This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess the new way for companys to screw applicants

So on Thursday I thought I had a full time job lined up and was to start on Friday. I posted about it on here and I was so thankful to have a full time job again. I got to the new job 10 minutes early dressed correctly and all that good stuff. Had a couple of first day mistakes. But by 10am I was making dry cleaning tickets and sorting every thing correctly. Was taking money and doing the drive thru window for pick ups. I thought it was going pretty good thought I picked up all the new stuff pretty fast for never working at a dry cleaners. At around 2 it was dead as could be so the owner turns to me and says alright why don't you head home for the day. I said alright should I come in tomorrow morning or when is my next day? The manager turns to me and says Oh we are bringing in another applicant and giving him a 1 day trial as well. At no point had this been mentioned to me that Friday was a trial day. So now I am wondering if me leaving an hour early was some kind of weird test. I am wondering if I worked fast enough. So tomorrow I am supposed to find out if I truly got hired. Also found out that this company truly believes in the statement the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. May have problems with that.. Needless to say I am starting my job search all over again. I don't know if I can handle working for a company like this

So is that just a reflection on how flooded the job market is. That company's can bring people in for 1 day trials to see who they like and fit in better?

Quoth hotelslave View Post
    So is that just a reflection on how flooded the job market is. That company's can bring people in for 1 day trials to see who they like and fit in better?
    They can get away with it...simply because the job market sucks right now. Companies know that many applicants will gladly work for next to nothing, and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. If they don't like it...there's the door.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You may want to check whether having "unpaid trials" is even legal. Down here its not: if you're on ANY probationary period, you get paid. You might be paid a reduced amount (usually a dollar less) but you still need to be paid.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

As far as I know, they have to pay you for work, even if they only employ you for one day. You are not a musician, this is not an audition. They brought you in and had you work. They have to pay you.

That being said, I am not sure I would want to work for such a company either.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree you need to find out if they can get away with not paying you. Check your state's Dept of Labor website. Especially since they never mentioned a one-day trial. Sounds fishy to me.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was so shocked/mad when they told me on Friday I didn't ask about being paid. I am going to wait and see. But as far as I know they have to pay me for the 6 1/2 hours I worked. I damn sure didn't agree to bust my ass for free. The most irritating thing about this is I thought that the annoying job search that seemed to be going nowhere was finally over. If they still offer me the job I know I will have to accept due to how the job market is but I really don't want to

Comment

I've been through this, but they paid me.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
              X