This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that figures...

Had some fun this morning near the end of my shift. One of the biggest colleges in our area had their graduation ceremony this morning, and even though we're a ways away, our hotel filled up (as did every other one, with so many people looking for rooms). People were getting ready to head out...and my boss called in with some info from the news.

Apparently, a big wheeler rolled and dumped a ton of barrels filled with sand all over the highway, which closed it down for an hour...right as everyone was trying to go that exact route to the college. Doh. We, however, looked awesome to our guests by having maps for two separate alternate routes already printed out for them...so that's a plus. Always nice having happy people for once...especially since I managed to somehow pop something in both ankles and my right knee near the end of my shift, and spent the rest of it in agony. Can still walk...just hurts. Stupid joints...
    Last edited by KhirasHY; 05-09-2014, 03:37 PM.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Isn't that always fun? I always had maps ready whenever there was a major accident. The Skagit bridge collapse was particularly fun because that took weeks for just the temporary replacement.

Once we had a truck full of liquid nitrogen crash about a mile north of us and caused a traffic mess (plus a few snowflakes our way). My CW kept telling guests it was a truck carrying "nitro", and I kept having to correct her. It happened in the morning and we were right by the interstate and I just looked at the traffic mess, looked at the news and realized it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, and printed the maps and had them ready to go before the first guest checked out. It was excellent because guests would come down and say "Hey I just saw the interstate..." and I'd immediately hand them the map with a brief run-down of the incident and the detour.

Hope your ankles feel better soon!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
      especially since I managed to somehow pop something in both ankles and my right knee near the end of my shift, and spent the rest of it in agony. Can still walk...just hurts. Stupid joints...
      I have shallow joints, and managed to dislocate both thumbs just playing volleyball. I have a couple of relatives with the same issue, so it's probably something genetic.

Do you have a similar problem?
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
        Do you have a similar problem?
        Don't think so, haven't had many of those types of problems. I do have a bit of a wiseassery problem, and I'm a bit of a prick to people I don't like though...are those symptoms of anything serious? Anything else wrong with me is pretty hard to spell, and probably eligible for institutionalization.

If anything, I'd bet it's probably just bad luck...I'm a pretty tall guy, and while I'm not obese, I'm heavier than I should be as a result of my astounding capacity for laziness Combining that with the fact that I'm not flexible, I think I just moved wrong and somehow popped something. I broke my right ankle back in high school, but not so majorly that it's caused problems since (just a hairline fracture). Felt better in a few days, so I'm just chalking that one up to "you really should exercise more, but video games, so yeah."

Comment

God, apparently May is the official "Khiras Falls Apart" month! My pain from before healed up...but then this work week hit:

Day one, slipped slightly (but didn't fall), but in doing so pulled a muscle in my back, so I've been in pain from that.
          Day two, helping unload a food shipment, I picked up a heavy box of spaghetti sauce cans. I picked it up correctly, so as not to make my back worse...and popped something in my knee. Hurt like hell, had me limping, but I felt better after I slept, until...
          Day three, started off my shift by re-aggravating my knee and making the limp come back. I then managed to step off a curb wrong and hurt my left ankle again, then had someone bump into me and nail my right ankle with a luggage cart since they weren't watching where they were going.

Of course, on top of that, one of our managers who goes between hotels came in this week, and got very sick...and has been passing it on to all of us. Including me!

Tonight is my Friday, thankfully, but if someone could please initiate a mercy killing, now would be the time.

Comment

Working...
          X