Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad to hear you're ok (you did make sure you didn't have a concussion, i hope); this punk proved how much cajones he really had-by running away. he's going to have fun with the hardcore gangstas he so admires very soon, i think.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
      I too took martial arts for some time and I think I know what rule you speak of.

Use your training as DEFENSE, not as revenge.

After that one hit, it could (and should) have been over. You did not need to lash out at him after that.

Of course, I could be wrong. Please let me know.

But I hope things turn out in your favor; he never should have started physical stuff.
      I've never taken any martial arts but I only half assed understand this attitude. I imagine it is to keep the students from becoming bullies.

I see nothing wrong with using violence to defend your rights and property as well as just your physical self.

As to this using just enough violence to fend off the immediate threat, if the bad guy is really determined, that just leads to trading blows.

I sayZ: Once someone has rejected reason, you are entitled to respond with as much force as necessary to minimize your costs (in time, money, enegry) in getting rid of them.

Caveats: I've only had to toss drunks and a lawyer would probably tell you something different.
      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Ho-ly crap. Whoda thunk that it was so dangerous to work in a furniture store??!
        That was pure self-defense. Homeboy was totally out of line, and he probably would've hit him again. We'll see who's laughing and gloating when Bubba comes 'round. That bastard totally deserved what he got.
        "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" Dante-"Clerks"

Comment

EDIT: Kerri, the rule I was referring to was #1 of CS, where we don't advocate violence towards SCs

My teacher said basically the same thing, "Hit back, not first."

End Edit

Okay, now that I'm back home (went out to a movie with some friends) I can continue the story of what happened.

Call me a bad person, but one of the things that was very important during my martial arts training was that when your confronted with a threat, you do what you can to quickly neutralize that threat. He started it, I ended it. I wasn't thinking about revenge, I wasn't thinking to do as much damage as possible because if I was, I could have hurt him much worse than I did.

It was basically reflex, and it did happen very quickly. That's only the third time I have ever struck someone (and I have NEVER struck anyone first, I've only retaliated to defend myself)

In retrospect, I might have been able to get him in a lock or a submission maneuver until the police showed up, but I knew I was bleeding, I knew I was hurt, and I reacted the way I felt I needed to.

I didn't do it to purposely knock the guy's teeth out, I did it because I wanted to protect myself and he was a major threat.

But anyway, back to what happened. The lady wrote down his licence plate information and the husband called the police on the cellphone. They had a cruiser nearby and he showed up within five minutes. By then I had a compress on the back of my head and I was feeling a little dizzy.

The officer got there and all of us told him what happened. We went into the back area - you could actually see a trail of blood from the door back there and it was on some of the furniture too. There was also some blood where I whacked my head on the table.

The wierdest thing though, was that sitting there on the ground was what was left of the guys tooth. Just sitting there. The officer was really cool, asking me if I needed an ambulance. He took the info from the two people that were there, and they went on their way, saying they would come back later.

I called my manager and explained the situation. He was up in LA and unfortunately, nobody could cover for me. I stayed for another hour, the dizziness went away, and I left early.

Monday night, I got a call from the police station. They wanted me to come down to the station, because they caught someone with the description. The way the officer explained it to me, that since it was only about ten minutes since it happened, they put out a bulletin to the local hospitals to look for someone matching the description we all gave. Sure enough, he went to one of the local hospitals, and the police were notified. He was detained. When I got down there, sure enough, it was him, and I pointed this out to the officer.

It turns out he had a few warrants out for his arrest, and the car wasn't even his, it was stolen. This was just the latest thing that set it off. THe officer mentioned offhand that if I hadn't have done that to him, they would have had a hard time catching him, because they always seemed to just miss him. Turns out he was 27 years old.

One of the civilians who worked there told me as I was walking out that "Personally, I'm glad someone did it to him. He put his girlfriend in the hospital, twice, the second time he put out a cigarrette on her arm."

It's still up to me if I want to press charges on the guy, but I don't know if I should. You see, I have a very high profile, recognizeable car, and you always worry that violent people have violent friends...

It seems that they already have enough evidence to put the guy away for quite a long time. I'm worried that he'll make bail and come back.

Because of this, they transferred me to another showroom via my request until the trial, which they told me will be in October.

I don't know guys. I mean, there was no permanant harm done to me. I just have a knot and scab on the back of my head, it didn't even need stitches. He definately got the worse of it, but from what I was told about the guy, it seems karma paid him back enough with what I did to him. Think I should press charges?

