This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a second part time job

After months of brainstorming and finally completing my resume, I've finally found the job that I want. For the moment, a second (but on the side) job is just for the extra income, but I'm mostly hoping to leave my current job and move on to the other one (if I get it). But I want to make sure that I get the job before I leave, to have my income continue to come in than be unemployed and out of a paycheque.

Reason being, I'm fucking dead on the inside every time I go in to work. I've finally lost all enthusiasm to do my tasks. Nothing could make it worth it anymore. I'm so tired of waiting for the moment that I'm off and texting about how much my day sucks. I don't want to be cleaning up disgusting bathroom messes, checking prices, working the bottle depot, doing baskets, and being pulled in several directions anymore.

When I first asked somebody in management if they could be a reference for a second part time job. The first thing I got asked was why I wasn't applying for more hours, and I think they got confused, thinking that I would be working two jobs in one day (I'm only applying right now to work during the days that I don't work). But I did say that I would "think about it" (translation: probably not) and left it at that.

I'm not taking more hours there, because constantly being unhappy isn't worth the extra money. Why, so I can get myself worked up over things and stay ticked off for the rest of my shift? If I want to earn extra income, I want to be in an environment where I'll be happy. I've been feeling down for the past while, and I think my job might be contributing to it. You know your job sucks when you spend much of your shift daydreaming about the job that you want. I've finally worked up the confidence to try and leave my job, after spending last year on the fence about it.

Everybody that I work with have been great to me, but at nearly 24, I think I need to start moving on.
    "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

I did a similar thing about 2 years ago. (has it really been that long? *I muse to myself*)

I actually did like that old job (dietary aid in a nursing home, a glorified dishwasher and server). Not the work, but the resident were wonderful. Serving these kind old men and women, hearing their stories (from seeing the bombing of London as a teen, to being a missionary in South America for 40 years, and many more). It was a joy and a privilege.

But it wore on me, for years I watched the ravages of old age, slowly whittling away my friends. I am strong, I even still visit them from time to time, but I am not strong enough to watch it on a daily basis.

I hope you find something you enjoy soon.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
      I did a similar thing about 2 years ago. (has it really been that long? *I muse to myself*)

I actually did like that old job (dietary aid in a nursing home, a glorified dishwasher and server). Not the work, but the resident were wonderful. Serving these kind old men and women, hearing their stories (from seeing the bombing of London as a teen, to being a missionary in South America for 40 years, and many more). It was a joy and a privilege.

But it wore on me, for years I watched the ravages of old age, slowly whittling away my friends. I am strong, I even still visit them from time to time, but I am not strong enough to watch it on a daily basis.

I hope you find something you enjoy soon.
      Thanks, I've applied to another major retail store. I've been at my current job since I was 17, and it was more like a "beginners" job. I don't see myself having a career there, and I don't want to be there at 25. I've been a customer with the retailer that I've applied for, and I'm familiar with their inventory, so it should be all good. Should be worth the 73 questions that they wanted me to answer on the application.

I would have enjoyed the company of those people, that's the sort of interaction that I'd like with the people around me.
      "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

Working...
      X