This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was a slight SC

My daughters and I took a trip downtown yesterday to check out the Christmas displays and little one had some money to spend. One of our stops was a book store inside of Macy's. I found these small math workbooks on multiplication for my younger daughter and all the books on the display were marked $1.00 so I was "Bonus" and grabbed one for her grade level. Well, the one I grabbed didn't have a sticker, and I didn't notice until I got to the register but I figured (hoped) the girls at the register would know because the display was rather large and they might know their product.

First off, the 2 women that were working were chit chatting with their backs to us as we walked to their counter (there were about 7 customers in the book section and they never came over to help anyone as I have seen before) and I set the book on the counter. They slooooly turn to me and the one who was working the register looks at her co worker and says "hey, how much?" (never scanned it)

Worker1 : (never greeted us, said anything) "Hey, how much is this?"
    Worker 2 : (ignoring us) mumbles
    Worker 1: *rings it in manually, looks at me "That will be $2.12
    Me: Ummm, the whole display is marked as $1.00 on all the other books
    Worker 2: (never looking at me, but to co worker) : I really don't know, I was just guessing
    Worker 1: (to co worker, ignoring me) : It sounds right to me, but I don't know

Now, at this point, I could have walked to the display and grabbed one of the same books but I was pissed at being ignored and their complete lack of caring

Me: (putting wallet away) Well while you ladies dither and talk among yourselves, I am leaving.

I did not yell, but my tone was considerably snarky and yes I caused them to have a void and have to put back my unwanted purchase but their apathy just pissed me the hell off.

OK, I know we're not suppose to say "I fail to see the suck," but . . .

I fail to see the suck.

You didn't curse. You didn't demand free stuff. The clerk guessed at the price instead of scanning it, and over charged you, then wasn't willing to at least ask you to see if there was a copy with a price tag on the table (I've always been willing to do that, especially if the store is busy).

You got frustrated and left.

I fail to see the suck.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

You fail at sucking! :-)
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

You did absolutely nothing wrong, rr. Like SS said, you got frustrated and left. And did it in a much quieter manner than I would have...but then I'm known to get loud when dealing with what those clerks were doing. If more people reacted like you I would gladly go back to working retail!

Comment

You got this totally the wrong way around. It was them who sucked, not you. You shouldn't doubt yourself, you are allowed to walk away or let people know they are giving bad service. The ones who suck are the ones who get overly angry or needlessly rude, and you didn't do that.

Comment

Thanks..I am sensitive to how I treat all retail workers because I was in the trenches for more years than I care to admit to, and walking away during a sale seemed sucky on my part but they were just so..uninterested.

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
              Thanks..I am sensitive to how I treat all retail workers because I was in the trenches for more years than I care to admit to, and walking away during a sale seemed sucky on my part but they were just so..uninterested.
              I'm still in the trenches, and that's not an acceptable way to deal with a customer.

It's employees like those two that make it easy for people to decide retail workers are lazy and rude, that retail isn't a real job, and so on.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Sorry you got the slacker variety of salesclerk, but very glad you're feeling better, and hoping the plague at your workplace has run its course.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Thanks, I am feeling better health wise and altho a few people are experiencing it, it seems to have settled. It is going through our fair city pretty good, and our county is leading the state in flu cases so I guess that's the next plague to hit

Comment

Arg. I could never, would never do this to someone! Couldn't, because I'd be in trouble immediately, and wouldn't because it's just rude and that's not who I am.

There are a couple chatters at my work, but they will talk to anyone, not just each other. They cause problems because they will cheerfully help one person for an hour, while we're super busy and short staffed. I've actually heard a customer tell one of them "I can see you're busy, I can figure it out don't worry!" And the coworker insisted on helping - for 20 minutes, while I worked the counter by myself. We occasionally get an apathetic stocker, (someone not trained for cashiering or cutting counter) who don't think they have to do customer service at all. They might just say they don't know, instead of asking or even directing them to someone who could help. The tend not to last long.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                    X