Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 04-11-2020, 01:45 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Mkay. Thanks!

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 04-16-2020, 05:07 AM
Deluxe Lackey

A thought on how closing costs from 15 years ago could be relevant to this year's taxes:

As I understand it, if you sell your house for more than you paid for it, you owe taxes on that profit. Perhaps closing costs count as part of the purchase price? So you need them to compute how much profit was made?

I'm just guessing.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:59 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth SpyOne View Post
As I understand it, if you sell your house for more than you paid for it, you owe taxes on that profit. Perhaps closing costs count as part of the purchase price? So you need them to compute how much profit was made?
The "profit" as you call it is a capital gain. The points, as well as any expenses to fix up the house prior to selling (and the original purchase price and realtor's fees) are part of the basis for this calculation.
If the capital gain on a primary residence is less than $250,000 ($500,000 for married filing jointly) there is no federal tax on that gain--some states on the other hand. Yes even if the capital gain is not spent on a new home (there is also no deduction if that is sold at a loss). These sales must be reported even if there is taxable income resulting.
Keep in mind that this only applies to primary residence, selling rental property is just like selling stock....the tax implications anyway.

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged