Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It definitely is a thing here in Canada, and it blows my mind. I did end up heading out today but I didn't get to the stores until around noonish so most of the insanity had died down. When I stopped at one of the grocery stores here in town that is a 24hour location my cashier told me that there were people lining up from 5am in order to get the deals that started at 7am. They actually had a separate cash open in their electronics area - something that they haven't had since they rearranged the store!

Comment

Thankfully we don't have Black Friday down under. We have post-Christmas sales, but the worst we get is this http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=104069

However, a Costco has just opened here, so it will be interesting to see if their members do start behaving like our US and UK counterparts come the days following Christmas.
      the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
        I work for that company, evannah, just youtube black friday tesco, you'll see way worse
        I'm not sure I want to. Might give me nightmares! Did you work Black Friday? If you did, hope you are okay!

Comment

What I don't understand is the rationalisation for having Black Friday in other countries. Without Thanksgiving it's just an excuse for a sale. If someone said that we needed a Thanksgiving in Denmark because we have so much to be thankful for and Black Friday grew out of that, it would make some sense.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
            What I don't understand is the rationalisation for having Black Friday in other countries. Without Thanksgiving it's just an excuse for a sale.
            It's even worse here, we do have thanksgiving. It's in October. We still have black Friday sales in some places, although some of them are all this week, some are this weekend, and a lot are on Thursday. I think it is in response to people shopping over the border, but wouldn't it make more sense to plan local holiday sales around certain times/themes without talking about 'black friday' as if it had any relevance here? If the goal is to get shoppers to stay shopping local at least.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
              I'm not sure I want to. Might give me nightmares! Did you work Black Friday? If you did, hope you are okay!
              I did, but luckily I was on a 12pm-9pm shift, so I missed the riot, just had to tell all the customers that all the BF deals had been sold

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                What I don't understand is the rationalisation for having Black Friday in other countries. Without Thanksgiving it's just an excuse for a sale. If someone said that we needed a Thanksgiving in Denmark because we have so much to be thankful for and Black Friday grew out of that, it would make some sense.
                My theory is that it's a means of getting rid of loads of old stock in an easy way, cuz calling the sale "Black Friday" instead of "Clearing Out All Our Old Shit So That We Have More Room For Newer, Better Stock" appears to give the sale a legit reason.

Smart people go to the January sales for bargains. XD
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  My theory is that it's a means of getting rid of loads of old stock in an easy way, cuz calling the sale "Black Friday" instead of "Clearing Out All Our Old Shit So That We Have More Room For Newer, Better Stock" appears to give the sale a legit reason.

Smart people go to the January sales for bargains. XD
                  Sounds about right, the tv that everyone was fighting for in my stores BF sale was a 32" 720P tv for £99

Comment

I think it was pretty big here (UK) as it was payday, and the last payday many people get before Xmas, so a big sale on payday...
                    Me, I did my shopping on Saturday, and it was as busy as a typical Saturday. :-)

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
                      Sounds about right, the tv that everyone was fighting for in my stores BF sale was a 32" 720P tv for £99
                      And the people who fought to get one will soon find out, as many in the states found out the hard way, that the TV isn't worth the box it's packed in.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        And the people who fought to get one will soon find out, as many in the states found out the hard way, that the TV isn't worth the box it's packed in.
                        That's the thing, right? I remember reading something about a BF laptop a couple years ago... It was a super deal, but stripped down, bare bones. Not a great deal after all!

About a year and a half ago I bought a 32" 1080P flatscreen and cute little tv stand for a total of approx $275. TV was $200, stand $50 plus tax. Maybe there would be a better deal on BF, but oh well. Paid for online, picked up at the store where I pulled into the special spot directly in front and a nice guy loaded them into my car.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                          Well, I'm going Wednesday, not Monday, so I'm still hoping for minimal suckiness.

I just jinxed myself, didn't I?
                          guy 1: Alright that's our target. LOAD THE SUCK CANNON.

guy 2: isn't that just the vaccuum cleaner?

guy 1: look if you are just going to nitpick you can go home.
                          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

As A Proud American, I ask only this....

Will you Please forgive us for spreading the plague?

OT: Good eye on the cashier, on a busy day it can be hard to see who comes in first.
                            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

The £99 Tv is actually not a bad one at all. Its a basic standard model discounted from £200 which they sell. I actually recommended it to a friend as the store were doing their deals all weekend and he needs a basic TV rather quickly.

I avoided the shops all weekend but did purchase an online deal for a new vacuum cleaner - and it wasn't even a BF deal but was better than most of the other deals out there that did say they were BF ones.... (Obviously Vaccums are not on the major hit list for BF though... lol)
                              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                                In Canada it makes sense. A lot of Canucks would be crazy enough to go south to join the madness in the States, so Canadian retailers have jumped wholeheartedly onto the BF bandwagon to try and get a cut of that pie. In the past 3-5 years especially it's really taken off it seems.

In my neck of Canada, it doesn't seem to have gotten quite as bad. While I'm sure some companies had Door Buster deals early on, most of them just had a weekend-long "Black Friday Weekend Sale" (probably in recognition that a lot of people don't get paid till the Saturday and because Friday itself is still a normal workday for most people, unless you shift it or take a vacation day).

Mom came down Friday evening and we wandered around a little and it wasn't too bad. (Did a decent chunk of our XMas shopping too). Went out Saturday morning, and while the mall was busy, it didn't feel packed to the gills. (Granted we avoided MaulMart, but that is usually packed no matter what day it is).

Comment

Working...
                                X