This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buggy Douchebag

Since moving to the great state Ohio, I've encountered a particular brand of douchebag I didn't encounter much in NC: the kind that leave those store-owned motorized scooters outside. Cold weather wreaks havoc on batteries and it's been in the high 20s this last week.

Sapphire Silk and I had to run out to the grocery store on Black Friday to grab some extra cranberry sauce to help with finishing up the turkey leftovers. When we pulled up into the parking lot, I saw one of the buggies sitting outside. SS and I griped about people leaving the things outside, expecting someone from the store to come get them. Not only does it drain the batteries, it leaves the seat freezing cold, too! I wasn't hurting too bad, but I'd rather take the buggy inside and use it than let it sit out there, so I hopped in and drove it inside.

When we got inside, there was an older gent with a walker trying to get a regular cart out of the indoor corral. There was another motor buggy sitting against the wall and it didn't take a genius to figure out it was dead and he needed a buggy. I offered to let him have mine, and we agreed that it was really frustrating when there were no buggies because jerks leave them out in the cold or don't plug them back in when they were done.

We go about our shopping and head out to the car only to see the guy backing his car out of the spot right next to ours... with the buggy sitting right there in the space between handicapped spaces! He'd even left it turned on!

I looked that douchebag straight in the eyes and said "Really?", pointing at the buggy. He had said he hated it when people leave the buggies out in the cold, then not fifteen minutes later did the same damned thing. He just ducked his head and drove off. I can only hope he felt like the schmuck he is for getting caught being a complete hypocrite.

And yes, we took the time to drive it back inside, plugging in the other buggy with it's dead battery, before taking off to nom our leftover feast.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

laziness and entitlement....

If there were a way that the scooters could be disabled as soon as they passed the entrance way, that would be handy...

Comment

They don't drive well in the parking lot. And honestly, when I broke my foot and was using one, the grocery store was happy to have a bagger or someone help me get my groceries to my car.

All I had to do was ask nicely. I don't understand why this is so hard for some people
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've lost count of the amount of mart carts I've found left behind next to the handicapped spots at work. I remember one time it was clearly about to start pouring buckets any minute, and I asked (i.e. advised) a handicapped customer to let me follow him out so I could unload his groceries and -- more importantly -- make sure the cart was brought back in before it started raining, but noooooooooooooooo, he insisted on going out by himself. Naturally, barely two minutes later, the manager tells me to go out and get the cart that was left next to the handicapped space. So of course I run out there, it's already starting to come down heavy, and I'm trying to get the cart started up...and the guy who left it there is sitting there in his car watching me. I eventually had to literally drag the thing into the store because it wouldn't start up (I was getting soaked), and ended up with horrible lower back pain for the better part of a week, just because that prick refused to allow an employee to follow him out in the first place. Thanks a lot.

Comment

And making it even more fun is that the batteries on those (and electric wheelchairs) tend to stop holding a charge when they get too cold. Even plugging it in may not help until the batteries thaw out. People who leave them outside are inconsiderate jackasses, even more so when it's cold/snowing/raining.

Comment

Quoth taeraresh View Post
            People who leave them outside are inconsiderate jackasses, even more so when it's cold/snowing/raining.
            And they're the same people who piss and moan and scream "ADA!" when the motorized carts are out for repair.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
              I've lost count of the amount of mart carts I've found left behind next to the handicapped spots at work. I remember one time it was clearly about to start pouring buckets any minute, and I asked (i.e. advised) a handicapped customer to let me follow him out so I could unload his groceries and -- more importantly -- make sure the cart was brought back in before it started raining, but noooooooooooooooo, he insisted on going out by himself. Naturally, barely two minutes later, the manager tells me to go out and get the cart that was left next to the handicapped space. So of course I run out there, it's already starting to come down heavy, and I'm trying to get the cart started up...and the guy who left it there is sitting there in his car watching me. I eventually had to literally drag the thing into the store because it wouldn't start up (I was getting soaked), and ended up with horrible lower back pain for the better part of a week, just because that prick refused to allow an employee to follow him out in the first place. Thanks a lot.
              Yea, I think this is a 'stop asking, start telling' thing. Your boss probably won't let you, but what needs to happen is to TELL people you are going to come out with them to bring back the cart. They can have you help with the groceries or not, but coming out to get the cart is NOT OPTIONAL.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I've lost count of the amount of mart carts I've found left behind next to the handicapped spots at work.
                Add another one today.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  And they're the same people who piss and moan and scream "ADA!" when the motorized carts are out for repair.
                  I am sorry, but what does the "ADA" have to do with the motorized cart?

I thought ADA only required you to make the building accessible for the handicapped (ie. wide aisles, wide doors, elevators for multiple floors, ect.). So I thought the scooters were there as an "above and beyond" type thing.

Of course, SCs will always be SCs (misusing a law only lawyers have read). It is also very rare for companies to do something good without being legally required to (who normally only go by the letter of the law). hmmm

I guess this could go either way. So if someone can tell me I will be greatly happy.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I'm a very mobile person who will ride the abandoned carts back to the store. I can't tell you how many people yell at me for doing that. I'm trying to do a good thing and people yell at me because I should be walking and leaving the motorized cart in the parking lot for someone else to use.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                      I'm trying to do a good thing and people yell at me because I should be walking and leaving the motorized cart in the parking lot for someone else to use.
                      Uh, that isn't how it works, you cretins...the carts have to be CHARGED UP, and you can't exactly plug them in in the middle of the lot. And they can't be rained on, or left out in the extreme cold. If a disabled customer wants one, we can easily drive one out to them if need be.

Comment

Uh, that isn't how it works, you cretins...the carts have to be CHARGED UP, and you can't exactly plug them in in the middle of the lot. And they can't be rained on, or left out in the extreme cold. If a disabled customer wants one, we can easily drive one out to them if need be.
                        Also to prevent their theft!

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                          I am sorry, but what does the "ADA" have to do with the motorized cart?
                          Nothing. That's just what the SCs yell at us when the motorized cart is in the shop.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            what needs to happen is to TELL people you are going to come out with them to bring back the cart.
                            Just start following them out. If the custy questions you, put on your fakest butter-wouldn't-melt-in-your-mouth smile and say "As part of our extraordinary customer care, I'll be bringing your cart back in for you, so you can go about your day!"

Comment

A couple times a week, I help my neighbor who has mobility challenges with his food shopping. After 15 years of shopping with the man, one would figure that I know the list pretty well...but he is a control freak and needs to go to the store with me.

Recently, he has started using a store provided mobility cart to get around the store. The store staff are incredible...while I wheel the purchases out to my vehicle an employee accompanies my neighbor to help with loading the purchase and returning the mobility cart to the store.

I have never had to ask for help...it seems that me with my limp and my neighbor using the mobility cart the staff are able to see that a little extra help is needed and sincerely appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X