This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small rant

Why is switching hard drives so freakin' complicated? Web tutorials make it look and sound super easy, but it took me 12 hours and several attempts to finally get the new hard disk all cloned from my original and installed and bootable. I tried three different migragration/cloning apps, and the one that finally worked was the manufacturer's, which almost every review of said was crap. Worked flawlessly for me. After I found where to GET it, since it didn't actually come with the hard drive and none of the documentation with it mentioned the manufacturer's software or where to find it. And while I'm ranting... BAD Windows! BAD! *whacks the computer with a rolled up magazine* I'm quite unfond of how difficult Win10 makes some computer management tasks.

I did achieve success finally, though, and now have over 700GB of unused storage and my original 250GB SSD as a spare (the new hard disk is SSD also). Hooray!
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

I've actually never cloned a drive when upgrading. (ETA: But if I did, I think I'd use Clonezilla.)

If it's the system drive, I often just do a reinstall, but if not, well, I know what hoops to jump through.

If it's anything else, I just copy from old to new, file-by-file.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      If it's anything else, I just copy from old to new, file-by-file.
      The command prompt and the xcopy command are your friends.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I know of xcopy, but I literally can't remember the last time I used it for anything.

I use an orthodox file manager (Servant Salamander, a very old (1998) version of Altap Salamander) that makes copying trivial. (Source drive/directory in one pane, target in the other, Ctrl+A, F5, Enter... walk away, it'll take a while.) GUI-as-productivity-tool for the win!

(And for the record, I do it this way to get a clean start on fragmentation. Imaging will leave the files just a fragmented as before.)
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Just be absotively posolutely certain that your destination drive is empty when usng XCOPY. By default, it wipes out whetever's there during the process, and *then* brings your old data over.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Just be absotively posolutely certain that your destination drive is empty when usng XCOPY. By default, it wipes out whetever's there during the process, and *then* brings your old data over.
            That's new to me. As of Win7, Xcopy is still a batch-version of Copy. It saves time due to reading a batch of files, then writing, instead of one file at a time like Copy.

Edit: A little quick research shows no destination deletion on Win 10, either.
            Last edited by Buzzard; 04-05-2018, 12:45 AM.

Comment

My favourites are;

If the destination drive is larger than the one I'm cloning I just use this cloning device; (Spinning rust & 2.5" SSDs).

Anything else I use Easus Todo Backup. I've never had a problem with their utilities, they're normally free for limited home use and the UIs are nice and simple but with deep menus if you want to fiddle
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
              X