X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Kurfluffle

Just because kurfluffle is a fun word.

So I was talking a little bit about this in chat, but now I have a bit more info and stuff.

So my mom and grandmother have been in business/owned a store for like 30 years. Recently my grandmother is becoming senile. I really only have any contact with them during Really Big Craft Show in the fall, and this year mom decided to drop a bomb on me.

Basically that they've let thier sales tax ID # lapse over the past few years. Which means that they are *collecting* sales tax at these shows and then pocketing it.

Danger Will Robinson!

So after hearing this, I decided it wasn't a matter of if they get caught it's a matter of when, and I wanted to cover my rear and keep all my legal ducks in a row.

I filed paperwork with the state to get my own Sales Tax ID #. I filled out the paperwork in November and mailed it off. And waited. A month went by and I left to go visit in-laws. I came home and picked up all my mail. Nothing from the Tax office. Hmm.

Logged into the bank website and checked on my check. They had desposited it in early December and hadn't sent me any info about my paperwork!

With this info I sent them a nice email letting them know that I had send paperwork in on such and such date, and noticed that they cashed check # such and such on this date and please would they let me know what my Tax ID # was.

Fast forward to last week when I got a tax permit in the mail. It was dated to start on January 25th. Meaning they hadn't even gone through my paperwork at all until I raised heck about it.

But wait there's more!

Just got a letter in the mail today saying that I was late filing my monthly tax report. Wait what. Turns out because my paperwork said that my first day of business was December 1st, that I owed Tax for that month. And I can't pay taxes for my business without having an ID #. So I had to go log into thier online system and pay taxes for December, plus a penalty for filing late, even though they didn't inform me what my ID# was until last week.

Another funny that I noticed on my paperwork. When you first start up a business, you're on probation for 6 months. One of the stipulations for staying on after that 6 months is making sure that you have in-state sales. I'm really lucky that I said for mine to start in December. Normally I don't have *any* in-state sales until October, since most of my spring and summer sales are through Etsy.

I guess it's a good thing I'm picking up some spring shows this year. Oy vey.

Anyone else have "wading through red tape" stories?
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Man, what a pain. I would call them about the penalty for filing late for December, since you didn't have your tax# before then. See if they can waive it or something.

It seems simpler in Texas...you file for a sales tax#...get your permit...and never have to re-file or renew your number, or have a certain number of sales to keep your number. You just have to be sure to file your taxes, even if you don't have any sales. You just file $0.00 for your taxable sales.

Comment

Yeah we can file a zero report if we have no sales. Just that in the 6 month probation period if you have no sales then they assume you're never going to do sales in the state and revoke your #.

And yeah my penalty for filing late...9 whole cents.

Another stupid...if you file early, you get a discount. Back when I had the toy store I used to file on the 1st. The "retail gods" (mom and gma) used to pay yearly I can't imagine paying that much extra in late fees and penalties.

Apparently thier recipe for success is: Don't pay rent - unless they're going to kick you out. Pay taxes only when the state's breathing down your neck. And for the love of god, never take inventory.

EDIT: Oh great not again.
      I have to file through thier website. I had no in-state sales for January, so I'm trying to file a zero report. Their system won't let me, I have to pay at least 0.01 (and then an extra $4.00 for using the website)
      *facepalm*
      Last edited by Kanalah; 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM.
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

In Texas, depending on how many (or few) sales you have, you can either file monthy, quarterly, or yearly. Monthly if you have lots of sales, yearly if you have few sales. Since I just vent at anime cons every couple months, I fall in the "yearly" bracket, which is nice since I only have to pay once a year, but a pain since I have to pay the whole she-bang all at once.

So a couple weeks ago I was trying to file online for my yearly sales tax. I'd never filed online before (always done the paper filing, but I'd heard online filing was much faster and easier so I decided to check it out.) First, they wanted to charge me a non-refundable fee to pay via credit card online. Okay, that kinda sucks, but it was only like $10 so I said screw it, fine, whatever. Then when it was time to enter my CC#, it first asked for my card type. The options in the drop-down box were Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.

That's right. They don't accept Visa.

Which is what kind of card I had.

Seriously, wtf? I ended up having my husband pay with his Mastercard and then I paid him back in cash that I'd made from my last show.

Comment

Working...
        X