This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on the phone

You know the situation: You're on the phone assisting a customer( in my case a patient, getting orders, corrections or somthing else) and somone else walks up, sees you're on the phone and begins to start talking anyway. You put your hand over the reciever and let them know you'll be with them in just in min., that dosen't work because they have somthing else to tell you "really quick" ( somthing obvious like "I'm here for a test".. yea just like the 20 other people waiting) and since you've now answered them with an uh-huh they're now going to start asking you questions, still ignroing that you're on the phone. The person on the phone giving you information assumes that you've been disconnected because you're now dealing with this person and you have to start all over again. (especially annoying when you have to call a place that has an automated answering service and you have to wait through the entire message to get through again)

How complicated is it to wait? I can't believe the amout of people that did this yesterday

One way to cope with that is to do the "I'll be with you in a minute" thing then break off any and all engagement with the SC after the statement. No eye contact, no listening. Turn away a bit and cover your other ear if the "background noise" interferes with your conversation with the customer on the phone.

If you phone cord is long enough you might even consider walking away from the SC. All in the interest of adhering to HIPPA regulations, of course.

It's just too bad you can't pull down a soundproof barrier to really give them the hint.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

If I wouldn't get into trouble, I'd just shut the window! Our hospital is on this big customer service kick..

Comment

you're unlucky then, local doctors have a sound proof window they shut if they don't wanna be disturbed, and the customers/patients just have to wait til they open the window when they are available to help.
        Rawr

Comment

As a food server, I do something that might be considered rude, but I get away with it, and here's why:

If I am at Table A and Table B starts motioning me over, waving me over, talking to me, yelling at me, trying to get my attention, I simply hold up my hand in their direction with my index finger up. As in, "One moment, I'll be with you when I am done here." Because right now I am dealing with Table A, and you can wait a damn moment, as I don't let anyone interrupt me when I am at a table, and that includes yours.

How do I get away with this? Simple.

Once I am done with Table A, I go to Table B that summoned me/flagged me down/tried to talk to me/whatever, and in my nicest, bestest, Jesterest voice say, "Hey, what's up? What can I do for you? What do you need?" So that they know that now I am paying 100% attention to them, just as I was a moment ago with Table A.

Not once has anyone ever bitched, complained, moaned, whined, or acted like Vanessa Williams when I did this. Except, of course, Vanessa Williams.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

GAWD, I feel your pain on this one!

There are few things more irritating than waiting through a loooooong queue, *finally* getting a hold of a person, and as soon as your into some complicated insurance thing, some jackass waltzes up, sees you on the phone, and keeps yakking at you anyway. It's NEVER about anything important, either!

It would be one thing if I were obviously in the middle of a personal conversation, but it's quite another thing to interrupt an obvious business call like that. And besides, I have NEVER carried on with a personal call while a patient is approaching- if anything, I see a patient approach and I'll quickly say "Sorry Mom, I've got to go but I'll call you later tonightloveyouBYE!" and hang up with a sheepish grin. If I make eye contact with the patient while I do it, they usually smile or laugh.
            "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Working...
            X