This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uuuuuugggggggghhhhh......

Yesterday, I was out and about. I visited a farmers market (first of the year). I walked quite a bit. Got some bank-related things done.

Then came Last Night.

Much of it was spent in the bathroom, due to something I ate. I hate, I absolutely HATE, throwing up, but that's what happened. The first time in many years, though it can never be too many.

Now I'm wondering, what did it? I made soda bread last night (St. Patrick's Day arriving and all), and it tasted fine. I stopped eating wheat (with a few lapses here and there) towards the end of last year, so I used spelt flour instead. I had turkey, which was bought, cooked, and partially eaten on Friday night, and I was fine then. I don't know if I should keep the rest of the bread, or throw it out - could it be an intolerance to spelt?

Spelt is NOT safe for people with celiacs. I found that out from a gluten free bakery. They had a whole section of gluten free that was marked not safe for celiacs. I asked why and they warned me not to eat spelt.

Comment

No, I know it's not, but I'm not a celiac sufferer. I just decided to stop eating wheat, due to the way it's grown these days.

A friend who owns a restaurant thinks that it's the nachos I ate earlier yesterday. They had fresh salsa on them. I'm inclined to believe that he's right.

Comment

Any chance you're coming down with the flu or something similar?

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
          I had turkey, which was bought, cooked, and partially eaten on Friday night, and I was fine then.
          Have you eaten any of the turkey since then?

While some food poisoning usually takes from 2-6 hours to appear, some forms can take a day or so to show up.

I would be more suspect of the turkey, if that's the case.
          Was it left at room temperature for more than 2 hours?
          Did it reach a temperature of less than 140F?

The salsa could also be the cause, especially if it wasn't prepared in a hygienic environment. The cook may not have washed his hands properly. There could have been cross contamination from a knife or prep surface.

The last thing I would be concerned about is the spelt, since you say you can tolerate normal wheat and do not have Celiac Disease or wheat intolerance.
          Spelt and regular wheat do both contain gluten, so it is not recommended for anyone with CD, but spelt has a different genetic makeup so many people who can't tolerate regular wheat have a better result with spelt.

You may have picked up a bug somewhere, too.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

No, there's no way I'd eat any of the turkey now, even if there was any left.

I bought it, brought it home, and put it in the fridge until I was ready to cook it. I'm sure (it was just a boneless, skinless turkey breast) that it reached a sufficiently high temperature; it was overcooked, not undercooked.

As for the salsa, it came from a food stand. I don't know when it was made, and of course, I didn't watch as it was made. I hadn't thought of cross-contamination, but that sounds plausible.

Comment

Knowing more about the salsa that's the one I have my mind on as the culprit. I had one of my customers ask if I could come back to her place after work cause she made me some special low heat, low salt salsa. She wanted to keep it cold and knew it would get to warm in my truck and said she didn't want the tomatoes to go bad. Apparently cut and mixed like that make them go rotten fast.

Comment

Working...
              X