I do know that they don't pay me enough for this shit.
          Last edited by Kusanagi; 08-10-2006, 06:49 AM.
          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

I think you should definitely press charges. He deserves to be tried for the crimes he committed, and assault is a serious crime. On the other hand, I could also see how pressing charges could be more of a hassle than it's worth...but it's up to what you feel like doing. Personally, I'd press charges, without much hesitation.
            Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

I think this is appropriate...

If it were me in kusanagi's shoes, a broken nose and missing teeth would be the least of his worries. Once I get shoved or assaulted, I fight back, and I fight dirty.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Damn; how does this kind of stuff keep happening to you? Hope your head is okay.

Still, not sure about the self-defense angle; admittedly, I don't know about the US law on that, but in Germany, self-defense is only applicable in case of an unlawful, currently ONGOING attack. While there's no question about the unlawful part, from your report the attack didn't seem to be ongoing. Now, if he'd followed up on his first attack, it'd be self-defense. But since he was simply standing back and gloating, there was no further attack, so you'd be charged with assault, as well - probably a reduced sentence on account of being attacked first, but assault nonetheless.

The correct way to handle this would've been to call the cops, detain him if possible, get his plate number if not, and report him.
                You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I think there are enough witnesses who can say the other guy hit first to get Kusanagi off the hook. I can't say I approve of violence under most circumstances - you'd have looked pretty bloody stupid if you'd hit him back and he then produced a gun and blew the top of your head off, wouldn't you?

That said, I am very glad they managed to pick the guy up, and that he had previous form. I doubt that even if there is a counter-claim of assault against you, that it would be seriously considered by a court.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Mixed Bag
                    If anyone had to rub me the wrong way with that perspective I'm glad it was someone with a reputation for being nice and sensible--that made it palatable.
                    *LOL* Thanks . . .?

Sorry if I rubbed anybody the wrong way; I was just stating an opinion and never mean to start anything.

But Kusanagi, as far as pressing charges goes, yeah, I'd be a bit apprehensive too. I guess you should ask the cops what you should do . . . they'd probably know best.
                    Last edited by kerrisan; 08-10-2006, 05:52 PM.
                    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                      EDIT: Kerri, the rule I was referring to was #1 of CS, where we don't advocate violence towards SCs

My teacher said basically the same thing, "Hit back, not first."

End Edit
                      <snip>
                      Think I should press charges?
                      I didn't see you advocating violence. You acted in violence, but you have yet to tell anyone else to try this at home

My teacher told me "Never fight in anger" (which I can understand. when you're angry, restraint seems to go away ) as well as the standard "Never start a fight, but finish it."

I would notify the police/DA that you'll press charges to give them more leverage to keep that in jail. But thats as far as you're willing to go with it. Let them decide if they want to pressure that idiot into more jail time.
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Ohhhh, I thought rule no #1 was don't do this:

Under any event, you didn't advocate it, just told us what happened.

And yeah, I'd press charges on that, if nothing more than to add more time on the jail term and lower the parole chance. Multiple assault charges cause the parole chance to plummet. As well, if his girlfriend pulls the "Don't lock him up" card, it won't help.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

This guy is violent, he's had several warrents out for his arrest, he put his girlfriend in the hospital twice, and he severely assaulted you. Yes, he should have charges pressed against him. He needs to be put away where he cannot harm anyone else, and if he tries, he'll get his butt stomped good.

I understand you're worried about your car, but how can he know which car in the lot is yours? The transfer to another store is a good idea, it'll throw off any idiot who's trying to avenge the jerk. You might also want to discuss your fears with the police, see if they can recommend any further action.

And definitely get workman's comp for your head injury.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                            Ohhhh, I thought rule no #1 was don't do this:
                            That's the rule for reading CS post.

He was refering to rule #1 of posting on CS forums. Come on man, get it together
                            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              This guy is violent, he's had several warrents out for his arrest, he put his girlfriend in the hospital twice, and he severely assaulted you. Yes, he should have charges pressed against him. He needs to be put away where he cannot harm anyone else, and if he tries, he'll get his butt stomped good.
                              I'm sorry to hear this happen to you Kus, but like XCashier said his ass needs to be put away. If you have enough to convict him with both your testimony and the other fellonies he's done he should be put away for quite a while. I don't think that he should be allowed to even have a bail or have a bail so damn high none of his loser friends can afford it. Help put a scumbag away. Heck, you may not even have to show up in court if you think that it might cause bodily harm to you, just have a police officer testify for you in your place.
                              Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
                                I guess you should ask the cops what you should do . . . they'd probably know best.

Oh, I forgot to add that they can also offer you protection if you feel you need it.
                                ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Working...
                                X