This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never thought that "Limit One" was so tricky

BG: The deli section at our store sells a pack of 8 pieces of fried chicken and every week, without fail there is a store coupon for it. Quite a while back (about 6 months) they made the coupons limit one per order, though we are allowed to give the coupon price on 1 more at the cashier's discretion if the customer asks (we can't offer) before they pay.

Me:
    SC: Sucktomer
    SCW: Sucktomer's wife

The transaction went decently right until they paid and were going over the receipt, so I will spare you the boring details leading up to the suck.
    SCW: "Did we get the discounts on both chickens?"
    SC: "No"
    SC (now to me): "We didn't get the discount on both of our chicken"
    Me: "The coupon is limit one, and it did apply to one" (Even if it should have applied to both there is nothing that I could do about it, even if I wanted to)
    SC: "Well that isn't how it should work"
    Me: *retrieves coupon and shows them where it says "Limit one per order"* "See, it only should apply to one, and since it did, it worked fine"
    (Now the suck really starts, if they stopped here I would directed them to customer service and they would have got their money, but of course they decided to dig the hole deeper)
    SC (in the most condescending tone I have heard): "You must be new here"
    Me: "Yes, but I don't see how that matters"
    SC: "Well, what do you know then?"
    Me: "Well, I know that the coupon says "limit one""
    SC: "You are so rude!"
    SCW: "In the past it applied to both"
    Me: "Well the policy changed, it is limit one now"
    SC (tone continues): "See it used to apply to both"
    Me: "Used to, it doesn't anymore"
    SCW: "I should go report you to your manager"
    SC (to SCW): "We don't have time for that, we have to be home for (I couldn't understand)"
    SC (to me): "Next time don't be rude"
    Me: "Have a nice day"

This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". Also, if they were to go to the CSR on the floor (my supervisor) I think that they would be disappointed.

Also, for the customers who waited patiently while we tried to get our card processing back online, thanks
    Last edited by RegisterAce; 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM.

Quoth RegisterAce View Post
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego"..
    Whoa! Hey now, let's not wish that kind of pain on someone, even if they are a Sucktomer.

I mean, next time just mentally wish they'd die in a fire or something.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

You're WRONG!

I don't think so, but let me check...

I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WAIT, YOU ARE WRONG AND STUPID< GOODBYE!!!!

Yep, that's how it usually goes.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Ah, yes, one of the first things we all learn..."No" is ALWAYS automatically "rude," no matter how nicely it may be phrased.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

"Rude" doesn't mean what they think it does.

Comment

Stepping on Legos is for wimps. Let them step on jacks.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

A fellow D&D player IRL who is really into collecting dice recommends one of her latest acquisitions: solid metal d4's
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                ...solid metal d4's
                AKA: Operatic Caltrops, being fully full-figured.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Answering the thread title, a reasonable, sensible person such as yourself would NOT have trouble with such concepts as changing policy or that policies apply to ALL.

Thus, you do not have the "mental processes" of an SC.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I once had to explain what "online only" meant. It means online only. I couldn't think of another way of saying it. The person didn't get mad at me, I think she said "oh, okay."

You know how cartoon characters just blink vacantly, like on the Simpsons or Futurama? Yeah, like that.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth RegisterAce View Post
                      SC (in the most condescending tone I have heard): "You must be new here"
                      SC (tone continues): "See it used to apply to both"
                      Me: "Used to, it doesn't anymore"
                      As a checkout coach (front end supervisor, whatever your store of choice calls us), I'd agree with you, but corporate would make me give it to them regardless. Through gritting teeth, on my part.

However, the part I quoted... Been at my company, and my store, for eleven and a half years. I still get people I say "no" to ask that question, or claim they shop there all the time (if they did, I'd know them, and when they claim that I tend not to), or try to claim we used to do something... That we never have.

Retail, of all things, long ago destroyed what faith in humanity I once had.

Also, it made me hate holidays.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        Answering the thread title, a reasonable, sensible person such as yourself would NOT have trouble with such concepts as changing policy or that policies apply to ALL.

Thus, you do not have the "mental processes" of an SC.
                        Or the overwhelming entitlement...

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          I once had to explain what "online only" meant. It means online only.
                          I get this a lot with the word "terminals." A few larger cities with multiple stations have blanket tickets that will allow you to start/stop at a select group of stations; London, being the biggest city we have, has so many stations that the grouping is applied only to the terminals, i.e. where the various main lines into the city terminate - hence the name. So no, if you get a ticket from Oopnorth to London Terminals, it won't carry you further on to Southoftheriver.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            A fellow D&D player IRL who is really into collecting dice recommends one of her latest acquisitions: solid metal d4's
                            I believe those are manufactured in the Golden State, and the maker uses the naming convention applied to a lot of things (usually educational institutions and government departments) from that state. These dice are named Cal Trops.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

wolfie - That's just awesome A number of companies make metal dice such as those (e.g. Skull Splitter is one brand); I'd not heard of that one. I'll pass on the name to her; she's always in the market for new stuff. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X