This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't help you if your computer isn't turned on

So sometime before I started working the owner decided it would be a great idea if we offered remote support to people who didn't want to or had trouble coming in such as for older and disabled people. No one liked this idea but he doesn't have to do it so tough.

I've found that anyone who calls us for this service has a harder time than the average customer in following directions. These are the same people who when I ask what browser they use they give me the name of their ISP.

Today I'm on the remote desk duty aka I'm getting drunk when I get home. Among the various winners who don't listen is the special guy who had his computer turned off when I tried to give him instructions to start the remote session. After I confirmed with him that he was in front of him and it was on. I have enough problems with my psychic powers without you turning off the damn computer.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Gah. I've had a few clients like that. Yes, 'remote support' means I don't have to be in front of your computer, but it needs to have an active internet connection.

No, not remote like 'remote viewing' (believe me, if I could control computers psychically, tech support is far down on the list of things I'd be doing). It still needs to be on, and you need to keep your paws OFF the mouse/keyboard.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've had ones that called in with an issue at home... While at work. They got irate when I told them to call when they got home.

Comment

I've had them a couple of times while driving in their car! One lady told me she'd remember my instructions, but turned out she called in later on.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
          I've had them a couple of times while driving in their car! One lady told me she'd remember my instructions, but turned out she called in later on.
          People like this are the reason why when you call your ISP's tech support number, they now have a recorded message telling you that if you are not at your computer to call back when you are and it is turned on.

I would have given the nice rep the address of this site that I spoke with last Saturday (Internet kicked off and modem wouldn't finish rebooting) but their calls are recorded for quality assurance and training purposes (also in the prerecorded message at the beginning of the call.)

I'm sure their field techs would also have some stories to tell . . .

As a side note, my IPS's tech support line will ask you if you have pets in your home if they find the issue is something they need to send a field tech out for. I wouldn't doubt if they've had incidents where a tech has been bit or chased off by a family pet that doesn't like strangers.
          Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 03-22-2015, 01:01 PM.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            People like this are the reason why when you call your ISP's tech support number, they now have a recorded message telling you that if you are not at your computer to call back when you are and it is turned on.
            Customers listen to the pre-recorded message?
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Ours don't, except to whine that they can't understand what the woman is saying
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My job involves being IT on the side (small company). We had a power fail over the weekend, and the office manager (less than a month on the job) wasn't completely awake and thought her monitor was acting up - the machine had never been turned off in the month or so she'd been here.

Too funny.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  I did and I'm a customer of Death Star DSL.

There again, I could be an exception to the rule. Me and my damn common sense again.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We have a site like that - they turn off all their computers every night in fear of being hacked so sadly, none of the "end of day" processes happen and they get texts etc from their corp - then yell at us because we can't get into the system.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Got another one yesterday.
                      Sir good job on being next to the computer but next time you might want to have the lights on.

On a different note if I ask you on the phone whether the computer is a mac or pc don't say pc if you bring in a mac book. Seems to be a rash of people who can't tell.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        We have a site like that - they turn off all their computers every night in fear of being hacked so sadly, none of the "end of day" processes happen and they get texts etc from their corp - then yell at us because we can't get into the system.
                        I loved the lady, (just loved her!) who accused me of hacking in to her computer from Florida (she was in New York), all because of her getting pissed off for shutting down her account for non payment. Yeah, I'm so malicious as I first want you to pay your bill, but since I didn't get even enough with you, I'm going to wreck your computer.

Comment

Working...
                        X