This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth rvdammit View Post
    Or its his stash for when he has low blood sugar.
    Possible. Type 2 diabetics generally have to keep their glucose level from crashing down as opposed to Type 1, who have to worry about it getting too high.

Of course, there are times where it can get too high for a Type 2 to deal with, and then the "fun" begins.

Imagine having being woken up in the middle of the night to find your mom dizzy on her bed, saying that everything's spinning after she had eaten too much watermelon and then checked her sugar, saw it too high and took a dose of insulin and everything went wacky.

911 is your friend in those situations, Thank Dog.

And my Mom wonders why I've not brought another watermelon in the house for the last 2 summers (going on 3.)
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      OT: I love* you.

*disclaimer-declaration of love is non-binding, and only meant in a non-creepy, non-stalkerish, totally platonic, partially humorous, expression of appreciation for a fellow human.
      I adore this disclaimer!
      Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story who you choose to be. So who are you? - Kung Fu Panda 2

Comment

I have brought condoms and pregnancy tests at the same time. I think it's a strange combo. lol.

Comment

Just a quick note that when I was taking diabetic meds I would have sugary soda on hand in case my blood sugar went too low. (I also had and still have a tin full of life savers in my car.)

Comment

SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES
            Settle down, class ^_^

(Pre-)diabetic Type 2 here (Metformin only *crosses fingers*), myself. My dietician's way of putting it was basically to keep track of my total carb intake, regardless of source, which came with the overt instruction to eat fewer of them on my more sedentary days. My main issue with exercising it off is that I have an injured back, which (especially in the last 6 months or so), has made walking more than a couple hundred feet at a time actively painful.

And yeah, insulin-dependent diabetics have it rough, whether they are t1 or t2 -- You gotta keep your sugar from going too high, and keep it from going too low (whether due to a badly-timed insulin dose, an overdose, or just not eating when you should). An extreme in either direction screws you up big time. Just out of curiosity -- I know to smell a diabetic's breath if their sugar appears to be off. What scents are associated with high sugar and which with low? I know that "nail polish" scent and "fruit" scent are both bad, but I dunno which is associated with which extreme....it's been years since I was around someone with this issue.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I know that "nail polish" scent and "fruit" scent are both bad, but I dunno which is associated with which extreme....it's been years since I was around someone with this issue.
              The "fruit" smell is caused by ketones, which are associated with high blood sugar. (They're also associated with carbohydrate deprivation, as well as alcohol intoxication, so you should never panic and start injecting insulin!) That would leave the "nail polish" scent to be too far on the low side.
              Last edited by TheSHAD0W; 09-14-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                My main issue with exercising it off is that I have an injured back, which (especially in the last 6 months or so), has made walking more than a couple hundred feet at a time actively painful.
                Collapsing arches in my feet and bad back from being too busty. I really do feel your pain. That being said, have you tried swimming or water aerobics? The water takes a lot of your weight as long as you stay chest-high, so I've found that it doesn't leave me whimpering in a corner of the changing rooms when I'm done.

That reminds me, I really ought to find another class now the one at the local pool has shut down...
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth minkysmom View Post
                  I have brought condoms and pregnancy tests at the same time. I think it's a strange combo. lol.
                  I've bought birth control and pregnancy tests together too. In my case it was after I miscarried and my OB/GYN said I should wait at least three monthly cycles before trying to get pregnant again. Evidently there is a higher probability of miscarrying within the first three months after a miscarriage.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

My daughter is a type one and when she was younger and would go low, shoving a coke down her throat was the only way we could get her to have any sugar. If you've ever seen a glucose low, you'd know how scary it can be, you do whatever you can to get that into them.

He could have also been buying it for a family, just because he is alone doesn't mean he is 'alone' lol.
                    DA| Youtube|Twitter

Comment

greek - Been looking into it. I'm in what's considered a semi-rural city (25K population); only places I've found so far without requiring an hour's drive are a local country club and the Y -- both of which are $40 a month (no discount option for pool-only access), which is pushing it a bit on my current budget. It's been looking more and more appealing because of the recent shift in my back issues. A year ago, I could walk all the way around the block with a large dog 'pulling' me before I began to feel it. Now? End of the block, no dog, and I gotta lean on the stop signpost when I get there. Me, dude with a *ahem* Gamer-esque build; I sat on a defective chair in 2010 (which, as it turns out, was put there intentionally by my now-former boss), plus a car accident in 2013 which hit me with 6 degenerated vertebrae (3 in neck to go with my almost-backwards-curved neck I already had; 3 at base of spine). Fun fun

Sly - My dad was pills-only at first but didn't take care of himself, so he progressed into insulin-dependency. While he occasionally allowed his sugar to get too low, letting it get too high was more frequently an issue. Neither one was exactly fun to deal with. Having seen that happen to him is part of what inspires me to keep my own DB under control. I really don't wanna end up on the needle.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 09-09-2015, 07:43 PM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X