Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Andrea's" decisions regarding reserved events, ect. & questions for the members

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Andrea's" decisions regarding reserved events, ect. & questions for the members

Long post

"Andrea", the Director of Parking & Transportation Services, at the university I work at as a contract parking attendant, called me this morning around 11 a.m. regarding changes that need to be made when Visitor Parking is reserved for events.

Career Services has reserved several spots for 3 job fairs based on your major this week Tuesday through Thursday. In fact, the entire garage is reserved this Thursday for one of the job fairs. The job fairs begin at 3 p.m. The employers start arriving around 1:30 p.m.

So yesterday I had a late lunch since I had a big breakfast that morning. I had to go to the bathroom around 2:15 p.m. Many employers had already arrived at that point. The full sign was already on, & the big white sign stating Visitor Parking is closed for an event was in front of the 2 gates at the Visitor Parking booth. I have to call the Parking office & raise the 2 gates at the booth before leaving. So I call the Parking office. "Missy" answers the phone, & I tell her I will return very soon. There is a call box at the entrance gate, but there is not a call box at the Visitor Parking booth. While I was walking through the faculty/staff garage back to the booth I noticed a white car entering Visitor Parking. So I assumed that person was a job fair employer. I called the Parking office. "Missy" answered the phone, & I let her know I was back. She then asked me if a car was able to enter Visitor Parking. I told her I saw a white car enter the garage. She then said that someone had called them while I was away to let them know they were not able to enter the garage. Then several minutes later she called me to let me know that even though the company representative was able to park in Vistor Parking, a couple of her co-workers were not able to. Apparently they went to campus police & were told by them to park at the metered lot across the street. "Andrea" reports to the campus police chief. They could have called the Parking office to find out where they had to park, but they did not do that.

So "Andrea" calls me around 11 a.m. with some changes needing to be made regarding reserved events
    • make a sign to be posted at the Visitor Parking booth *on 8 1/2 by 11" sheet of paper stating The Attendant is away from the booth, She will return soon, She apologizies for the inconvenience, & for assistance to call the Parking office at xxx-xxx-xxxx (there is not a phone at the booth; you have to call the Parking office on your cell phone)
    • make 2 copies of that sign & post one copy on the window I open to speak to the customers & the other copy on the window facing the street
    • If Visitor Parking is reserved for the 2nd shift (which it is for all 3 job fairs), to reserve the garage 2 hours before the event begins no matter how many spots are reserved.
    Her reason: the Parking office is losing revenue. They only charge the dept. reserving the spots a $1.00 per spot. Everyone else has to pay the regular $5.00 parking fee.

She also said that the employers who parked at the metered lot Tuesday were rude, but she did not say to who. Then she changed the full sign back to open & told me to reserve the garage at 1 p.m.

Visitor Parking is used for many reasons
    • Students park there
    • Visitors park there
    • Guests attending reserved events park there

Then "Nancy" calls me around 3 p.m. to let me know that Career Services called them to ask them to change to full sign to open because some of the employers who arrived for Tuesday's job fair got confused & parked somewhere else. The thing is this...we were short 6 spots at that point.

My questions for members are
    • Is it a good idea for "Andrea" to make these changes no matter how many spots are reserved?
    • Will the guests actually see & read the sign posted at the booth & call the Parking office on their cell phone for assistance?

I think that the sign will help. You will still get people who don't have a way of calling, or can't be bothered to call. The first group, however, will still see that "ok, someone will be coming back, and there is indeed someone in charge". The second group will be a problem no matter what.

Comment

Working...
    X