This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I related to her?

Well, I got a sightings, and of my own sister, no less.

Did you know that everything had to be transferred from one buggy to another during the checkout process at Sam's Club? It's not posted ANYWHERE on the registers or receipts or anywhere else that a customer could reasonably find it. This particular store rarely seems to use it, because I'd never been told to transfer anything heavy to the belt or another buggy before. The only reason I knew anything about it was because I had a friend who worked at one a decade ago tell me at the time he worked there. That's IT.

Well, my sister had several heavy things, things she had problems lifting into the buggy. The cashier insists they all need to go onto the belt, so my sister snaps. When she snaps it isn't pretty, because it's rather like the tantrum a four year old throws when they're sleepy and don't get their way. That's when the cashier finally says she can just scan the items and transfer them to the buggy herself. Oh and neither side said "please," at any time. By the time the cashier said she could do it herself after all, my sister had most of the items up on the belt. Sister is griping, cashier is thunderheads, and I'm trying to figure out how to breathe.

I'm up next, get told the same thing.. except I look at the cashier and wheeze, "I cannot lift this thing again right now. Could you please?" It's a freaking 40lbs bag of cat litter, which I had no trouble sliding off the pile into the buggy, but thanks to the high humidity and heat in the store, my asthma was giving me warning signs and I was pale.

I try to be cheerful, so the cashier just keeps her mouth SHUT, and puts the cat litter in the buggy seat.* So, I ask, "Could you please move that into the buggy proper? I have bread stuff that I'd rather have in there to keep from squishing it." She grumbles but does move it. At this point, I'm out of sorts with both cashier and sister. But I keep my cool. I don't exactly have much choice.

After I finish, I was able to get a drink, which allowed me to get my breathing back under some control and started reading my sister the riot act. The cashier behind us at the soda fountains heard me. "Yes, this is corporate policy. Don't take that out on the cashier. Just complain to corporate about their stupid policy. It looks like the store manager has been riding their butts about it, so give the proper people hell."

And I got to hear all about it in the way home, so she got lectured on it all the way home too. I did ask for clarification on the Sam's Club FB page.. but I don't expect an answer.

*Why the hell did she put the cat litter in the buggy seat? I'll chalk it up to rattled nerves. Oh, and my sister helped me get it into her vehicle. Then had me sit down after I'd unloaded my light stuff and had the a/c turned up high and blowing. Because stupid me.. I left my inhaler at home!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

My sister has explained to me why I'm a failure. Because SHE has a healthy, high-earning husband (rather than one who is totally unable to work in the process of being paralyzed from a spinal column that's growing together) and hasn't had her house burn to the ground, she thinks those aren't valid reasons for us to not make over $75,000 per year. Just because you're related doesn't mean you have to be all lovey-dovey.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

she thinks those aren't valid reasons for us to not make over $75,000 per year.
      Why is it any of her business??

Ugh. Relatives.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In this case i'd rate the cashier as sucky. All the warehouse clubs have this rule, it makes the checkouts move faster. Heck, Aldis does this too for the same reason. That said, all of them will either offer to help you move heavy items from cart to belt, do it when asked, or simply reuse the same cart, you just have to adapt.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I kinda agree that it was the cashier, but I will tell you I have never heard of such a rule. The only warehouse store I've shopped at is Costco, and NO large items (toilet paper, dog food, etc) go on the belt. Not saying there isn't some kind of rule, only that I have never seen large items on the belt.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I would not, as a cashier, insist they go on the belt because I can't lift them either. That's what hand-scanners are for.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              I kinda agree that it was the cashier, but I will tell you I have never heard of such a rule. The only warehouse store I've shopped at is Costco, and NO large items (toilet paper, dog food, etc) go on the belt. Not saying there isn't some kind of rule, only that I have never seen large items on the belt.
              Costcos I've been to actually request that large/heavy items be left in the cart, which I'm happy to do, both for my benefit and for the cashier's (I'm sure the company would rather not be paying worker's comp from repetitive motion injuries from lifting the heavy stuff all day).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                My sister has explained to me why I'm a failure. Because SHE has a healthy, high-earning husband (rather than one who is totally unable to work in the process of being paralyzed from a spinal column that's growing together) and hasn't had her house burn to the ground, she thinks those aren't valid reasons for us to not make over $75,000 per year. Just because you're related doesn't mean you have to be all lovey-dovey.
                wait, did i get a gender reassignment op and not notice it? spinal stenosis and my house got torched back on the 10th .... though i am female [for which my husband seems happy] and Rob has a job he likes ...
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I asked via their facbook page. Gave my contact info as they requested.. and got told it's being kicked up to upper management.

My family is already taking bets that given corporate "logic," I'll get a gift card and no real answer. We all know that a customer asking a question for policy clarification is an angry customer! Not that I'm angry. I just think the policy is silly when applied to heavy items and decided to take it up with the people that can do something about it. Not that I have any faith that they will!
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

At my local costco all i had to do was push my cart up to the belt and someone unloaded it for me and repacked it in the same cart at the other end.

Comment

Speaking as a former wholesale club employee, this is absolutely on the cashier. At my store, big items we encouraged customers to leave in the cart, and we'd use our scanner-guns to scan them, then swap the empty cart we normally load into for the customer's cart with their big items.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

See, that's normally what happens, Jay. I've never seen this at this particular store. Oh, sure the light things go on the belt, but to even bother moving the heavier items? I was surprised she didn't demand that I put it on the belt.. which would absolutely not have happened at that time.

When I cashiered, I asked that all heavy or awkward items be left in the buggy.. because hand scanner. Mine was tethered to the register, but still, it could reach the items with the buggy on my side of the register. With these wireless ones, there is no excuse for lifting anything weight more than 10lbs. I've opened coolers, left lids off of stuff that can be lidded, just to make the cashier's life easier. Not to mention my life. It's a win/win.

Annnnnddddd no response yet. Not surprising. This simple question apparently requires an in depth investigation into the inner workings of the corporation. Either that or they don't know the answer either.

Comment

As I take care about rental, we usually lift and carry everything to customers car or trailer. Once my ex-cw was getting something for himself, and stayed chatting with me (slow morning was it) when a woman came for lawnroller. So I told her to move her car closer and I'd lift the roller to trailer. My ex-cw was standing close and this lady was stunned to see a young strong guy (whom she tought was still a worker there I suppose) standing there doing nothing when little weak me (me weak? Hah!! optical illusion) set a not-so-heavy-but-quite-big thing in trailer for her.

Comment

As a current warehouse employee myself, management seems to go through periods of time where they will allow heavy items to remain on the cart/flatbed/whatever -- heavy things like cat litter, dog food, and such. Then someone will steal something that is in the high dollar range and then there would be a long period of time where everything and anything has to be moved.

Does it suck? Yes, but unfortunately it boils down to someone ruining it for everyone else [stealing something]. Thank goodness I don't work the front end anymore.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Soooo... an update of a sort. Got a call from the local store about a corporate policy. Which I made specifically clear when I posted about it. I don't know who was more amused, me or the store manager. It's not like the store manager can do anything about corporate policy!
                              Last edited by raudf; 08-29-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X