Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's terrible. Your chili sounded so good, as you described it. I guess the "judges" didn't like flavor.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Sorry about the girl, Jester. I'm confused. I thought she knew you were interested. You'd think sometime in the past conversations (I know there weren't that many), she would've mentioned a BF.
      I'm confused too, as I also thought she not only knew I was interested, but was herself interested. Clearly I was mistaken.

And apparently any interest there might have been seems to be completely gone, as I have yet to get a response to a generic friendly text I sent her earlier this evening. Though I guess she might be working. Ah, well. Fuck it. Not that it matters. Since, as stated, she has a boyfriend.

Quoth Eisa View Post
      Well, that sounds like a shitty day.
      A veritable trifecta of shittiness.

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
      That's terrible. Your chili sounded so good, as you described it. I guess the "judges" didn't like flavor.
      My chili sounds good because it IS good. And that's not merely my own clearly biased opinion, but that of pretty much the vast majority of people who have tried it. Hell, I had a couple virtually beg me to make a batch for their going away party!

And again, I don't really have a problem with not winning, or even not placing, if the other dishes are better or even really good. Two of the three that placed simply weren't all that good or flavorful, and the one that won, in my personal opinion, was downright BORING. And even a bit....odd.

But while the (not single) girl and the (suckass) football team did get me down, the (kickass) chili did not. It only got me mad, and more determined then ever to continue to compete in chili cookoffs, possibly even on a larger stage than just locally, and to kick some chili ass. Towards that end, I shall in a short time be writing to one of the organizations that sponsor chili cookoffs to pose some questions and find out if my competing is even feasible. For example, if we have to do all the prep on site, i.e., chopping everything up, within a certain time frame, I have don't have much of a chance. If, however, we can pre-prep and the time is more for the cooking aspect, then I think I might make the leap.

We'll see.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Couple suggestions for the chili---There are some wicked hot varieties of curry. Have you considered trying a couple? It would add a slightly exotic flavor and heat at the same time.
        As for heat, have you considered pure capsacin extract? It's distilled capsacin (the part of a pepper that makes it HOT) and is more concentrated then the actual chili peppers. Finally, maybe add a couple of different types of hot peppers, not just the ghost chilies (I hear Thai red and green chilies are SERIOUSLY spicy.) Been watching a lot of Man v. Food lately, and he eats a lot of spicy food challenges, so thought I would toss them in. Another thing I saw on the show--blend up all the hot ingredients in your chili into a base and just let them marinate for a few days together. I hear that REALLY concentrates the spice.

Comment

Barracuda, while I have considered curry, that is not a flavor I want in my chili, so I have rejected the idea.

As for straight capsacin or extracts, I have also rejected the idea, as it is a matter of personal pride for me to get any and all spices organically, either through actual peppers or "normal" dry spices, such as cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, black pepper, white pepper, etc. I could of course use extracts, but I want the chili to be both spicy AND flavorful.

As for a variety of peppers, I DO use a variety of peppers in both my chilies. Since you seem to be addressing the Devil's Ass Chili more, I should tell you that in that chili I use red bell pepper, poblano, jalapeno, serrano, chipotle, habanero, and ghost pepper, in addition to dry spice peppers such as white pepper, black pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, etc.

And I do exactly what you suggested, with both my chilis....after I sautee the onions, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes together, I stick blend them, after which I add the meats and seasonings, and after that, after simmering for a few hours, I let them chill in the fridge for a few days.

Thanks for the ideas, but to be honest, already on it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
          X