restaurants that I know have moderate to small portions. If I go to any other kind (and that's rare) it's with the understanding that I will have leftovers that should be eaten fairly quickly.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I know a restaurant where the portion sizes are so big, you can get three meals out of one entree.

So I always take the leftovers home for lunch and/or dinner the next day. I hate wasting food.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Partner and I have taken to often splitting an entree' at a restaurant. I'm aware that some places charge for an extra plate but so far, no place we've gone has.

The challenge many times with restaurants and grocery stores isn't the 'giving away' but where will perishable food be stored until it's distributed?

Comment

I'm in the portion size camp. I do take food home from a restaurant but not if staying in a hotel. But guests should at least be tossing it and not leaving it for cleaning staff to find.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X