This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth eltf177 View Post
    Anybody care to bet that Betty will be breaking records trying to contact the bank now?
    Not me. I'm betting she ignores the whole thing, hoping it will go away.

Foreclosure proceedings can take awhile. I'll bet she'll hunker down and live for free in the house, and continue to run the business until, as someone else pointed out, the Sheriff comes to change the locks and put their property on the street.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

• Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
      Not me. I'm betting she ignores the whole thing, hoping it will go away.

Foreclosure proceedings can take awhile. I'll bet she'll hunker down and live for free in the house, and continue to run the business until, as someone else pointed out, the Sheriff comes to change the locks and put their property on the street.
      This exactly. Then when everything collapses she'll start whining about how this "isn't fair" and "why is this happening to me?"

Comment

This exactly. Then when everything collapses she'll start whining about how this "isn't fair" and "why is this happening to me?"
        Add in a few "I wasn't given any notice!" and "the bank is forcing me out!" and the circle of self-centeredness is complete!
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• I feel sorry for the employees - I wonder what she has been telling them to keep them working for her?
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

• Quoth Marmalady View Post
            I feel sorry for the employees - I wonder what she has been telling them to keep them working for her?
            Are they even still being paid?

Comment

• IIRC, she was effectively cashing their paychecks out of the till. As to whether she was making the tax payments from the withheld amounts is another story--past posts suggest not.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I feel sorry for the employees - I wonder what she has been telling them to keep them working for her?
                Probably "Oh, I'm going to lose my house and this is all I have and I need you to stay so the business can make money and I can pay my bills boo hoo!"
                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

• Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                  Probably "Oh, I'm going to lose my house and this is all I have and I need you to stay so the business can make money and I can pay my bills boo hoo!"
                  *nods* More than likely. And the business about the tax payments is frightening to contemplate.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

*nods* More than likely. And the business about the tax payments is frightening to contemplate.
                    Oh yes, the IRS will take no prisoners - either Betty or her employees...

Comment

Oh yes, the IRS will take no prisoners - either Betty or her employees...
                      Maybe so, but they'll likely go easier on the ex-employees than Betty.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• They might try to take everything out of Betty, including employee tax stuff
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• Regarding Betty's employees getting paid, one of her employees brings his paychecks to the bank to cash, and sometimes has to wait days or even more than a week before Betty has enough money in her account to cover it.

I doubt she's sending the withholding to the IRS. I'm pretty sure that's what some of the judgments listed on her credit report were for.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                            Regarding Betty's employees getting paid, one of her employees brings his paychecks to the bank to cash, and sometimes has to wait days or even more than a week before Betty has enough money in her account to cover it.

I doubt she's sending the withholding to the IRS. I'm pretty sure that's what some of the judgments listed on her credit report were for.
                            It makes you wonder how (or if) the other employees are getting their money.

The IRS is not going to be happy with Betty...

Comment

• Betty dropped off her 2011 tax return this morning, so I called her at the restaurant to get an update. Here's what she said.
                              • Her accountant will work on her 2012 taxes after the 15th (for those outside the US, that's the last day for income taxes to be filed, unless that person has filed an extension).
                              • Her insurance agent was on vacation, but she promised she'd follow up with them "soon."
                              • She only got $4900 in the lawsuit. I can see where the check was deposited to her checking account the middle of March, but the money has already been spend on her regular expenses. She didn't pay any of her past due real estate taxes with the money. She knows she needs to start making payments on the real estate taxes, but she didn't have a plan for how to pay them.
                              • Betty claimed that she's owed some inheritance from a relative who died in 2013, but she has no idea when she'll get it.

The 2011 income taxes showed a loss of almost $20,000 for that year. I have no reason to think it's any better now.

We have a pre-foreclosure letter out on the house that will expire the middle of April. If Betty hasn't provided us with proof of insurance by then, we will begin foreclosure. Around the same time, if she hasn't started paying the real estate taxes on the restaurant, we'll send a pre-foreclosure letter on that loan.

Betty has spent any goodwill we might have had.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• So her insurance agent is on vacation, and she needs insurance by the middle of the month. Unless she can magically get all of the necessary papers filled out and turned in the second he gets back, it looks like she's screwed.

She's screwed.
                                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Working...
                                X