Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Ninja Perv

Spend your training shift talking about the guy you had sex with over the weekend (and include the details of how it's the first time you've had sex in years), and how now he's not calling you, and whine about how unfair life is. Bonus points if you're over 40.

Extra bonus points if you repeat the story and how you feel about it continuously over the 4 hour shift.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth KiaKat View Post
Spend your training shift talking about the guy you had sex with over the weekend (and include the details of how it's the first time you've had sex in years), and how now he's not calling you, and whine about how unfair life is. Bonus points if you're over 40.

Extra bonus points if you repeat the story and how you feel about it continuously over the 4 hour shift.
That is both very funny and very sad.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Bagger

Once worked with a very no-nonsense woman. She spoke briefly to a teenager who had turned in an app, and after the teen left, tossed the app in the circular file.

"Know why I did that?" she asked.

I didn't. Well, she was dressed like she was going out dancing, had to ask for a pen to fill out the application, but she had come equipped with a comb for her hair and a pack of cigarettes.

"that gives me an idea of her priorities."

At the time, state law said if we were advertising for help, any application needed to be held for six months, but since we weren't, it could be "filed" immediately.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Customer

Walk in barefoot (in an industry in which workers must wear enclosed shoes at all times) and say "You's got any fukken werk?"

Old 08-22-2008, 02:59 AM
Paid Pill Pusher

Hassle the peon behind the lay-a-way counter.

Ask said peon to speak to the personnel manager for you.

After said peon hangs up from speaking with PM, demand to know when PM is going to come out of her office and talk to you.

Repeat until peon grudgingly calls the PM again and repeats exactly what you said.

It's important to note at this time, PM was not a pleasant, sociable lady. Hell, she's the one who repeatedly called my house and harassed my mother, demanding to know where I was and telling her to stop lying because "I know LB is sitting right next to you, now put her on!" Yeah, I got a pink slip from her. That's another story . .

But I digress.

Then, despite the fact that you have to look *up* to see PM in the face, talk down to her in a demeaning tone about your excellent credentials as a cashier as if it's a Bachelor's degree in rocket science.

There was actually a set of half a dozen or so newbs sitting in the lobby, waiting for orientation to start when this happened, and there were six jaws on the floor by the time this guy left. I turned to them with a smile afterwards and said "Well, that's how not to make a good impression! "

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
I need a life

Only one that I can really pass on is one from the movie theater I used to work at... girl walks in, wearing a fancy suit, tells us all about how she had been a manager at the second largest theater in salt lake (this is when I lived in Logan... the theatre I worked at was a quarter the size of the one she was at) and that she was looking for a similar position there with at least the same amount of pay (I think she was asking like $13 an hour).

... ok, the employees made minimum wage... the highest paid manager at that location only made $10 (granted, looking at the cost of living difference you might have been able to have the same standard of living for $10)... there were no management openings...

needless to say she was told that we would not be able to meet her needs.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 PM
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
Wear flip flops and jeans for your interview
It depends on the type of establishment you're applying to.

At my store, that would not be a barrier to employment or an interview if the overall look was neat--i.e. no holes in your jeans and you're wearing a nice top and nice jeans/pants/skirt/capris with your flip-flops.

As long as you're not showing up in ratty sweatpants with an ass caption, or a t-shirt advertising a brand of cigarettes or alcoholic beverages, or festooned with several obscenities, your clothing isn't going to hurt you much in an interview in my store.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Bagger

Quote:
Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
Wear flip flops and jeans for your interview
When working at the Yellow Tag, I got to watch an interview being conducted right in front of me. The girl came over to my counter, asked for the operations manager in a very pleasant tone of voice and chatted very pleasantly with me while I worked on a computer, asking about the employee environment, whether I knew anything about benefits, etc. She had on a nice shirt and looked rather neat.

Then the manager came over, took one look at her and said he would hire her. Turned out she was wearing flip flops. She stated that she didn't have any other shoes because her "friend had her only other pair". Not his problem. After she left, the manager and I shared a shrug.

Really, chica, did you ever see any employee of the store wear flip flops? Ever? Did you honestly think it would be okay to wear them to an interview for a store that require its employees to wear khakis and polo shirts?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Front End Supervisor

Another flip-flops and jeans moment...

I was running up to the custard stand to check on my application that I put in the previous. Just expecting a "Oh yeah, we've got it. We'll call you." type of thing, I wore a slightly ratty long sleeved t-shirt, old jeans, flips flops and socks... Yes, socks with my flip flops, I'm from Ohio, gimme a break.

Anyways, I talk to the owner for a minute and she immediately ushers me in and chats me up about the job, and ends up hiring me and scheduling my "orientation" right there!

I was properly ashamed of my attire, of course. And my mother was horrified that I went up there in that outfit (though quite excited that I got the job).

Though this place didn't have a real uniform - just a tshirt and visor/hat. More often than not I work ratty sweats to work. I did love that job...

Old 08-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Customer

When applying for a job to promote DARE, while waiting for your 2nd round interview, continuously go outside to smoke cigarettes, come in dressed to go dancing (without the figure to do so), and go back and forth to the bathroom.... To sniff a line of coke. (Yes, this happened.... Needless to say, she was sent on her way before the day long 2nd round interview began)