This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why? Just Why?

If you work for my brand of hotel, you are allowed to stay at said brand for an insanely cheap price (close to $100 off our rack rate). Normally you're not allowed to stay within a certain mileage of the hotel that you work at, but frankly, we're too busy to double check all that stuff.

So, we have a wonderful little butterfly staying at our hotel this week who works for our hotel brand in the downtown location of our town. The second morning she's here, she managed to piss off not only our Front Desk Supervisor, but allso our Executive Housekeeper. Background: as part of our loyalty program, we give out free water bottles to certain level guests. Because it's easier, we just put two bottles in each room on their first night. Important part, the water bottles are only for the FIRST night, not every night.

Now, crazy lady decides to yell at the FDS and EH because she didn't receive 2 additional water bottles. Then she goes on and on about how at her hotel everyone gets them every night. First off, I know the GM of that hotel, they only give them to loyalty guests on their first night. Second off, YOU'RE NOT EVEN ENTITLED TO THE WATER BOTTLES!!!! We do something to be nice to all our guests.

Best part of the story, she just gave me a job application to work here. All I wanted to do was throw the application in the garbage in front of her. Our Executive Housekeeper literally laughed for 5 minutes

I hope whomever took that application tore it up and tossed it in the trashcan in front of her.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Back when I used to work at a chain hotel, we were threatened with losing our jobs if we stayed at another of the company's hotels and that hotel complained about us. In exchange for receiving super awesome employee rate, we were supposed to be on our best behavior...or else.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        I hope whomever took that application tore it up and tossed it in the trashcan in front of her.
        Why subject the trashcan to that sort of abuse? Why not run it through the nearest paper shredder or Allowing her to watch, of course

But seriously, what the hell was the special snowflake thinking? Management could have really made her stay miserable if they wanted to. That is, the snowflake could have found herself in some hot water at her job. They had her name, and now that they know where she works...
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          They had her name, and now that they know where she works...
          AND they know she's looking for another job. I wonder if her current employer knows that?

You would not have to tell them outright, just ring them and ask for a reference.

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
            AND they know she's looking for another job. I wonder if her current employer knows that?

You would not have to tell them outright, just ring them and ask for a reference.

Oh, they know. They called us and went on and on and on about what a great employee she was.......except we're not stupid. If she's a "great" employee, you wouldn't try to shove her off on us. AND you wouldn't be calling us about it before we've even gotten her job application.

And yes, you can also lose your job over going all crazy at a hotel in said chain. That's why I refuse to get my friends any special rates because it would be my job on the line.

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post

I can see that backfiring. if they want to get rid of her, just give a glowing reference. Then she is someone else's problem

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                I can see that backfiring. if they want to get rid of her, just give a glowing reference. Then she is someone else's problem
                I suspect that's how we ended up with some of the co-irkers I have now.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                  That's very funny. I actually did that for a co-worker many years ago. He was a total pain and I wanted to be rid of him. He was so stupid that he asked me for a reference and wanting to be rid of him I gave one. My best friend who worked with me at that time heard me talking on the phone and all wide-eyed asked

"Why did you do that?"

"How else are we going to get rid of him?", I replied and he looked even more surprised.

"BASTARD!" he said.

I laughed.

When a reference is "too good" anyone with a brain discounts it. Mostly you never see a reference that says "This person is totally useless at their job and is unemployable" .

Mostly the reference suggests that this person is the second coming and that is a giant red flag for any employer.
                  Last edited by gerund; 10-25-2013, 11:07 PM. Reason: Added "too good" comment

Comment

Quoth Tash View Post
                    YOU'RE NOT EVEN ENTITLED TO THE WATER BOTTLES!!!! We do something to be nice to all our guests.
                    And there is another example of the long held theory KNOWN FACT that no good deed ever goes unpunished.
                    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Well, in the US, at least, former employers are actually not *allowed* to say anything specifically negative about their former employees. Any intelligent one will simply confirm the very very basic stuff such as "Did they work there", "In what department", and "For how long", for fear of getting sued anyway.

Outside references, on the other hand...^_^

As for the place calling you guys preemptively...? Yeah, I smell a rat, too.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Well, in the US, at least, former employers are actually not *allowed* to say anything specifically negative about their former employees. Any intelligent one will simply confirm the very very basic stuff such as "Did they work there", "In what department", and "For how long", for fear of getting sued anyway.
                        My favorite that I have used before.

"I'm not allowed to confirm anything except that the person in question worked here. You can however as me if I would rehire them."

At which point I usually laugh and say "HELL NO!" They get the point very quickly after that usually. I really only use that one the ones we have fired for very specific reasons though.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          I suspect that's how we ended up with some of the co-irkers I have now.
                          This is almost certainly how we got the guy that transferred in this summer. His old store said he was such a great employee, he could do anything, and since my manager at the time was a complete nincompoop he believed it.

This guy is old enough to be my father, but we have to babysit him. He gets distracted in the middle of tasks and just decides to stroll.

Oh, and despite having six years experience in this company, he still doesn't seem to know how to do much.

Quoth HiddenMica View Post
                          My favorite that I have used before.

"I'm not allowed to confirm anything except that the person in question worked here. You can however as me if I would rehire them."

At which point I usually laugh and say "HELL NO!" They get the point very quickly after that usually. I really only use that one the ones we have fired for very specific reasons though.
                          I would go with "I am only allowed to tell you if they worked here. Yes they did. Now let's discuss the weather, shall we? The clouds move lazily across the sky, and everybody thinks they're stupid."
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            TI would go with "I am only allowed to tell you if they worked here. Yes they did. Now let's discuss the weather, shall we? The clouds move lazily across the sky, and everybody thinks they're stupid."
                            Hee! Got to love Dilbert!
                            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                            X