This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday is Black Friday everywhere

So, Black Friday has transcended the boundaries of the United States. It's an event in the United Kingdom. It's an event in Romania.

And, in the Czech Republic, it's also made its presence known. Much to my dismay.

Today, I went to a department store to make a small purchase. I had to wait in line at the counter. There were two people ahead of me, and we were standing roughly at a 45-degree angle to the counter. As I waited, a woman walked past me and stood at the counter. I was further from the counter than she was, but I was most certainly the one who had been waiting longer. I sidled over so that I was standing in front of her.

Bitch puts her purchase on the counter, where the cashier could see it plainly, in an attempt to get her to run the sale before mine.

I put my purchase on the counter in front of the bitch's.

The cashier picked up my purchase and scanned it, and I paid for it.

Score! She knew I'd been there longer.

I may just stay at home the entire month of December, except for going to work. Online shopping - and home delivery - are so easy that I'm very tempted to do ONLY that form of purchasing.

Black Friday has also become a thing in Denmark - last year it was only online retailers launching it (and that even with meakly "25% off all items" offers), but this year brick-and-mortar stores are joining in as well, and doorbuster items are also announced.

Most stores don't begin the BF sale before 6pm (as in, as we speak) though, since most people don't have today off from work.

I managed to get some minor items with BF discount earlier today (70% on a TV (online retailer) that Lil'Zel will get for Christmas, 75% on some ribeye steaks and wine (supermarket) we'll be nomming tomorrow) without any hassle whatsoever. But it'll be interesting to read the news tomorrow if any riots have occured.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
      I may just stay at home the entire month of December, except for going to work.
      I'll be going out to my local WallyWorld middle of next week, to get a bunch of stuff my grocery store doesn't stock. I will, however, be getting enough of each of those items to last at least a month and I will, however, be going about 11 o'clock pm.

Wonder what rannygazoo I'll run into . . .

Comment

Black Friday is here in Canada, too.

I'm staying home, though, and not buying anything, except for virtual stuff for my games, and even those purchases are around 99¢ or so.
        Last edited by cindybubbles; 11-28-2014, 06:57 PM.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          I'll be going out to my local WallyWorld middle of next week, to get a bunch of stuff my grocery store doesn't stock. I will, however, be getting enough of each of those items to last at least a month and I will, however, be going about 11 o'clock pm.

Wonder what rannygazoo I'll run into . . .
          Next week is the first of the month, so you'll probably meet some fine, upstanding citizens at Awful-mart at 11pm

Comment

Ugh, I have to go out today to get a new thermostat for the house. I killed ours the other night. Don't know why but the other night everything I touched was shocking me (or I was shocking it) and I didn't think to ground myself before I tried to adjust the temp in the house. ZOT!Owwww... and the thing flashed and died. Hopefully the hardware store in town has a suitable replacement. I really, really don't want to go to the local Malwart today.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I watched some videos on Facebook today of some stores in the UK where people were acting like idiots. I must apologize for sending the ND virus over there.
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                Black Friday has also become a thing in Denmark - last year it was only online retailers launching it (and that even with meakly "25% off all items" offers), but this year brick-and-mortar stores are joining in as well, and doorbuster items are also announced.

Most stores don't begin the BF sale before 6pm (as in, as we speak) though, since most people don't have today off from work.

I managed to get some minor items with BF discount earlier today (70% on a TV (online retailer) that Lil'Zel will get for Christmas, 75% on some ribeye steaks and wine (supermarket) we'll be nomming tomorrow) without any hassle whatsoever. But it'll be interesting to read the news tomorrow if any riots have occured.
                Youtube Black Friday UK

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                  I watched some videos on Facebook today of some stores in the UK where people were acting like idiots. I must apologize for sending the ND virus over there.
                  If they are from the store I work for, it is mainly because another store had BF starting at 8am, and my store wanted to start earlier

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                    Next week is the first of the month, so you'll probably meet some fine, upstanding citizens at Awful-mart at 11pm
                    Well, I'm going Wednesday, not Monday, so I'm still hoping for minimal suckiness.

I just jinxed myself, didn't I?

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
                      Youtube Black Friday UK
                      Done that, and am appalled.

Over here, some YT links hinted long lines, but no disruptive behaviour, and one mall even announced camel rides for the kids + poledancers for those waiting on a good deal in shoes! Guess that's Scandinavia for ya...
                      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

It's gotten TOO big in the UK. It doesn't seem to have crept up over the years. One year Black Friday was just an urban legend that apparently happened in the States that sounded horrific! Next thing, boom and it's here! I saw a video on Facebook that was filmed in Tesco, a major supermarket in the UK. People were everywhere and they were fighting. Some woman had a big item in a cardboard box and people were trying to grab it off her. I was like, fucking REALLY?!

Luckily, where I work, Black Friday is still an urban legend! PHEW!

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                          Done that, and am appalled.

Over here, some YT links hinted long lines, but no disruptive behaviour, and one mall even announced camel rides for the kids + poledancers for those waiting on a good deal in shoes! Guess that's Scandinavia for ya...
                          The chain I work for, every store that was open had a riot, 3 got closed by the police, loads had staff punched by customers, and my store had a trail of blood on the floor from a customers broken nose

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                            It's gotten TOO big in the UK. It doesn't seem to have crept up over the years. One year Black Friday was just an urban legend that apparently happened in the States that sounded horrific! Next thing, boom and it's here! I saw a video on Facebook that was filmed in Tesco, a major supermarket in the UK. People were everywhere and they were fighting. Some woman had a big item in a cardboard box and people were trying to grab it off her. I was like, fucking REALLY?!

Luckily, where I work, Black Friday is still an urban legend! PHEW!
                            I work for that company, evannah, just youtube black friday tesco, you'll see way worse

Comment

Damn, that's just so wrong! Yup, no Black Friday shopping for Morgana.

Comment

Working...
                              X