This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Mom: You did nothing wrong.

I'm 42 years old, and my mother still asks me to fill out a Christmas list on Thanksgiving like a little boy because shut up. (A middle-aged man can be hard for a mum to shop for.)

Anywho, she told me that she couldn't find one of the presents on my list: SimCity 5. They've strangled most of the bugs out of it following its disastrous release, and I couldn't think of anything I wanted on my list apart from a couple of books and a kitchen toy, so I padded it with a few video games. It wasn't a priority; I wasn't going to get to any new games until I'd capped out on Warlords of Draenor, but I played crazy amounts of SimCity 4.

Apparently, my mother, whose last video gaming experience was Wizardry II thirty years ago, had the misfortune to go into a shop with a clueless proprietor not long after the release of The Sims 4. From the way she related it, it sounded as if the clerk confused SimCity 5 with The Sims 4.

According to Mum, the clerk was adamant that SimCity 5 didn't exist yet, despite the headline-making previously-cited disastrous release. Since I went to Gamestop a couple of times during the shopping season and took note of the massive Sims 4 displays, I realized that the clerk was trying to sell Mum on a copy of The Sims 4, insisting that that's what I MUST have meant, despite the heavy documentation I supplied my mum (and she supplied the clerk) that what I was looking for was SimCity 5.

I can't word-for-word the narrative, but I'm convinced, the way that my mother described it, that the clerk either confused those two EA Games (leaving my mother wondering whether she was the one who was confused) or was thinking that no one would be dumb enough to buy a copy of SimCity 5 and I must have meant something else and the poor senior citizen standing in front of her was just all a-fuddle and he was trying to save me from a disastrous mistake on her part. For the record: my Mum does not fuddle.

I've had a little experience with game store clerks treating older players like the March of the Clueless in the past, and I'm actually starting to drift into that age myself. I find that it helps to orate knowledgeably about gaming prior to asking any questions, the better to get shop managers to take me seriously. As a followup, I might find out what store she used - probably that crappy one near the University, with all the shopping centers around - and buy all my games online henceforth.

Might want to call, speak to a manager and politely relate your mom's experience. Manager needs to know that at least one of his or her employees doesn't know what they're talking about.

And, 42? Middle-aged? Nope!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
      I've had a little experience with game store clerks treating older players like the March of the Clueless in the past, and I'm actually starting to drift into that age myself. I find that it helps to orate knowledgeably about gaming prior to asking any questions, the better to get shop managers to take me seriously. As a followup, I might find out what store she used - probably that crappy one near the University, with all the shopping centers around - and buy all my games online henceforth.
      I find that gamer clerks are a subset of gamers. And gamers in general have a bad habit of being familiar with the things that THEY like and thinking the rest is crap. Which is somewhat understandable I guess when you consider that the videogame industry just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Since it's an EA game there's always the option of buying/downloading off their own website...

Also... EA's fault for naming "SimCity 5" as just "SimCity"... because they marketing department says reboots are in!

Oddly enough, my streaming music selected a SimCity4 track to play (jazzy) while writing this.
      Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

I still play SimCity 3000 when I can. I never really felt the need to advance, because I still haven't beaten it long-term.

The Sims aren't happy even with a 1% tax rate. After a few hundred years they want to live free.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

you think that's bad? Try going up to 20 something year old manning the register at a pawn shop & asking for a Colecovision game system, talk about BSOD
          "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
            you think that's bad? Try going up to 20 something year old manning the register at a pawn shop & asking for a Colecovision game system, talk about BSOD
            I've gone through 3 or 4 ColecoVisions. They keep breaking! Or if not the console, the controller breaks (worst controller ever!).
            Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
              Try going up to 20 something year old manning the register at a pawn shop & asking for a Colecovision game system, talk about BSOD
              Younguns like that wouldn't know a Colecovision from Adam's off ox.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Younguns like that wouldn't know a Colecovision from Adam's off ox.
                Offox? Is that anything like an offog? Or an Allamagoosa?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Nope (note the space). It's my understanding that "off ox" refers to one (can't recall if it's left or right) in a yoked pair. Again, it's my understanding that "Wouldn't know X from Adam's off ox" refers to someone being completely ignorant about something - I chose that phrase (note boldface) because Coleco's home computer system that was (somewhat) compatible with Colecovision was called Adam.

As for the story you referred to, did you notice the foreshadowing (playing on the stereotype of chefs blurting out something nonsensical in French when they're annoyed) when the cook is asked about the "offog", since the list shows it as installed in the kitchen? He blurts out "Nom d'un chien", which has a literal translation of "name of a dog".
                  Last edited by wolfie; 12-28-2014, 02:21 PM. Reason: Added comment
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                    I've had a little experience with game store clerks treating older players like the March of the Clueless in the past, and I'm actually starting to drift into that age myself.
                    Try being that age and female.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My mother usually has me make up a gift list come Christmas. Books, video games, and movies aren't usually too hard to find. Models, on the other hand, can be. Especially if you, like my mom, aren't familiar with what an EMD GP7 or a 1960 MGA actually look like. So I'll provide her with pictures, or where they can be found at the local hobby shop.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X