This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so I'm a nerd.

I admit it. Probably 90% of the music on my YouTube playlists consists of video game music and remixes of video game music. I found this one today...

It makes me cry.

How nerdy is it to be reduced to tears by a video game music remix? It's a remix of a town theme from Final Fantasy 5. To listen to it just fills my head with all kinds of images of my hometown. In fact, I'm going to try to capture as many of them as possible with my camera and build a photo thread out of it, set, of course, to this music.

The things I see... The statue of the laughing, clapping little girl at the Civic Center, her face beaded with rainwater. The statue of Cornelia Vanderbilt, pensive and holding a sprig of magnolia in her hand, and her St. Bernard, Cedric. A churning sky above the gargoyles on the Jackson Building and the winged ram's heads on the Public Service Building. All the figures in all the stained glass windows in all the magnificent churches, the little brick plaza in front of the cathedral and the way the light falls in the basilica... The shady streets of West Asheville, the mansions in Grove Park and Montford. Seely's Castle perched on its bluff. That statue of Joan of Arc on the staircase tower at Biltmore House, that same racing sky overhead, the flag high above snapping in the breeze. The fountains in Pack Square playing and splashing... Shadows arcing and lengthening on the art deco buildings downtown as the sun charts its course. The statue of the woman at the veterans monument, holding a letter in her lap and waiting for a child who won't ever come home again -- I can see her especially with snow in her lap and icecicles hanging from her dress. All the mossy crosses and crypts, and the headless statues with their strange, eerie grace in Riverside Cemetery. The French Broad River flowing endlessly, endlessly as it has for a million years, flowing and younger only than the Nile and the New rivers. That, and those timeless mountains, oldest on earth, worn down and sleepy beneath their blanket of forest.

This song makes me see my home, and it makes me cry. God in heaven, I hope I never have to leave this place.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-02-2010, 06:22 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Nah, you're not a nerd. I think some of the best music came from the old school games.

I loved Secret of Mana - up until my SNES was killed by a blackout. I'd played it quite a few times through to the end with the ex and that was one of those nights where we were so close to the end. I was so bummed. I never did get another SNES, but I really really want to play Secret of Mana again.

Okay, that aside, I love this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWfG2BfTus&fmt=18

So happy and chipper. Who can't smile on a nice day with this music?
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Back in the days before YouTube and the like, I was forced to memorize my favorite video game music... This made the list. I've got great memories of Secret of Mana. For some reason I'd always get in a mood to play it around Thanksgiving, and so that's what I'd be doing while my mom slaved away in the kitchen.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
        <snip>
        I never did get another SNES, but I really really want to play Secret of Mana again.
        <snip!>
        If I'm interpreting the internet correctly, it's quite possible for you to do so. There's some sort of way you can convert a hard-core old-school game to computer, and I think you have to download a program to convert it to your personal computer. Secret of Mana might very well be playable for you with a download or two. I do not know, for I have never played a console game, other than a few minutes.
        My mother was all "no video games 4 u!" 'cuz I had enough attention problems as a kid. ... And now.
        Eh! I can totally splurge once I actually figure that stuff out, 'cuz it requires computer voodoo I do not have. If I googl'd hard enough, I could... but I should concentrate on my Latin instead, yeah?
        EDIT: I'm guessing people such as Draggar and Pedersen and Mikidowora (sp, srries) would know, I'm sure. Maybe even technincal_angel...
        also, hauntedheadnc-- DO IT DO IT DO IT! I want to seeeeee~!
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Best game music ever, in my opinion, comes from Streets of Rage one and two.

Example:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkSppihYM4
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
            I admit it. Probably 90% of the music on my YouTube playlists consists of video game music and remixes of video game music..
            Marry Me?
            I have been trying to get my fiance to understand the beauty of video game music for nearly a year now... I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys them
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Also, Streetfighter music. Every character has their own theme. ^^
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Also, Streetfighter music. Every character has their own theme. ^^
                Just for you.

Perhaps we should start a video game music appreciation thread?

Comment

Just for you.

Oh god yes. Cammy's one of my characters that I play; I find I get less hatred directed towards me when I play as her, than as I do whenever I play as Claw. Strange that... XD
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Works for me. There's a bunch of video game music that I have in my playlist. My favorite is still Justin Durban's "En Terra," a remix of the Final Fantasy 6's "Terra's Theme." The original is great, but Justin's version is just hauntingly beautiful.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                    X