This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I imagining this?

I wasn't sure where to post this and I don't even know if anybody can answer ...

I used to buy pizza by the slice at "Little Emperor's".

The last two times I went in there, I've been told "Oh, we don't do that."

Not "we don't do that anymore" just "we don't do that."

In both cases I've said "Oh, is that something new?" only to get a bewildered look, as if I'd asked a question about astrophysics.

Have I slipped into an alternative reality? Does anybody know whether "Little Emperor's" used to sell pizza by the slice and for some reason now doesn't?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Might have been a franchise decision...

Comment

The thing is, I am positive I bought "slices" at two different sites, on opposite sides of the city ...

Ah well, it is what it is. I will have to stick to buying half a pizza from the grocery store I work at in future. Luckily they make pretty decent pizza.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've never heard of them doing that, but then I generally don't eat pizza. Is the half pizza a better deal?
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

What kind of pizza place doesn't sell by the slice?

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            My red roof place, Dice pizza and Daddy Jims do not, as far as I know, sell by the slice. They may have at one time far in the past but not that I know of in the last say 25 years.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Don't think I can recall the Little Emperor ever doing by the slice. (Or Dice or Red Roof). Little's tend to do the full pizza ready when you want it, so you're expected just to pick up a small pizza instead of a slice of pizza.

Maybe check with Papa? I know the ones around here have a sidewalk sign saying they do Pizza By the Slice over the lunch hour.

Greco and most of the independent chains also do By the Slice, usually just over lunch hours.

Comment

MJ: Major franchises in general. Hell, back home, even smaller ones didn't do that until a place came along that specialized in it...They weren't subtle. They literally named the place "Slice."
                Last edited by EricKei; 10-05-2019, 07:47 PM.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I only know of two places in my Town that sell slices; a small regional chain, and an independent place downtown.

Comment

Johnny's New York is the only chain that I know of that does slices.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The Table of Arthur's Knights sells a lunch buffet where you can get slices of the pizzas within the buffet.

I've seen PJs also do the slice thing.

But yeah, most of the major franchises I've seen don't really do that.
                      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

You are not crazy

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...e_Arizona.html

Or at least some other folks have the same delusion.

My guess is that it is/was a thing they tried and either it varys by location or they don't do it anymore, but the folks at your location are too new to remember.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

By the slice only seems to take off in areas where walk-in traffic will sell fast enough to not waste food/money. There's places like WinCo, with the "Leonardi's Pizza" in front that do sell slices since there's so much traffic routed right by the display.

Comment

Buzzard: Good point. IIRC, the first "Slice" location in NOLA was right next to a Whole Foods location in a reasonably gentrified neighborhood. Thus, people tired from shopping (or, if they're wise, people eating BEFORE shopping) who would go there to counteract all of that (hopefully) good-for-you food from WF with a nice, big, foldable, greasy New Yawk slice.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                              Might have been a franchise decision...
                              That would be my take on that.
                              Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                              Quite a few indies and a few local chains.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X