Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom drove across Canada once in the 80's with her Girl Friend (and me in a baby seat). They even got a picture of Terry Fox somewhere in Ontario too.

More recently, they've done New Brunswick to Alberta 2 or 3 times with a 5th wheel trailer. Takes them about a week or so of relaxed driving one way.

In 2000ish, we rented a van and drove from New Brunswick to Monterey California. Once again, it took us about a week to do. I also drove back to Ottawa from Monterey in about the same time.

That all said, most of North America, especially the American parts, is inhabitable, if not actually inhabited, with decent to great road networks, so cross country(ies) car rentals aren't that big a deal.

Comment

Don't most USA car rental places tell you you can even turn it in at another branch, too, even if said branch is 1000 miles away?
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Ted_The_IT_Guy View Post
        My record for solo driving in one day, gas/food stops included, is Oregon-Idaho border to Denver, through Salt Lake City & Grand Junction. 937 miles, started at 6:30am and finished about 11:30pm.
        I've done similar; remarkably similar, in fact, but in the opposite direction. I went from Parma, which is Idaho but almost Oregon, all the way to the Canuck border, then back when they wouldn't let me in (yasserfrassinvisaduration)... The old Taurus I was in counted it as a smidge under 1k, but with the border hassles discussions I took a little longer than you.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've done a lot of driving. The longest single shot was Seattle-San Diego-Fort Worth-Houston-Atlanta-Miami.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Driving stories? Oh, what i could tell, like the 1400 mile move from PHX to STL done in two days, or perhaps PHX to Houston (well, SE suburb) and back with a mere 2 hour layover there, then went to work that night. I could run on and on, but i've done a lot of driving over the years, and sightseeing has never been in my plans.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Our longest drives have been from our Chicago 'burb to Tampa and Galveston--twice, once was via Decatur, IL to pick up my mother who was traveling with us. That trip was a drive-through with rotating drivers.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Lord, San Francisco California to Virginia and Pennsylvania in summer. Four people, a station wagon with A/C that didn't work well and an 8-track tape player with 2 tapes: one homemade with The Four Aces and Tony Orlando & Dawn. To this day I hear Tony Orlando and I get motion sick even sitting in a chair...

Comment

The record time from New York City to Los Angeles, 2,863 miles (4,608 km), of 31 hours 4 minutes was set by Alex Roy & David Maher in 2007.

Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Hubs and I used to make the 20 hour drive from OKC to DC area to visit his folks. Made the drive once with the kiddos, too.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Longest drive I was ever part of was Niagara Falls back to Wisconsin headed home from vacation one year.

Probably was 20 hours or so.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Longest drive I've ever done was doing a round trip between adelaide, Horsham, ballarat, Apollo bay, Portland and Kingston. (FYI, driving straight back to adelaide from Portland is at least a day or two unless you leave super early. The first time we visited Portland, we stopped at Kingston on the way home for a night.)
                        Longest drive my SISTER has done is a 4WD trip through to the blue mountains in nsw.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The longest drive I was ever on was when I was a teenager and my grandparents took me and my brother to Disney World. We drove there all the way from Lancaster, PA. I'm not sure how many hours we were actually on the road, but we broke the trip up into two days. We got up bright and early, and drove as far as South Carolina. Then we found a place to stay for the night and finished the rest of the trip the next day.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            The record time from New York City to Los Angeles, 2,863 miles (4,608 km), of 31 hours 4 minutes was set by Alex Roy & David Maher in 2007.

Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash
                            I calculated their average speed. Over 92mph. Why drive that dangerously for that long?
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                              I calculated their average speed. Over 92mph. Why drive that dangerously for that long?
                              Dangerous and pointless. It's a big, beautiful country with lots to see. Why speed through it and miss most of it?
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                                Dangerous and pointless. It's a big, beautiful country with lots to see. Why speed through it and miss most of it?
                                As mentioned in the link, partly as a protest against the 55 mph speed limits established in the early 70s. And then there was the glory in doing it. See the movies Gumball Rally, and Cannon Ball Run and Cannon Ball Run II for very entertaining presentations of the race.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X