This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I've been stealing from you for YEARS now!"

At the Store, we sell freshly-made salads in the deli department, which the deli clerks put together from scratch in the morning. They're pretty inexpensive at just under $3 for an entrée-sized serving, and they come in all your standard varieties - Caesar, chef salad, Italian salad, Cobb, krab louie, all-veggie, and so forth.

They don't come with dressing, though. We sell dressing packets separately for 38 cents each. Honestly, I prefer this approach to the way most stores package their salads - one packet is never enough to get a good coating of dressing, and this way you have the liberty to decide exactly how much dressing you want, and what kind you want.

Anyway, I'm running the front end this weekend, which is unusually hectic for this late in the month because there's a state high school athletics championship happening at the Big Sports Place just down the road, and all the nearby hotels are packed with teenagers who wind up here in search of snack food. In the midst of this, the self-checkout clerk pages for the store manager. He had just left the building a few minutes ago, and the only other supervisor on duty was on lunch, which meant that at that particular moment I was the person in charge of the Store, so I make my way over to his terminal to ask what he needs.

Me: What's up, SCO?
    SCO: This C is upset about the price on the dressing packets and he wants to talk to the manager.

I step over to the terminal where the customer is waiting.

Me: How can I help you?
    SC: Are you the manager?
    Me: I'm the person in charge right now. The manager has already left for the day.
    SC: Oh, how convienient. (You could taste the sarcasm dripping from his mouth at this point.)
    Me: Can I help you with something?
    SC: Can you tell me why this cashier is demanding I pay for these salad dressing packets?
    Me: ...We charge for those, sir. They're 38 cents each.
    SC: Well, who the would ever buy a salad without dressing?
    Me: I can't answer that question, sir, but we do charge for the dressing packets.
    SC: I've been coming here for years, I buy these salads almost every day, and I've never paid for these! Why do you suddenly want me to pay for them now?
    Me: ...Well, you should have been paying for them, sir. This is how it's been since the Store opened. (I actually have worked at this location since opening day, so I can say that with authority.)
    SC: Well, YOU JUST LOST A SALAD CUSTOMER! (he drops his bag and walks away, and I have to fight the urge to say "see you tomorrow" as he storms out)

I really don't even. Was this guy just so self-entitled that he believed he ought to have free dressing regardless of the posted price for the packets, or was he just so totally oblivious that he didn't realize he'd been stealing for years and years? I've never been inside a supermarket where it was just assumed that salad dressing was free - either it's a salad bar deal where you pay by weight, or the dressing is included in the package if it's meant to be complimentary. He was just so cavalier in declaring that he'd effectively shoplifted from us hundreds of times that either he never actually realized what he was doing, or he had the biggest balls of any thief I've ever encountered at the Store.

I kinda wish that LP had caught him stealing dressing packets instead of the SCO clerk, but they'd probably just have let him off anyway because researching the number of dressing packets he'd stolen from us over the years would probably take more time and effort than the money we'd be able to recover from him.
    Last edited by Smapti; 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM.

Maybe he really does shop at your store a lot. In my experience, though, the people that shoot off the "I shop here all the time" line rarely shop my store, and probably never before. I had a guy expect extra special service once that claimed to shop at our store ALL the time. I know that I had never seen him before, but maybe he works nights and always came in during the day. He was a jerk, and I just wanted him gone. He didn't have a Rewards card something most of the regulars have. He came back the next day to return the bulk of his purchases from the day prior and his information was not listed as having ever been a customer of the Green Shamrock. It is almost impossible to be a regular at an auto parts chain and never returned anything before or ordered a non-stocking part from the warehouse. I've never seen "Shops Here ALL the Time" since, either.

Comment

Who buys a salad without dressing? Someone who eats it at home, and has planned ahead by buying a bottle of dressing that they keep in the fridge.

