Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have to scratch your own scratch tickets!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to scratch your own scratch tickets!

On my way in to work this morning, I was forced to stop for gas as my range indicator had just dropped to 1 mile. Since I was stopping anyway, I decided to go in and grab a fountain soda. That won't take long, right?

Ha! This site wouldn't exist of that was the case!

I poured the soda and got in line. There were only two people ahead of me and one cashier at the moment. But the guy at the head of the line was taking forever, and I could tell the cashier was getting frustrated.

Eventually, she scanned in several $2 and $3 winning scratch tickets.

Cashier: *hands over winnings* Anything else sir?

SC: Pack of Marlboros.

*Cashier fetches cigarettes*

SC: Actually, can I have two?

*Cashier goes back for another pack*

Cashier: Ok that'll be $xx.xx *takes back winnings and gives change for cigarettes*

SC: Ok now can I get $50 on pump 2?

*Cashier looks murderous as a second employee arrives for backup*

The guy finally left just as I paid for my soda, whereupon I discovered what the initial problem had been. All those scratch tickets he had were UNSCRATCHED! I'm guessing they were a Christmas stocking stuffer, and for whatever silly reason he was too lazy to scratch them and just wanted the cashier to scan them all to check for winners.

As has been previously documented on this site, you simply can not do that. In Massachusetts, you are not permitted to scan losing scratch tickets. Attempting to do so will cause the lottery machine to issue a warning, and a second attempt will incur a "check code penalty" whereby you'll have to manually enter a 3-digit check code for EVERY ticket you scan. Continuing to scan losing tickets will draw the attention of the state lottery commission. This is to prevent someone from fraudulently scanning through a book of unbought scratch tickets, claiming the money, and leaving the unbought (yet claimed) winners in the book with the losers.

So apparently he decided to scratch them at the counter and forced everyone else to wait. He did win a total of $20 so I guess for him it was worth it, but he was driving the cashier nuts and needlessly delaying everyone else trying to get their morning joe before work.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.
Working...
X