This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I almost started a riot at Sears over the Christmas Music

OK, there were only about 10 people involved, but I'm still hoping that someone somewhere heard about it.

I had to go to Sears because I needed an adaptor for my washing machine. I got annoyed as soon as I walked in because of the LOUD Christmas music. As I was talking to the guy who got my adaptor for me, I asked who I should talk to about the music. Of course he got the deer in the headlights look and offered to call for a manager. I smiled and said that would be a good idea.

When the manager showed up, I complained that the loud music had ruined my shopping experience and the manager told me that she had no control over it and that everyone else seemed to like it. So I yelled to the other customers "Who likes this loud music?" and a bunch of people came over to yell at the manager about how much it sucked. She fled like a rat being chased by a bunch of cats, the music turned down low, we all high-fived each other and I got a hug by the check out girl.

Yeah, I'm a Grinch...I'm the one who shuts off those stupid animated singing things by the cash registers as well. (Not only that, I reverse the batteries so the managers can't just turn them back on.)

Now, I hate canned muzak playing in most stores as much as the next guy, Christmas-themed or otherwise (seriously, I like to read on my break, and I find it very difficult to concentrate when music of any kind is playing), but you were kinda being an SC there.
    Last edited by Monterey Jack; 12-01-2014, 04:40 AM.

Comment

While I hate to argue with such a nice person as you, I have to say that you are wrong in this case. Those poor workers had to listen to it all day long. We have Christmas music at our store and you can tell by the shelves...the shelves under the speakers are a mess, the ones a bit away are always very nice.

Nobody wants to listen to LOUD seasonal music no mater what season it is.

However, I will agree to disagree with you on this point. If the others tell me that I shouldn't have asked for the music to be turned down because it bothered me as a customer, I won't do that again. If anyone tells me that they like the animated singing things going off all the time, I will stop shutting them off as well.

Offers hand to shake yours. Peace?

PS do you like to read horror...if so, look for Tim Curran. He does the best Lovecraft tributes ever.
      Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 12-01-2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        Offers hand to shake yours. Peace?

At least you were nice to the employee you complained to.

I sometimes forget it's okay to request a manager, considering the site I'm on. And I'm totally with you as far as canned muzak goes...I don't think my store has changed their lineup of roughly three-dozen songs since 2004, so when I hear Madonna's "Die Another Day" (aka the worst James Bond title song ever recorded ) playing about five or six times a week, it really ticks me off.

Comment

Loud music is never a good thing, background not foreground should be the rule. My dad can't go to several supermarket chains over here because the music sets his tinnitus going and gives him a headache. If I can't hear someone talking to me quietly, then I leave myself.

Comment

My husband has had to leave public places because the music was too loud for him. Businesses do need to take customers with very acute hearing and/or sensory issues into account, unless they're trying to drive people away via physical pain.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Our Christmas muzak is turned up as high as it can go. But the PA system is ancient so it's not louder than background music anyway. Mostly this is so we can hear pages; there are some areas of the store where it's hard to hear them when the music is turned down lower.

The break room, OTOH, has become a bit more of a Christmas wonderland than I'd like.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

IF it's so loud that people find it uncomfortable then yes, they need to turn it down. What's the purpose of loud music anyway? To distract you enough to realize that there's not enough open registers?...lol.

Comment

Something similar happened where I work. A couple of weeks ago, the music was louder than usual and it was Xmas music. I overheard some customers moaning about it. Then they came over and asked me and my other colleague how we coped with music this loud. We said it wasn't usually this loud and then begged them to complain about it. I told them to be nice but just... get it out there that the music was rather loud.

Cue 5 minutes later. The music had been down and the customer came walking over with her two thumbs in the air and a big grin on her face!

Comment

My hotel plays muzak in the lobby... but not when I'm on duty. It goes off when I come on.
                    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Music should be an 'accent'. You should be able to hear it, but be able to speak and not hear it.

Nice soft music is enjoyable, Loud music and I am joining the next riot.
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Agreed. Music should be in the background, emphasis on the back. If you can't hear clearly because the music is too loud then you're going to be losing sales which is not what a store wants.

The OP handled it perfectly I think; well maybe the shouting for other customer support might have been a bit over the top, but I like that visual too. Sounds like the manager was either newish, was fresh from the backbone removal machine, or had simply drunk too much from the Koolaid (The Store Directives say music must be played at L7 on the Store PA system, and damnit! We're playing it at L7 even if that means the speakers blow out and you can hear it all the way down to the WalMart at the other end of the mall complex.)

Comment

I can understand music being loud..I would have no problem with Christmas music now though as it is December after all.

Comment

It's not the music, it's the volume. I refuse to eat at Orange-Wasps simply for that sole reason, the music's so loud it blasts me out of the place.

I hope the employee's appreciated you in getting the volume turned down...

Comment

i like dance music/ r and b as much as the next guy, but those clothing stories that crank it to max so the whole mall can hear it , is a bit of a turn off,

Comment

Working...
                              X