Metro (supermarket chain in my area) sells prepared salads, and their policy is that a small salad gets 1 dressing packet free, a large one gets 2 free, and you pay for any extras.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My husband is one of those crazy people that eats a dressing free salad. He will grab a head of iceburg lettuce and just start tearing off leaves and eating them. It's a little freaky to watch.

I've finally switched from drowning my salad in dressing to just a light coating.

Comment

Wolfie, most of the ones around here do pretty much the same.

Smapti - Let your supervisors know about this "customer", maybe if they show again they can be asked to go and steal somewhere else...

Comment

I buy dressing free salad cuz I'd rather buy a cheap bottle separately and keep it ready in the fridge, ready for when we need it.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

You're one of the "plans ahead" people I was referring to. Of course, a lot of people don't plan ahead - remember what site we're on.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A lot of times at work, customers will express surprise that we actually charge for the little packets of crackers for their soup. I can't recall anyone acting all irate about it, but it's amazing how BAFFLED they are that they cost extra.

Comment

Another "who buys salad without dressing" answer. Someone who has a bunch of allergies/intolerances/dietary restrictions, that's who. They would make their own or buy a brand that they know they can eat. Sheesh. I do like how you replied, though. Because it doesn't matter, your store charges for the things in it. Just like at the fabric store, people wanting all sorts of fabric just thrown in for free. Pay for a remnant? Are you crazy? No, the store just gives away stuff randomly because you think we should.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I actually prefer salad without dressing, I love the flavours of the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sweet corn, olives and whatever else I add to it too much and don't need dressing. So yeah, I'm weird

Recently I started adding olive oil and balsamic vinegar together to get some good fats into my salad but mostly I would prefer it naked.

Comment

I prefer my salad without dressing, as well. And without lettuce. Or tomatoes, or olives....uhm. So. uh...yeah. I just don't like salad, period. I do like egg salad with some bacon, tho >_> Or tuna salad. Closest thing I'm likely to come to the stuff ever since some spoilsport informed me that smushed-up chocolate cake in a bowl with milk doesn't count as "salad" just because it has eggs, grains (flour), and oil in it.

Granted I know how to MAKE a mean salad from working at an Italian joint all those years ago, though...Decade and a half and I still remember. Lettuce, shredded mozarella, tomatoes, black olives, pepperoni slices, pinch of salt (that right there is WHY restaurant salads taste different, guys), Italian dressing on the side.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 02-20-2017, 08:38 PM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My salads are always naked because that's how I grew up eating them. Throw in some really weird food allergies and I really watch what I eat. The closest to salad dressing I get is a dash of lemon or lime juice.

But then again, I rarely cook with oil so why would I add it to salad? Mayo is gross and makes me puke and vinegar is a cleaning product. But malt vinegar is not an alcohol substitute. (Sorry I just had to. )

My favourite salad is probably lettuce, carrot, cheese, capsicum (peppers), baby spinach, beetroot and pineapple without any dressing. Unless I've added a piece of baked salmon, then it's either lemon or lime juice.
                        Second favourite is pomegranate, dried pawpaw, apple, goji berries, cranberries and quinoa with a dash of lemon juice drizzled on it.
                        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                          Smapti - Let your supervisors know about this "customer", maybe if they show again they can be asked to go and steal somewhere else...
                          I didn't even have to tell him myself - we'd done so much gossiping about it over the course of the evening that the boss had heard about it before I saw him the next day. He found it as mind-boggling and amusing as I did.

I'm really not looking forward to July, when our local plastic bag ban goes into effect and we have to start charging people 5 cents each for paper bags.

Comment

Further proof that some people should just be shot. Retail has made me so cynical.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                              I'm really not looking forward to July, when our local plastic bag ban goes into effect and we have to start charging people 5 cents each for paper bags.
                              My nearest shop got around (most) of the aggro for charging for bags by putting up a sign stating that "Law (from date) means we _have_ to charge 5p for bags. We are giving this money to *local charity* "

Obviously this didn't stop real dyed in the wool SCs, but it did shut up low level SCs.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X