This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical fun!

First off, my store actually has a functional "cooking classroom". It's a smallish room outfitted with a commercial gas stove, home style double electric oven, vent hood, fridge, freezer, and dishwasher. It's very rarely used for anything except meetings though.

Well, apparently, the circuit that both the fridge and freezer are on... has a random outlet in the product dept on it. Why, is beyond me. We've had multiple remodels over the years.

In the produce entry (we have 3 entrances), they had set up a portable bunker, and had steaks in it. That bunker requires a 20 amp dedicated circuit to itself. And got plugged into said outlet, along with 2 water fountains. So do the math, we have 1 freezer, 1 fridge, and 1 bunker, plus 2 fountains, on a single 20 amp circuit.

That breaker was tripping like crazy all day. Initially, we unplugged the fountains, thinking they were pushing it over 20 amps with the bunker - not knowing the cooking classroom coolers were on it.

A few of us use the cooking classroom fridge to keep our personal purchases in if we're closing. I went in there to put my beer in while counting my drawer, and... oh wait, the cooler is room temp, the light didn't come on, and the fan isn't running? Uh oh... check nearby breaker panel, and once again, the problematic breaker is tripped. 2+2 = oh shit numbskull electricians added an outlet to the "dedicated" fridge circuit.

The demo/marketing dept is going to be *VERY* pissed tomorrow, they had several hundred bucks worth of stuff in that fridge. And the meat dept mgr is already really pissed, since he had to write off over $500 worth of steaks (they had that bunker PACKED).

Electrical code states that ALL installed refrigerators need their own dedicated circuit - so we already have a violation by the fact that a fridge and stand alone freezer are on it. But some idiot decided that the ONLY outlet in the produce foyer should go on the same circuit... on the other side of the store.

I hate remodels.
Working...
X