This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably not the best choices

Was at a gas station, waiting to pay. The guy in front of me was buying a bunch of stuff from the convenience store, including a 1 litre regular Coke. As the cashier was ringing him up, she asked if he needed anything else. His answer: "Oh yes, I need a cup of ice. My cooler died, and I need to keep my insulin cold". Note my description of what he was buying.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Was at a gas station, waiting to pay. The guy in front of me was buying a bunch of stuff from the convenience store, including a 1 litre regular Coke. As the cashier was ringing him up, she asked if he needed anything else. His answer: "Oh yes, I need a cup of ice. My cooler died, and I need to keep my insulin cold". Note my description of what he was buying.
    Well, yeah, not the best thing to drink. I have had Coke Zero, which has no carbs in it, but very rarely, and I don't drink the regular stuff anymore. But hey, he's a big boy, if he wants to blow up his glucose, that's his call.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

There is the chance that he was buying the fully leaded Coke for a party and didn't plan to drink any himself......but probably not.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Or its his stash for when he has low blood sugar.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

I think Snickers would be better for that considering the simple and complex sugars involved.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

It's amazing what you see people buy. I cannot tell how many times I have had women buy a pregnancy test, a bottle of booze, and cigarettes. I'm not judging, maybe the booze and cigarettes are for if the test is negative, but jeez. Then there's the ones like my diabetic husband who hit all the after-holiday clearance sales to buy up the candy. Really dude? Wonder why you're diabetic??

Comment

Years ago, the swamp would mark down all its remaining Easter merchandise on Easter Sunday.

So then after church let out that morning, people would be pouring in to buy the big, pre-made Easter baskets at reduced prices.

I'm told one year there were two people fighting over one of the damn things. Fun.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                It's amazing what you see people buy. I cannot tell how many times I have had women buy a pregnancy test, a bottle of booze, and cigarettes. I'm not judging, maybe the booze and cigarettes are for if the test is negative, but jeez. Then there's the ones like my diabetic husband who hit all the after-holiday clearance sales to buy up the candy. Really dude? Wonder why you're diabetic??
                *sigh* Sugar is not evil, and if one allows for the portion one *can* eat candy within reason. Hell, both my endo and diabetic nutritionist have told me that I am allowed 180 random calories a day that is not specified on my chart - if I really want to grab a spoon and bag of sugar and dig in [for 180 cal worth] I am perfectly able to. <I would much rather have one of the 100 cal packs of potato chips, for that grease and salt jones I have.>

And SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES. How many times does science have to try to slam this into peoples heads? If you are FAT you have an increased chance of becoming diabetic [and frequently one can halt it in its little diabetic tracks by losing the weight and starting an exercise program] One can be *born* diabetic [type one] or one can become diabetic [type two] through a number of things - but simply overdosing on sugar is not one of the ways - you can tuck into a pound of chocolate a day, IF YOU DO THE AMOUNT OF EXERCISE TO BURN IT RIGHT OFF.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  I think Snickers would be better for that considering the simple and complex sugars involved.
                  The thing about very low blood sugar is that you often can't swallow properly. My mum's only dropped very low twice, and the first time we tried a square of chocolate on her tongue that she just couldn't swallow. We ended up running to the shop and getting some Lucozade, which she could at least sip gently until her blood sugar started to come back up. She now always has a bottle of Lucozade in her bag when she goes out, just in case.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    And SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES. How many times does science have to try to slam this into peoples heads?
                    where's the like button?

OT: I love* you.

*disclaimer-declaration of love is non-binding, and only meant in a non-creepy, non-stalkerish, totally platonic, partially humorous, expression of appreciation for a fellow human.
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

The Coke could also have been for practical use. It makes a good cleaner for things like rusty tools.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        where's the like button?
                        I'm on another message board that recently switched to a new platform that features a like button. I love it!

Comment

The sugary beverage could have been for his SO, or he could have the type of diabetes where a little sugar (small cup of the soda) if taken with a meal doesn't hurt. Or as someone else said, could have been for cleaning. A can of coke in the washing machine gets greasy stains out of clothes like nothing else. Soaking in coke can even get out motor oil.
                          Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 04-10-2015, 05:23 AM.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

And SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES.

You are absolutely correct. I did not mean to imply that sugar causes diabetes. However, if you are diabetic, you should be watching your sugar intake. Unlike my husband, who will go through an entire 19.75 ounce bag of candy in one 24 hour period.
                            Last edited by EricKei; 09-07-2015, 03:47 AM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

And SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES.
                              Perhaps not, but a diet high in sugar and fat and low in nutrition is going to contribute to increased weight which will up your chance of diabetes. And when your pancreas has trouble regulating the amount of glucose floating around in your blood, bad things happen. Ever see a non-healing diabetic foot ulcer? They're nasty. Sugar is one of those things everyone should only have in moderation* but especially those whose bodies can't process it well.

*I say as I can eat a whole bag of Double Stuff Oreos in one sitting. I try not to do that often, lol.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X