Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EARTHRISE!!! I really meant earthrise. I think you got it because you are also older than dirt and have seen that picture so often that you instantly knew what I meant. I'll bet we managed to confuse some of the kids here, though.

It was Apollo 8 and they were orbiting the moon. They were on the "dark" side, so the film in their handheld cameras was for low light conditions. They had to manually change the film, in zero-G, in a cabin smaller than my closet AND do it fast enough to catch that amazing shot.

Back to the thread topic, kinda...we just had a fully loaded moving truck pull up in our driveway to unload. The moving crew was rather confused because they thought they were moving the furniture into an empty home and we were confused because we hadn't sold our home.

The movers had house keys (which didn't fit our locks) our address and someone else's name.

They called their dispatcher who said that she had questioned the customer about the town name and he insisted that the zip code he had given her was correct. The customer was close, our zip code is 12343 and his is 12334.

Easy mistake to make when having all of your possessions delivered somewhere, who hasn't done that in the past?!?

Comment

Oddly enough, that very song came to mind when we first met. She laughed at it when I played it for her. And I also had to explain the name Steely Dan.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        Also by the time I came along, not only were the party lines being phased out but also 7 digit dialing was becoming normal, replacing the two letter exchange followed by 4 or 5 digits.
        My grandmother's town still had party lines....as late as the 1990s A lot of it was because the phone company was cheap and didn't want to replace them...but also many residents didn't want to pay to upgrade. Every now and then, if you went to make a call, you could hear whatever the neighbors were talking about. Those lines were finally dropped when the county finally got 911 service. Granted, most of us joked about how you technically couldn't dial 9-1-1. You had to dial 1-9-1-1 instead

About the same time, the "star routes" were discontinued as well. Houses along the rural highways didn't have house numbers for a long time. Until 911 service came, and the dispatchers weren't always familiar with the local scene. For example, if you listed your address as "John Doe, Spraggs Star Route" everyone local knew that your house was somewhere along Route 218. When the emergency services were all handled locally, that system worked fine. Then things were centralized, and not everyone was familiar with areas well off the beaten path.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
          EARTHRISE!!! I really meant earthrise. I think you got it because you are also older than dirt and have seen that picture so often that you instantly knew what I meant. I'll bet we managed to confuse some of the kids here, though.

It was Apollo 8 and they were orbiting the moon. They were on the "dark" side, so the film in their handheld cameras was for low light conditions. They had to manually change the film, in zero-G, in a cabin smaller than my closet AND do it fast enough to catch that amazing shot.
          Older than dirt?!? Don't make me come over there and kick you with my orthopaedic shoes!!

As for that photo ... wow. And I was proud of some of the photos I took as a small-town newspaper reporter. At least I wasn't working in zero-gravity conditions!
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            ... kick you with my orthopaedic shoes!!
            I'd hit you with my walker except:
            (A) It's too heavy for me to lift and
            (B) I'd fall over without it to lean on.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
              Oddly enough, that very song came to mind when we first met. She laughed at it when I played it for her. And I also had to explain demonstrate the name Steely Dan.
              fixedthatforya
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Why am I now thinking of an old joke whose punchline is "I don't know, but that's the third thermos I've sold this week!"
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  I'm 2 years away from 50 now and I'm wondering the same thing.

BTW, I have an extra rocking chair on my front porch if you want to join me. We can sit and watch the young ones walk up the sidewalk talking on their phones and smoking while trying to hold their pants up.
                  I did key punch and handled card deck manifests lo these many years ago. I worked in a military freight terminal and handled small downline stations in Alaska and the Pacific. Now it's all done with computers. I also have vivid memories of turning 50, which was a few years ago. I also still drive a car that uses a key in the door to open up. Hey, it's paid for.

Comment

Working...
                  X