This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth?

I had an emergency dental appointment yesterday to deal with a horrible toothache. But that's not what this post is about :P

I finally have my new benefits plan in place with my current employer, and while I have to pay more out of pocket, this plan actually has some coverage for dentures. So, once my problem tooth was dealt with I had a chat with my dentist about my new coverage...and we're getting the pre-authorization paperwork sent in to start the process of getting my top plate done!

I will still have to pay a portion of the cost, but it is better than having to pay it all like I would have had to under my old plan. I'll be getting the approximate out-of-pocket cost once I get back the authorization from my plan administrator, and I'm hoping that the amount I've gotten so far thanks to generous folks will cover my OOP for the top plate.

I'm actually rather excited about finally not having to be ashamed of smiling! I think the only thing I'm not looking forward to is when the impression of my teeth is done because I have a very strong gag reflex, and I've been warned that it might be triggered. Bleh. But teeth!!!!

You are going to be so happy when you get your new teeth. It's a huge confidence builder. I got full uppers and a partial lower a couple years ago. It was a long process but so worth it. It sounds like you only need uppers so it shouldn't be quite as tedious for you. Good luck and I hope everything works out with the insurance.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

The impression IS obnoxious as hell..... But, it's pretty fast. Don't go in with a full belly.

Comment

^ Does that happen with a crown mold, too? I need to get one done.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*Apparently* clenching your left hand into a fist helps suppress your gag relfex. Never tried it, so not sure of it's efficacy.
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

It never hurts to try, so I'll give it whirls when the time comes. Either way, I'll put up with it because it will mean I have a decent smile again

Comment

Hear ya. I have a toothache and all the symptoms of an abscess. Going to try to get into the dentist tomorrow (missing work too...grumble). After I have him yank this thing (he's botched a root canal twice but seems to be ok with extractions, he did another of my molars and that was fine) I am done with him and finding someone else.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

My sympathy is all you could want, considering that the day before yesterday I got a tooth removed by a dental surgeon because it somehow got absorbed by my body and had ended up as an enamel shell with broken roots.
                An interesting experience and I admire the man's skill. He got everything including five stitches done in twenty minutes and the day after, the incision was almost painless.
                I'd rather not do it again, though.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  ^ Does that happen with a crown mold, too? I need to get one done.
                  if they need an impression yes because its on a plate thing I had to do impressions for my retainers one of witch went MIA years ago and the bottom is still in place lol.

Comment

I managed to be stupid and dislodged the blood clot from a molar extraction. I had raw bone exposed to air. Felt like someone was sticking an ice pick in my jaw. Fortunately poking around made it bleed and a new clot formed. It still hurts but the hole is closing and I don't have to take 1000mg of tylenol and 500mg of ibuprofen every few hours.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Ouch! I know how much that hurts - been there, done that. No fun at all. I'm glad you're not in as much pain now.

Comment

1000 mg of Tylenol every few hours? That's got to be over the safe dosage.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          *Apparently* clenching your left hand into a fist helps suppress your gag relfex. Never tried it, so not sure of it's efficacy.
                          On July 19th I will be trying this! All the major work is complete so on that date I will be getting the impression done for my top plate I will definitely let you know if it works for me.

Comment

After all this time my top plate is finished! I'll be picking them up next week after payday It will be so weird to get used to having teeth (especially in the front of my mouth) again after so long. I almost didn't recognize myself with the plate in when the doctor handed me a mirror - I actually have a proper top lip with the dentures in!

I can not believe how freakin' excited I am for next week...I'm almost tempted to try to eat a steak the first night I have them. Almost. I'll probably stick to something soft for the first bit haha

Comment

Congratulations! My boss recently had his remaining teeth pulled -- oddly enough, he can still talk reasonably well, but I notice he's drinking a lot of smoothies lately. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X