This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try as you might, Can't ruin my wedding

I'm getting married this Sunday. Back in early November, my fiance and I went to a very popular men's suits and tuxes business just over the border in Mass. We were introduced to someone who had been working for a few months so he wasn't brand new anymore. Went through all the different tuxes and such. Finally settled on a nice Vera Wang tux. We then went through the measurements. Now I've been to a few weddings in the last year, I'm quite familiar with most of my measurements. My body hasn't fluctuated much in the last year. All his measurements matched up to what I figured. Watched him write my measurements down to make sure he got it right.

Once we were done sizing me up, I tried on some close fitting tuxes and I loved what I saw. We then went over payment information and pickup. We are getting married in New Jersey so I can't pick up the tux in Massachusetts. I had him put down a location that's right down the street from my apartment. Then I'd return it at the location by where we'd be for the wedding itself. Pretty simple enough.

This Wednesday, I got an email saying my Tux was ready for pickup. Since it was already late and I'm busy Thursdays, I figured I'd go Friday. The email says if I get there before 4pm, I can have it sent out for alterations and pick it up the next day. Today, Friday, I went and it wasn't there. The assistant manager looked it up as I chatted with the manager. Turns out the tux was sent to Reno, Nevada. Zip codes aren't even close so I don't know how the guy from Massachusetts even screwed it up. Not a huge deal, they could have it sent overnight. Then he looked at my order and started cracking up. Based on the measurements on the order, he could visually tell without measuring me it would never fit. The waist size on my pants was four inches bigger than what we agreed on, the pants two inches too big, the chest way too small, the arm lengths too small. The manager remeasured me and the ONLY measurement that was correct was my neck. Lucky for me, they do fast alterations and I can pick up the correctly sized tux tomorrow morning at 9:30am.

I don't know how so much could possibly be screwed up. Nearly every single measurement was screwed up. The store it was sent to wasn't even nearly close to in name or zip code or state I said I'd pick it up (and we even went over a map to show him which location to send it to...). I plan on calling the store I placed the order in and speaking to a manager about it. That's too big a screw up to let go. I figured I'd do that instead of going straight to corporate and making it into a huge issue for the entire store instead of just the employee who screwed up.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I hope that the misplaced tux is the only thing that goes wrong. (My fiancé lost our rings in his pocket.)

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
      Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I hope that the misplaced tux is the only thing that goes wrong. (My fiancé lost our rings in his pocket.)
      Our rings are the only decorations on our Christmas tree.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Mine weddings in 4 months and we're getting the tuxes through the same chain. They'd best not fuck this up!

Glad it all worked out, and congrats!
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Given that you'll be wearing a tux, and that you spelled "fiance" with one "e" instead of two, it's possible that someone didn't approve of your wedding and deliberately screwed things up. As for the location they sent the tux to, it can't be a simple "fat finger" issue - "J" and "V" aren't even typed with the same hand.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
            Turns out the tux was sent to Reno, Nevada... Then he looked at my order and started cracking up. Based on the measurements on the order, he could visually tell without measuring me it would never fit.
            I'm betting they switched your name with another one for the same tuxedo, that there's a tuxedo in your measurements at that shop under another name, and there's some guy with those measurements in Reno who's also WTFing.

Comment

Went at 10am and UPS was running 90 minutes late. Had to walk around the mall for an hour waiting for the UPS guy to get there. Pants fit perfectly, jacket fit perfectly, the shirt size was correct.

And the managers gave me $100 off for all the trouble that wasn't even caused by them. These guys were classy.

Comment

I was thinking the same as TheSHADOW, that your entire correct order is under someone else's name. So happy for you that you had time to correct the issue, and it didn't effect your wedding. Good wishes on your wedding!
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                  Went at 10am and UPS was running 90 minutes late. Had to walk around the mall for an hour waiting for the UPS guy to get there. Pants fit perfectly, jacket fit perfectly, the shirt size was correct.
                  Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                  I was thinking the same as TheSHADOW, that your entire correct order is under someone else's name. So happy for you that you had time to correct the issue, and it didn't effect your wedding. Good wishes on your wedding!
                  Regardless of whether it was someone messing with a person they didn't approve of, or a simple "brain burp" that resulted in the names on 2 orders being switched (Reno guy would likely be screwed, since Nevada is notorious for "quickie" weddings for out-of-state people), this is a classic example of WHY you arrange to have custom work done and delivered ahead of time - if something goes wrong, you have time to fix it. Note that this only applies to non-perishables - ordering the flowers for a week ahead of time is pointless, since they'll wilt. Wedding cakes are frequently fruitcake, so they're not likely to go bad if ordered ahead of time.

Of course, SCs don't believe in planning for mistakes and workarounds. They'll plan on dropping in 1/2 hour before the ceremony to collect the tux. Delivery truck broke down? Made to wrong measurements? It's the salesman's fault for RUINING the wedding!
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Congratulations! Glad it worked out.

Some years back my husband was a groomsman in a friend's wedding; the wedding was taking place in a town several hours away (the groomsmen were scattered all over the country) so Husband went to local tux rental place, had measurements taken and tux rental place in Wedding City would have them ready the day of the rehearsal. Now, Wedding City didn't have a tux rental place so they had to come from a city two hours away.

That night after the rehearsal Husband tried on his tux and it was WAY too big. Like, dragging the floor, hanging off him big. He approached the groom's mother (he didn't want to bother the groom), who had been in charge of acquiring the tuxes. She told him he was on his own. So we spent the morning of the wedding, after a um, late night for the groomsmen, driving four hours back and forth to get the right tux.

Husband was happy to do it for his friend but he was hella pissed at the groom's mom for not even acting like she cared.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      .... He approached the groom's mother (he didn't want to bother the groom), who had been in charge of acquiring the tuxes. She told him he was on his own. So we spent the morning of the wedding, after a um, late night for the groomsmen, driving four hours back and forth to get the right tux.

Husband was happy to do it for his friend but he was hella pissed at the groom's mom for not even acting like she cared.
                      Have you seen the memes going around: "You had just one job to do. ONE." Groom's mom was a bitch.
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                      X