X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pet peeve of mine is...

"Oh, did I wake ya?"

If you ever have the urge to say this to your overnight clerk anywhere, refrain please. I've heard a million time so I'm sick of it. So just stop. You're not funny.

I wasn't feeling very well, my throat was sore. Had a call last night. A silly sounding woman. Dialogue is as follows:

Me: THank you for calling [hotel name] in [city]. How can I help?

Silly Woman: Is this the [hotel name and city I JUST SAID]

Me: *sigh* Yes?

SW: Ohhhhhhhhhh well....I uhhhhhh..errrrrrrrrrrrrrm....*hems and haws for a few more seconds* I made a reservation there, for my son, and then cancelled it, so could I get the number?

Me: *waits* ...What day was he supposed to come in?

SW: *gives date*

Me: His name?

SW: *gives name*

Me" *Checks computer* Okay I have a cancellation here under that name for that date.

SW: *sounds very surprised* You DO?

Me: *thinks: why do you sound SO surprrrised* Well of course. The cancellation number is:

SW: Wait lemme get a pen.

Me: *waits and waits*

SW: *ten years later, it seems like, why don't people have these things ready?!* Okay ready.

Me: *gives number*

SW: *Repeats number very slowly as if learning*

Me: Yes that's correct.

SW: Okay.

Me: Ok?

SW: *snarkily*....you sound like you just woke up. Did I wake ya?

Me: *snaps* "Noooo I've been up all night. That's rude of you to assume I was sleeping though. Bye. *hangs up*

Ok, I lost my temper a wee bit. BUt At least she's not a customer, she's an ex customer. Hopefully that will make her think twice about staying with us. Can't stand it!
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I have the same job, so I know how you feel. For me it works something like this:

SC: "Did I wake you?"

Me: "Yes, you did. I just got to the bonus round of Who Wants To Be A Billionaire, too."

Comment

I've gotten that question surprisingly few times. The question I get is "how do you stay up all night?" Duh, I sleep during the day. One guest had the audacity to ask I use cocaine to stay awake.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I'm on call 24/7. albeit not in the same industry as you guys, but I sometimes get calls in the middle of the night while I am sleeping. Nothing worse than hearing them say "Did I wake you up?".

My initial response in my head is "Of course you woke me up! What, did you think I was sitting waiting for you to fucking call me?". Thankfully, I've normally woken up enough to not actually blurt that out. Come close a couple of times though.
        Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          One guest had the audacity to ask I use cocaine to stay awake.
          If he had used the street abbreviation, I'd be tempted to misunderstand what he was talking about and answer "Actually, Mountain Dew is better since it has more caffeine".
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post

Me" *Checks computer* Okay I have a cancellation here under that name for that date.

SW: *sounds very surprised* You DO?!
            She was surprised because she didn't cancel it and was ready to have a fit about your hotel screwing things up. Probably her son cancelled it.

Comment

I get the other end of it... "It's too early for this" at 9-10 in the morning, when I've been up for 5+ hours.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

That was a favourite "joke" of my old boss, he used it daily and it was hilarious on each occasion. He finally got the hint that I don't appreciate the joke when I began to answer with "do I fucking look like I'm Vince?!?"

Overall though, I just hate that joke. I yawn, it's part of my waking up process, it's something I do when I've been on the clock for 14 hours. I'm working, I'm hustling, but every once in a while a yawn slips out. And then I get the inevitable "did I wake ya?" Just fuck off, it was just a yawn dumbass.
                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
                  I'm on call 24/7. albeit not in the same industry as you guys, but I sometimes get calls in the middle of the night while I am sleeping. Nothing worse than hearing them say "Did I wake you up?".

My initial response in my head is "Of course you woke me up! What, did you think I was sitting waiting for you to fucking call me?". Thankfully, I've normally woken up enough to not actually blurt that out. Come close a couple of times though.
                  I did the same thing for around 2 years in IT Tech Support. Most of the time the calls we received after hours were either from another tech (same company) or a call center person (also same company) so we knew there was the possibility that we would indeed wake someone up with a call.

There was only once or twice that I did not at least sound awake when the phone rang at 3am. both times were just after my Ex-Wife left and (will the full knowledge of my supervisor) I got drunk the first weekend after. They got busy and had no choice but to call me (hoping I had partial mental facililties) and yes I managed to get the client up and running (how I still do not know or remember).

Heck there were nights when my cell phone did not stop ringing most of the night so YES I was already awake.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

-Did I wake you?
                    -No,I'm still asleep and you're just a figment of my imagination.
                    *hang up phone*
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                      I'm working, I'm hustling, but every once in a while a yawn slips out. And then I get the inevitable "did I wake ya?"
                      "No, you're just using up all the oxygen in the room."
                      Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      One guest had the audacity to ask I use cocaine to stay awake.
                      "If I had the money to afford cocaine, I wouldn't be working here!" Do these people even think before they open their mouths?!

::glances up at header:: Oh, of course. Silly me, expecting SCs to think...!
                      Last edited by XCashier; 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Ugh, I get that all the time. And since for most of those who aren't on call, sleeping on the job could get us fired. So they're basically asking if we're doing something that's going to get us into a lot of trouble. And a hint to them? If we're at the desk, we're not sleeping.

Comment

Working...
                        X