This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Augustine, FL - ?

Friends of ours are going to be spending the month of March in St. Augustine and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for cool things to do there. They are in their 60's, in good health and have more energy than I do! I see there's a huge state park there, which they'll probably want to check out. Just wondered if anyone on CS is familiar with other interesting stuff to do there.

I'll be seeing them tomorrow - sorry for the short notice, I only just found out they're going to do this - but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

There is a tour that is cool. You can get on and off. There is the fort. And a Ripley's Museum I think.

We were only there a day a few years ago so that is all I remember
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

If you have any interest in pirates, history, or the history of pirates, or just like interesting stuff, check out the St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum. Among other cool things, they have one of only two authenticated pirate flags (i.e., flags that actually flew from pirate ships) left in the world, the other one being in Finland.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Park the car and walk. So many neat things to see. It is even better for me and The WIfe. We are both into architecture and historic buildings. You can't get away from it.

It is a great location as so many thing are within a couple hour drive - Orlando, Cape Canaveral, St. Marys, GA.
        Down side - It is Spring Break.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I went there on my honeymoon!

To eat, there is a little Cuban place off of Mantanzas bay. Habana village cafe on king street. link

Also the best burgers are at the cafe connected to the old drug store.

and there is a cafe with the best wraps. Link.

The Ripley's and old town trolly tours are awesome. They are very comparable. Their tickets last 3 days and it gets you around the tourist area with history and convenient on off stops.

I stayed at the bayfront westcott inn. Very nice.

Of course go see Ripley's and go on a ghost tour. There is the lighthouse to see as well.
          My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

These are great suggestions! They might do a ghost walk, and they'd probably be interested in the archtectural stuff. I'll definitely tell them about the pirate museum, too!

A little concerned about spring break - I thought that happened more around Miami, Orlando and Key West?

Comment

As far as I know, St. Augustine is not really a Spring Break hot spot, unlike Miami, Key West, Orlando, the Panhandle, etc., but if there are beaches and bars, you can bet that some college kids will make it into a Spring Break vacation. But overall, I am sure that you'll be fine, and safe from Spring Break insanity.....

Still A Customer."

Comment

Let me clarify. Not a Spring Break hot spot, but if the want to go elsewhere, they may have to deal with the traffic, etc.

I was going to suggest that if they wanted to do Cape Canaveral, they could drive A1A along the coast. I did that once. Very pretty. March would not be a good time to do that. Not through Daytona.
                Save the Ales!

Comment

I live here I highly suggest eating at Osteen's at least once. See Here But be warned there is always a wait to get in. It is that good and popular.

If they like nature I highly recommend Washington Oaks Gardens State Park

Sockpuppet

Comment

Funny....I heard that Daytona was more about the bikers for Bike Week than it was for Spring Breakers during Spring Break any more. But of course, as always, I reserve the right to be completely and humiliatingly wrong.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Myself and the wife stopped there both times we went to Cocoa. Always a fascinating stop. Hotels there are fairly cheap for it being a beach town and never very crowded. We walked along the cobblestone small-shop section of town both times. No recommendations for any specific place, just a very favorable impression all three times we've been to it.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Funny....I heard that Daytona was more about the bikers for Bike Week than it was for Spring Breakers during Spring Break any more. But of course, as always, I reserve the right to be completely and humiliatingly wrong.
                        30 years ago, when I was in college, it was THE hot spot, thanks to MTv. See here.

I don't remember when it was, but Dayton decided they did not want the partier. A few rule changes, cracking down on under age drinking and they were no longer as popular.

A quick Google search show several web site for Daytona Beach Spring Break 2012.

Either way, I95 will be busy southbound on Fridays and Saturdays and Northbound on Sundays.
                        Save the Ales!

Comment

Well, we saw them yesterday and now they're talking "Oh, maybe March, maybe April..." So I'm wondering it they will even go. I think they want to, but perhaps not for as long as a month. Maybe a week or two.

But hey, they're both retired, so they can go whenever they want!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                            Either way, I95 will be busy southbound on Fridays and Saturdays and Northbound on Sundays.
                            Not necessarily. Not if there are Spring Breakers. Remember, these people often come for the whole WEEK, so standard weekend traffic rules don't always apply.

Just saying.

And on that note, time for more beer!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Remember, these people often come for the whole WEEK, so standard weekend traffic rules don't always apply.
                              Right. They drive down on Friday night/Saturday and head home on Sunday a week later. This goes on for about a six week period through March and April.

A couple of years ago, my sister insisted I spend time with the Godkids at Rat World, during spring break. After we left Orlando, we went to visit a friend in Jacksonville for a couple of days (detox). We drove home Sunday. What was usually a 7 hour trip took 9 hours. For most of the way, we were surrounded by motorhomes, travel trailers, cars packed with families and cars packed with college kids.

It is not just the college kids.
                              Save the Ales!

Comment

Working...
                              X