This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wherin I am smarter than the professor

So, my Principles of Corporate Finance professor tried to tell us that it is not possible to find the interest rate (R) using the future value formula where
    FV=PV(1+R)^t (where T= time)
    Yeah, I'm sure that you math geeks out there already see the problem with his statement.
    The answer is ((FV/PV)^1/T)-1=R
    Solved it in less than two minutes... it took him three to explain how to use the buttons on a financial calculator (which I also know how to use).
    Yeah, I pointed out that I had the answer while he was explaining the financial calculator functions without using financial calculator functions... I don't think he likes me
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I had a mechanical engineering professor back in college that botched an equation for one of the laws of thermodynamics (and it wasn't a complex one, either) when he wrote it on the chalkboard. He absolutely refused to believe that he was wrong no matter how many times we told him. It finally took the head of the department questioning him in front of the class before he actually looked at what he wrote....
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

You had to watch my biology teacher. He was good at screwing up molecular diagrams for carbs. And when we got to cell metabolism...I'm not sure he ever was able to draw out Kreb's cycle without making at least one mistake somewhere in there.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I always have to watch what I write on the whiteboard. I have a learning disability similar to dyslexia so I often scramble the spelling of words. I use all the right letters, I just write them in the wrong order. For example, I might write "dwon" when I mean to write "down." This confuses students when I'm writing medical terms.

The other problem I have is I cannot do ratio and proportion to solve math problems. The same learning disability causes me to scramble the set up of the problem (I have the same issue with algebra, btw). I have to use formulas, which often means more steps. But at least I always get the right answer!

Problem is, some of my students are so used to ratio and proportion they can't follow me when I used a formula, even common nursing formulas like volume x Drop factor / time in minutes to determine a drip rate for an IV.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I got marked wrong on a midterm question that asked for the resolution on a 12" 640x480 monitor. When I questioned the marking, the professor realized that I had it right - and it was a point he had stressed repeatedly in class (that the maximum possible resolution is half the addressability). In the "here's how you should have done it" class session after the midterms were returned, his calculations yielded the addressability instead of the resolution.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My anatomy professor made a lot of mistakes on exams as well. The way the exams were done is he would set up the lab before class. He'd tag a bunch of models, and have questions pertaining to the tags, some of which were made up on the fly. During the exam, as we went around to the different models, he'd be going around as well making up his answer key. It meant that a test was never reused, but it also sometimes meant he got answers to his own exam wrong.

For example, after the muscle exam, my classmates and I realized we all answered one question with pubococcygeus, and he put illiococcygeus, so we double-checked the model, and sure enough, we were right and he was wrong. He insisted he was right, until we showed him both muscles on the model and he realized his mistake. (And that was a bit of an awkward model to be pointing at and arguing over. ) If you pointed out a mistake to him, though, you got extra credit, so that was pretty cool.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
            X