Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diplomatically telling "marketing" their ideas are dumb?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomatically telling "marketing" their ideas are dumb?

Ok, here's the situation. The company I currently work for has a marketing department. Part of one of our projects is an "outward facing" website.

The problem is, the marketing department comes up with verbiage for this website. I don't know if they get it approved or what, but some of it, in my opinion, needs to change.

For instance, they use "textspeak" on the site. Things like BFF, TTYL and such. They also use phrases like "pretty please" and "wee bit" (as in "a wee bit more information").

I think using stuff like this is very unprofessional to use. And if I were to use a website like this, and saw things like that on there, I wouldn't proceed any further.

They could be using that because of market research for all I know. I just think it's unprofessional.

I'm trying to think of a kind, diplomatic way to tell them I think that verbiage should be removed.

Any ideas?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I'm not really sure there is a way. The problem is, most companies are basically ran by their Marketing departments. Whatever ideas that they come up with, no matter how stupid they are, it's up to the rest of the workers to break out the turd polish and deal with it.
    Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

They probably think it's an "interestingly quirky personality" for the business to present itself as. Are they all disgustingly enthusiastic early-risers by any chance?

Either way, txtspk is a definite no-no. Not being a particularly diplomatic person, I'd be tempted to tell them flatly that it makes them look like a bunch of teenagers, and start marking their work in red ink accordingly.

These people are focused on a slightly different problem - writing that is *too* formal - but they might have some ideas that you can use.

Comment

I get where you're coming from, but sadly it either appears that no one above them in their management structure actually saw this, or it was approved this way.

Either way, I think because of what the site is, they're trying (and in my view failing) to make it fun.

I don't want to go into any details ,beyond that, but the business isn't really the kind to present itself as "interestingly quirky".

Comment

I have a suggestion, if it is possible:

Suggest/convince somebody within Marketing to perform a survey amongst your customer/target group where the customers can rate the site and give proper critique and/or ideas for improvement.

My guess is that a proper feedback from the folks you are trying to reach would get management's attention pretty quickly.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I had an event arranger emailing everyone with something akin to "buy tickets to my event or I'll have to cry...." and he got shitty when I pointed out that begging people like that doesn't do him or his business any good.

I would use a company that is like that on their website....
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
              Suggest/convince somebody within Marketing to perform a survey amongst your customer/target group where the customers can rate the site and give proper critique and/or ideas for improvement.
              Well, see, since I'm a developer, I actually did mention it not only in front of the project manager (who also "works with" marketing), but also the Business Analyst. The BA essentially told me, "Well, go take it up with Marketing."

I think it would probably be more appropriate it one of them actually went to marketing, but the BA doesn't seem to want to. I guess the thinking there is "that's what they want".

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                Well, see, since I'm a developer, I actually did mention it not only in front of the project manager (who also "works with" marketing), but also the Business Analyst. The BA essentially told me, "Well, go take it up with Marketing."

I think it would probably be more appropriate it one of them actually went to marketing, but the BA doesn't seem to want to. I guess the thinking there is "that's what they want".
                More than likely correct.

You could point it out to Marketing . . . who would probably quote some market study that backs up their ridiculous idea.

Some ideas just have to be allowed to fail spectacularly. You know, like New Coke. Bring it to Marketing yourself . . . once. In email, professionally.

Then give them exactly what they want, which will be exactly what you're doing now.

Not your circus, not your monkeys.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I gave up on this years ago. But my company has the opposite problem. It uses so much meaninglessly corporate speak and buzzwords it gives me a headache. Coupled with copious layers of meaningless feel good drivel of the sort executives come back with after attending team building get aways together and confidence seminars where men with ponytails talk about "Synergy" and "Mindshare". To the point where it sounds downright condescending when spoken to us normal human beings.

Our employee "values and vision" are impossible to get through without an involuntary gag reflex. >.>

Comment

The only time text speak is acceptable is while texting or talking to someone online. When adults try to use it in advertising, it comes off as trying too hard to be cool and being on the same level as the younger generation.
                    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                    X