This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Building Challenge

I don't often post a lot about the writing I do in my spare time, which I post to my writing blog. What I post can be of varying quality and topics-- from wrestling-related opinion stuff, to gaming ideas, to various Destiny 2-related shorts-- but I saw a post on r/WorldBuilding with a daily challenge idea that got my brain fizzing.

While I will be posting to the various threads on that subreddit for the challenge, I'm also posting them to my blog, as individual posts, but linking them all on a central "hub post." I thought you all might like to see them. As I write this OP, Day 1 is already up.

#Talecember World Building Challenge Hub Post

Day 1: Origin - The cosmic creation story of the Firmament.

Day 2: Weekend - The captain of the Rōnni shares a drink with a passenger, while another plays cards with some of the crew.

Day 3: Technology - The ship needs some necessary maintenance while approaching a dangerous part of the Firmament.

Day 4: Heirloom - Jalen and Nerra meet with two crew and discuss protecting what's yours.

Day 5: Emblem - Izzur beholds the space station in Pacam's Reach, and the insignia on the various ships there.

Day 6: Gods - The tale of Menid's Folly.

Day 7: Ritual - An account of the ritualistic introductions that take place between Maldasi tribes.

Day 8: Secrets - A secret is revealed about the Star-Born.

Day 9: Rulers - A discussion about erstwhile leaders which have plagued the Firmament.

Day 10: Ceremony - Captain Koroa swears in new crewmates to his Ship.

Day 11: Fairytale - A tale from Maldas-Of-Old, of the King who would become known as the Morsban.

Day 12: Pets - A look at the pet of a merchant

Day 13: Bazaar - Welcome to the Reach Point Prime Market.

Day 14: Monument - Witness he fall of Lord Balvene's statue after his defeat.

Day 15: Legends - Some talk of the legends of the Star-Born...

Day 16: Demons - Remember: as in light, so in dark...

Day 17: Funeral - And so another spark passes from the Firmament...

Day 18: Subculture - Turning away from one's World is a serious matter in the Firmament...
    Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 12-18-2020, 02:38 PM.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

This looks cool. Your first entry is very evocative. I look forward to reading anything else you write for this challenge.

I would love to work on something like this, too, but December is extremely busy and I fear I'd give up after only a few days.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Thanks. Faranesque, the redditor who posted the challenge, replied on Twitter yesterday morning (Day 1) to say that mine was one of the best they'd read so far.

Incidentally, Day 2 - Weekend is up now.

While I've seen plenty of entries on the Day 2 reddit post which are more simple descriptions of weekends, I took mine as an opportunity to write a couple of small scenes featuring the characters I want to focus on, the crew of the Rōnni and some refugees they've picked up.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Newest post, Day 3 - Technology is up now.

Ending on a bit of a cliffhanger, yes, but based on what's going to take place when Dram Scarhide takes Sleita to a place where she can see Menid's Folly, it's better suited to be the focus of a later day's challenge.

Comment

Day 4 - Heirloom

There's not a lot of focus on the titular heirloom, but I wanted to sort of introduce a little more of the myriad groups on the Rōnni with the Whardoni ex-soldiers.
          Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 12-06-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Missed posting yesterday's as well. So two in one go!

Day 5 - Emblem - Izzur beholds the space station in Pacam's Reach, and the insignia on the various ships there.

Day 6 - Gods - The tale of Menid's Folly.

Comment

Day 7 - Ritual - An account of the ritualistic introductions that take place between Maldasi tribes.

Comment

Day 8: Secrets - A secret is revealed about the Star-Born.

Comment

Day 9: Rulers - A discussion about erstwhile leaders which have plagued the Firmament.

Day 10: Ceremony - Captain Koroa swears in new crewmates to his Ship.

Comment

Day 11: Fairytale - A tale from Maldas-Of-Old, of the King who would become known as the Morsban.

Day 12: Pets - A look at the pet of a merchant

Day 13: Bazaar - Welcome to the Reach Point Prime Market.

Comment

Day 14: Monument - Witness he fall of Lord Balvene's statue after his defeat.

Day 15: Legends - Some talk of the legends of the Star-Born...

Comment

Day 16: Demons - Remember: as in light, so in dark...

Day 17: Funeral - And so another spark passes from the Firmament...

Day 18: Subculture - Turning away from one's World is a serious matter in the Firmament...

Comment

Working...
                        X